Dr. Sheehan graduated from University College Dublin, Ireland in 1993. She undertook further training in Pediatrics and Neonatology in Ireland before completing a Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency at the Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, and a Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Dr. Sheehan joined the pediatric faculty at UT Southwestern in 2002 where she is an Associate Professor and Associate Vice Chair for Inpatient Services.
Her academic interests include; sepsis, pediatric transport, patient flow and patient safety. Dr. Sheehan has a number of administrative roles as the Chief of Inpatient Services and Physician Advisor at Children’s Medical Center.
- Medical School
- The University of Ireland (1993)
- St. Vincents Hospital - Dublin Ireland (1994), Surgery
- Boston Medical Center - GME (1994), Internal Medicine
- The Children's Hospital-Dublin, Ireland (1995), Pediatrics
- The National Maternity Hospital-Dublin, Ireland (1995), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (1999), Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital Medical Center (2002), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Interfacility Transport
- Patient safety and quality
- Performance Improvement
- Inpatient Bronchiolitis Guideline Implementation and Resource Utilization.
- Mittal V, Darnell C, Walsh B, Mehta A, Badawy M, Morse R, Pop R, Tidwell J, Sheehan M, McDermott S, Cannon C, Kahn J Pediatrics 2014 Feb
- Peroxisome proliferator activator receptor-gamma ligands, 15-deoxy-Delta(12,14)-prostaglandin J2 and ciglitazone, reduce systemic inflammation in polymicrobial sepsis by modulation of signal transduction pathways.
- Zingarelli B, Sheehan M, Hake PW, O'Connor M, Denenberg A, Cook JA J. Immunol. 2003 Dec 171 12 6827-37
- Parthenolide improves systemic hemodynamics and decreases tissue leukosequestration in rats with polymicrobial sepsis.
- Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Zingarelli B Crit. Care Med. 2003 Sep 31 9 2263-70
- Nuclear factor-kappaB as a therapeutic target in critical care medicine.
- Zingarelli B, Sheehan M, Wong HR Crit. Care Med. 2003 Jan 31 1 Suppl S105-11
- Yet another potential role for nitric oxide in the pathophysiology of septic shock.
- Sheehan M, Wong HR Crit. Care Med. 2002 Jun 30 6 1393-4
- Parthenolide, an inhibitor of the nuclear factor-kappaB pathway, ameliorates cardiovascular derangement and outcome in endotoxic shock in rodents.
- Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Malhotra V, O'Connor M, Zingarelli B Mol. Pharmacol. 2002 May 61 5 953-63
- Protective effects of isohelenin, an inhibitor of nuclear factor kappaB, in endotoxic shock in rats.
- Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Zingarelli B J. Endotoxin Res. 2002 8 2 99-107
Interfacility Transport. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 4th edition, Schafermeyer R, Tenenbein M, Macias C, Sharieff G, Yamamoto L, eds.
Sheehan M, Huang CJ (2014). McGraw-Hill
Pediatric Prehospital Care; Interfacility Transport. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts, 2nd edition, Strange G, Ahrens W, Schafermeyer R, Wiebe R, Prendergast H, Dobiesz V, eds.
Huang CJ, Sheehan M (2012). McGraw-Hill
Pre-Hospital Care; Interfacility Transport. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 3rd edition, Strange G, Ahrens W, Schafermeyer R, Wiebe R, eds.
Huang CJ, Sheehan M (2009). McGraw-Hill
Honors & Awards
- President of Medical and Dental Staff, Children's Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
- Specialty award
Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Society of Critical Care Medicine (2002)
- Educational scholarship
Society of Critical Care Medicine (2001)
- Air Medical Physician Association (2005)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1996)
- American College of Physician Advisors
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Texas Pediatric Society