Dr. Rosen is the Chair of the Department of Biophysics at UT Southwestern and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Prior to moving to UT Southwestern in 2001 he was a member of the Cellular Biochemistry and Biophysics Program at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He received undergraduate degrees in chemistry and in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan in 1987, and then spent a year in Alan Battersby’s lab in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge as a Winston Churchill Foundation Scholar. He received his Ph.D. in chemistry from Harvard University in 1993 under the direction of Stuart Schreiber, where he studied the structure and function of the FK506 binding protein, FKBP12. He was a Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell post-doctoral fellow in the laboratories of Tony Pawson and Lewis Kay at the University of Toronto, where he studied regulation of the signaling adaptor protein, Crk, and developed methods of selective methyl group labeling of proteins for NMR spectroscopy. The Rosen lab website can be found at: www.utsouthwestern.edu/labs/rosen/
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (1987), Chemical Engineering
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (1987), Chemistry
- Graduate School
- Harvard University (1993), Organic Chemistry
- cell biology of the actin cytoskeleton
- polymer physics/chemistry
- structural biology
- Phase transitions in the assembly of multivalent signalling proteins.
- Li P, Banjade S, Cheng HC, Kim S, Chen B, Guo L, Llaguno M, Hollingsworth JV, King DS, Banani SF, Russo PS, Jiang QX, Nixon BT, Rosen MK Nature 2012 Mar 483 7389 336-40
- Structure and control of the actin regulatory WAVE complex.
- Chen Z, Borek D, Padrick SB, Gomez TS, Metlagel Z, Ismail AM, Umetani J, Billadeau DD, Otwinowski Z, Rosen MK Nature 2010 Nov 468 7323 533-8
- Structural and Energetic Mechanisms of Cooperative Autoinhibition and Activation of Vav1
- Yu, B., Martins, I. R. S., Li, P., Amarasinghe, G. K., Umetani, J., Fernandez-Zapico, M., Billadeau, D. D., Machius, M., Tomchick, D. R., Rosen, M. K. Cell 2010 140 246-256
- Hierarchical Regulation of WASP/WAVE Proteins
- Padrick, S. B., Cheng, H.-C. C., Ismail, A., Panchal, S. C., Doolittle, L. K., Kim, S., Skehan, B.M., Umetani, J., Brautigam, C. A., Leong, J. M., Rosen, M. K. Mol. Cell 2008 32 426-438
- Methyl labeling and TROSY NMR spectroscopy of proteins expressed in the eukaryote Pichia pastoris.
- Clark L, Zahm JA, Ali R, Kukula M, Bian L, Patrie SM, Gardner KH, Rosen MK, Rosenbaum DM J. Biomol. NMR 2015 May
- Phase transitions of multivalent proteins can promote clustering of membrane receptors.
- Banjade S, Rosen MK Elife 2014 Oct 3
- Ena/VASP Proteins Cooperate with the WAVE Complex to Regulate the Actin Cytoskeleton.
- Chen XJ, Squarr AJ, Stephan R, Chen B, Higgins TE, Barry DJ, Martin MC, Rosen MK, Bogdan S, Way M Dev. Cell 2014 Sep 30 5 569-84
- Retromer Binding to FAM21 and the WASH Complex Is Perturbed by the Parkinson Disease-Linked VPS35(D620N) Mutation.
- McGough IJ, Steinberg F, Jia D, Barbuti PA, McMillan KJ, Heesom KJ, Whone AL, Caldwell MA, Billadeau DD, Rosen MK, Cullen PJ Curr. Biol. 2014 Jul 24 14 1670-6
- Local F-actin Network Links Synapse Formation and Axon Branching.
- Chia PH, Chen B, Li P, Rosen MK, Shen K Cell 2014 Jan 156 1-2 208-20
- The WAVE Regulatory Complex Links Diverse Receptors to the Actin Cytoskeleton.
- Chen B, Brinkmann K, Chen Z, Pak CW, Liao Y, Shi S, Henry L, Grishin NV, Bogdan S, Rosen MK Cell 2014 Jan 156 1-2 195-207
Honors & Awards
- Mar Nell and F. Andrew Bell Distinguished Chair in Biochemistry
- Carolyn R. Bacon Professorship in Medical Science and Education
- Edith & Peter O’Donnell Award from the Texas Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Sidney Kimmel Scholar Award
- Beckman Young Investigator
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Winston Churchill Scholar