Dr. Zhong studies the biochemical regulation of autophagy in mammalian cells. Autophagy is the crucial waste cleaning system for the cell. Removal of damage organelles, protein aggregates and invading pathogens relies on autophagy. Autophagy is also important for organelle biogenesis and stress response. Dysfunction of autophagy has been implicated in a broad spectrum of human diseases, including cancers, neurodegenerative diseases, infectious diseases and metabolic diseases. During autophagy, a double membrane vesicle termed autophagosome is formed with engulfed cellular cargoes and then fused with lysosomes for degradation. Dr. Zhong is specifically interested in dissecting the biochemical mechanisms in this process including lipid modification, membrane deformation, membrane curvature sensing, cargo recruitment, and membrane tethering/fusion. Understanding the key regulatory steps in this pathway will allow us to develop new therapeutic tools for human diseases. Dr. Zhong also studies cancer drugs induced apoptosis and necrosis, and their interconnection with autophagy.
|Medical School||Peking Union Medical College - (1995), Medicine|
|Graduate School||University of Texas Health Sci (2001), Medicine|
- Biochemical mechanisms of autophagy
- DNA damage and HDACi induced apoptosis
- Primary ciliogenesis
- Regulated necrosis
- Autophagy promotes primary ciliogenesis by removing OFD1 from centriolar satellites.
- Tang Z, Lin MG, Stowe TR, Chen S, Zhu M, Stearns T, Franco B, Zhong Q Nature 2013 Oct
- ULK1 targets Beclin-1 in autophagy.
- Nazarko VY, Zhong Q Nat. Cell Biol. 2013 Jul 15 7 727-8
- A mammalian autophagosome maturation mechanism mediated by TECPR1 and the Atg12-Atg5 conjugate.
- Chen D, Fan W, Lu Y, Ding X, Chen S, Zhong Q Mol. Cell 2012 Mar 45 5 629-41
- Mule determines the apoptotic response to HDAC inhibitors by targeted ubiquitination and destruction of HDAC2.
- Zhang J, Kan S, Huang B, Hao Z, Mak TW, Zhong Q Genes Dev. 2011 Dec 25 24 2610-8
- Autophagosome targeting and membrane curvature sensing by Barkor/Atg14(L).
- Fan W, Nassiri A, Zhong Q Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 May 108 19 7769-74
- Rubicon controls endosome maturation as a Rab7 effector.
- Sun Q, Westphal W, Wong KN, Tan I, Zhong Q Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Nov 107 45 19338-43
- Identification of Barkor as a mammalian autophagy-specific factor for Beclin 1 and class III phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase.
- Sun Q, Fan W, Chen K, Ding X, Chen S, Zhong Q Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2008 Dec 105 49 19211-6
- Differential regulation of distinct Vps34 complexes by AMPK in nutrient stress and autophagy.
- Kim J, Kim YC, Fang C, Russell RC, Kim JH, Fan W, Liu R, Zhong Q, Guan KL Cell 2013 Jan 152 1-2 290-303
- Mule/ARF-BP1, a BH3-only E3 ubiquitin ligase, catalyzes the polyubiquitination of Mcl-1 and regulates apoptosis.
- Zhong Q, Gao W, Du F, Wang X Cell 2005 Jul 121 7 1085-95
- Association of BRCA1 with the hRad50-hMre11-p95 complex and the DNA damage response.
- Zhong Q, Chen CF, Li S, Chen Y, Wang CC, Xiao J, Chen PL, Sharp ZD, Lee WH Science 1999 Jul 285 5428 747-50
Honors & Awards
- Research Scholar
American Cancer Society (2011)
- New Scholar in Aging
The Ellison Medical Foundation (2007)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2007)
- American Society for Cell Biology (2007)