Kenneth S. Chen, MD, is an Instructor of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern, and an Attending Physician in the Gill Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children’s Medical Center in Dallas, TX. He received his B.S.E. in biomedical engineering from Johns Hopkins University and M.D. from UT Southwestern. He then completed pediatric residency and pediatric hematology-oncology fellowship at UT Southwestern, where he joined the laboratory of James F. Amatruda. As a physician-scientist, he divides his time between his research laboratory and Children’s Medical Center in Dallas, where he specializes in the care of children with cancer and blood disorders. His research interests in the laboratory focus on understanding the genetic drivers of childhood cancers, especially Wilms tumor and germ cell tumors, and new strategies for treating them.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2006)
- Internship (Residency)
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2007), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2009), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2013), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Germ cell tumors
- Wilms tumor
- A novel TP53-KPNA3 translocation defines a de novo treatment-resistant clone in osteosarcoma.
- Chen KS, Kwon WS, Kim J, Heo SJ, Kim HS, Kim HK, Kim SH, Lee WS, Chung HC, Rha SY, Hwang TH Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud 2016 Sep 2 5 a000992
- p53 genes function to restrain mobile elements.
- Wylie A, Jones AE, D'Brot A, Lu WJ, Kurtz P, Moran JV, Rakheja D, Chen KS, Hammer RE, Comerford SA, Amatruda JF, Abrams JM Genes Dev. 2015 Dec
- Invited reply to amikacin ototoxicity in children with cancer: the problem is the administration schedule.
- Chen K, Bach A, Shoup A, Winick N Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 Feb 61 2 191
- Somatic mutations in DROSHA and DICER1 impair microRNA biogenesis through distinct mechanisms in Wilms tumours.
- Rakheja D, Chen KS, Liu Y, Shukla AA, Schmid V, Chang TC, Khokhar S, Wickiser JE, Karandikar NJ, Malter JS, Mendell JT, Amatruda JF Nat Commun 2014 2 4802
- Hearing loss and vestibular dysfunction among children with cancer after receiving aminoglycosides.
- Chen KS, Bach A, Shoup A, Winick NJ Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013 Jun
- A big catch for germ cell tumour research.
- Chen KS, Amatruda JF PLoS Genet. 2013 Apr 9 4 e1003481
- DNA methylation analysis reveals distinct methylation signatures in pediatric germ cell tumors.
- Amatruda JF, Ross JA, Christensen B, Fustino NJ, Chen KS, Hooten AJ, Nelson H, Kuriger JK, Rakheja D, Frazier AL, Poynter JN BMC Cancer 2013 13 1 313
- Hemolytic non-uremic syndrome.
- Chen KS, Neunert CE, Crary SE, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Jul 59 1 167-9
- A large T cell invagination with CD2 enrichment resets receptor engagement in the immunological synapse.
- Singleton K, Parvaze N, Dama KR, Chen KS, Jennings P, Purtic B, Sjaastad MD, Gilpin C, Davis MM, Wülfing C J. Immunol. 2006 Oct 177 7 4402-13
- Human natural killer cells: a unique innate immunoregulatory role for the CD56(bright) subset.
- Cooper MA, Fehniger TA, Turner SC, Chen KS, Ghaheri BA, Ghayur T, Carson WE, Caligiuri MA Blood 2001 May 97 10 3146-51
Honors & Awards
- Damon Runyon-Sohn Pediatric Cancer Fellow
- W.W. Caruth Scholar
Childrens Medical Center Foundation (2013)
- First Place, Critical Appraisal of Literature
Resident Section Poster Contest, Texas Pediatric Society (2008)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2012)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2010)
- American Society of Hematology (2010)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (2010)