Dr. Rosen is the Chair of the Department of Biophysics at UT Southwestern and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Prior to moving to UT Southwestern in 2001 he was a member of the Cellular Biochemistry and Biophysics Program at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He received undergraduate degrees in chemistry and in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan in 1987, and then spent a year in Alan Battersby’s lab in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge as a Winston Churchill Foundation Scholar. He received his Ph.D. in chemistry from Harvard University in 1993 under the direction of Stuart Schreiber, where he studied the structure and function of the FK506 binding protein, FKBP12. He was a Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell post-doctoral fellow in the laboratories of Tony Pawson and Lewis Kay at the University of Toronto, where he studied regulation of the signaling adaptor protein, Crk, and developed methods of selective methyl group labeling of proteins for NMR spectroscopy. The Rosen lab website can be found at: www.utsouthwestern.edu/labs/rosen/
|Undergraduate||University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (1987), Chemical Engineering|
|Undergraduate||University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (1987), Chemistry|
|Graduate School||Harvard University (1993), Organic Chemistry|
- cell biology of the actin cytoskeleton
- polymer physics/chemistry
- structural biology
- Phase transitions in the assembly of multivalent signalling proteins.
- Li P, Banjade S, Cheng HC, Kim S, Chen B, Guo L, Llaguno M, Hollingsworth JV, King DS, Banani SF, Russo PS, Jiang QX, Nixon BT, Rosen MK Nature 2012 Mar 483 7389 336-40
- Structure and control of the actin regulatory WAVE complex.
- Chen Z, Borek D, Padrick SB, Gomez TS, Metlagel Z, Ismail AM, Umetani J, Billadeau DD, Otwinowski Z, Rosen MK Nature 2010 Nov 468 7323 533-8
- Structural and Energetic Mechanisms of Cooperative Autoinhibition and Activation of Vav1
- Yu, B., Martins, I. R. S., Li, P., Amarasinghe, G. K., Umetani, J., Fernandez-Zapico, M., Billadeau, D. D., Machius, M., Tomchick, D. R., Rosen, M. K. Cell 2010 140 246-256
- Hierarchical Regulation of WASP/WAVE Proteins
- Padrick, S. B., Cheng, H.-C. C., Ismail, A., Panchal, S. C., Doolittle, L. K., Kim, S., Skehan, B.M., Umetani, J., Brautigam, C. A., Leong, J. M., Rosen, M. K. Mol. Cell 2008 32 426-438
- Multiple repeat elements within the FAM21 tail link the WASH actin regulatory complex to the retromer.
- Jia D, Gomez TS, Billadeau DD, Rosen MK Mol. Biol. Cell 2012 Jun 23 12 2352-61
- Mechanism of actin filament nucleation by the bacterial effector VopL.
- Yu B, Cheng HC, Brautigam CA, Tomchick DR, Rosen MK Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2011 Sep 18 9
- Physical mechanisms of signal integration by WASP family proteins.
- Padrick SB, Rosen MK Annu. Rev. Biochem. 2010 79 707-35
- Structural Mechanism of WASP Activation by the Enterohaemorrhagic E. Coli Effector EspFu
- Cheng, H.-C., Skehan, B. M., Leong, J. M., Rosen, M. K. Nature May 2008 454 1009-1013
- Internal Dynamics Control Activation and Activity of the Autoinhibited Vav DH Domain
- Li, P., Martins, I. R. S., Amarasinghe, G. K. and Rosen, M. K. Nature Structural and Molecular Biology May 2008 15(6) 613-618
Honors & Awards
- Mar Nell and F. Andrew Bell Distinguished Chair in Biochemistry
- Carolyn R. Bacon Professorship in Medical Science and Education
- Edith & Peter O’Donnell Award from the Texas Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Sidney Kimmel Scholar Award
- Beckman Young Investigator
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Winston Churchill Scholar