Dr. Kapur completed her medical education in 1997 at the University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS), New Delhi, India. After completing a pathology residency in 2000 at Maulana Azad Medical Colledge, New Delhi, she was awarded the Dr RP Mathur Memorial Award for the best outgoing pathology resident. Subsequently, she came to Dallas and did a Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center (2002-2006). She is certified in Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology by the American Board of Pathology.
Currently she is on faculty in the Department of Pathology at UT Southwestern as a dedicated Genitourinary Pathologist. She is the Pathology representative at the UT Southwestern weekly Multidisciplinary Sarcoma DOT Conference, Urology Spence Conference, and monthly Multidisplinary Renal Cell Carcinoma Tumor Board. She is actively involved in Anatomic Pathology residency education and received the Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D. Resident Teaching Award in 2010 and 2011.
Dr. Payal Kapur is the Assistant Director (Anatomic Pathology) of UT Southwestern Pathology Residency Training, the Co-Director of UT Southwestern Tumor Registry Core Facility at Simmons Cancer Institution, the Director of the Philip O’Brien Montgomery Visiting Lectureship, and the Director of the Anatomical Pathology Resident Education Seminar Series.
Dr. Kapur’s research is focused on characterizing adult genitourinary tumors and developing prognostic, therapeutic, and diagnostic biomarkers. She is currently involved in multiple collaborative projects in genitourinary and gastrointestinal pathology.
|Medical School||University College of Medical Sciences (1997)|
|Residency||Maulana Azas Medical College (2000), Pathology|
|Internship||Parkland Health and Hospital System (2003), Pathology|
|Residency||Parkland Health and Hospital System (2006), Pathology|
- Genitourinary Pathology
- Bilharzial vs non-bilharzial related bladder cancer: pathological characteristics and value of cyclooxygenase-2 expression.
- Youssef R, Kapur P, Kabbani W, Shariat SF, Mosbah A, Abol-Enein H, Ghoniem M, Lotan Y BJU Int. 2011 Jul 108 1 31-7
- Interplay between pVHL and mTORC1 pathways in clear-cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Kucejova B, Peña-Llopis S, Yamasaki T, Sivanand S, Tran TA, Alexander S, Wolff NC, Lotan Y, Xie XJ, Kabbani W, Kapur P, Brugarolas J Molecular cancer research : MCR 2011 Jul 1255-65
- Primary adenocarcinoma of the urinary bladder: value of cell cycle biomarkers.
- Kapur P, Lotan Y, King E, Kabbani W, Mitra AP, Mosbah A, Abol-Enein H, Ghoneim M, Youssef RF Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2011 Jun 135 6 822-30
- Tailoring treatment of rectal adenocarcinoma: immunohistochemistry for predictive biomarkers.
- Kapur P Anticancer Drugs 2011 Apr 22 4 362-70
- Expression of cell cycle-related molecular markers in patients treated with radical cystectomy for squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder.
- Youssef RF, Shariat SF, Kapur P, Kabbani W, Ghoneim T, King E, Cockburn A, Mosbah A, Abol-Enein H, Ghoneim M, Lotan Y Hum. Pathol. 2011 Mar 42 3 347-55
- Prognostic value of cyclooxygenase-2 expression in squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder.
- Youssef RF, Shariat SF, Kapur P, Kabbani W, Mosbah A, Abol-Enein H, Ghoniem M, Lotan Y J. Urol. 2011 Mar 185 3 1112-7
- Immunohistochemical expression of neural cell adhesion molecule in Wilms tumors, nephrogenic rests, and fetal and postnatal renal cortices.
- Kapur P, Rakheja D Pediatr. Dev. Pathol. 2011 Jan-Feb 14 1 16-9
- Microsatellite instability among individuals of Hispanic origin with colorectal cancer.
- Gupta S, Ashfaq R, Kapur P, Afonso BB, Nguyen TP, Ansari F, Boland CR, Goel A, Rockey DC Cancer 2010 Nov 116 21 4965-72
- Tissue microarray constructs to predict a response to chemoradiation in rectal cancer.
- Huerta S, Hrom J, Gao X, Saha D, Anthony T, Reinhart H, Kapur P Dig Liver Dis 2010 Oct 42 10 679-84
- Characterization of inflammation in syphilitic villitis and in villitis of unknown etiology.
- Kapur P, Rakheja D, Gomez AM, Sheffield J, Sanchez P, Rogers BB. Pediatric and Development Pathology September 2004 7(5) 453-8
Honors & Awards
- Vernie A. Stembridge
Resident Teaching Award (2011)
- Vernie A. Stembridge
Resident Teaching Award (2010)
- Resident’s Case Presentation Award
For the essay entitled "Mosaic variegated aneuploidy: a case report". Society for Pediatric Pathology. (2004)
- Gordon L. Vawter Award
Pathologist-in-training Award for platform presentation entitled "MIB-1 Labeling Index predicts progression free survival in a large group of pediatric pilocytic astrocytomas". Society for Pediatric Pathology. (2002)