Dr. Rosen is the Chair of the Department of Biophysics at UT Southwestern and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Prior to moving to UT Southwestern in 2001 he was a member of the Cellular Biochemistry and Biophysics Program at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He received undergraduate degrees in chemistry and in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan in 1987, and then spent a year in Alan Battersby’s lab in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge as a Winston Churchill Foundation Scholar. He received his Ph.D. in chemistry from Harvard University in 1993 under the direction of Stuart Schreiber, where he studied the structure and function of the FK506 binding protein, FKBP12. He was a Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell post-doctoral fellow in the laboratories of Tony Pawson and Lewis Kay at the University of Toronto, where he studied regulation of the signaling adaptor protein, Crk, and developed methods of selective methyl group labeling of proteins for NMR spectroscopy. The Rosen lab website can be found at: www.utsouthwestern.edu/labs/rosen/
- University of Michigan-Ann Arb (1987), Chemical Engineering
- University of Michigan-Ann Arb (1987), Chemistry
- Graduate School
- Harvard University (1993), Organic Chemistry
- cell biology of the actin cytoskeleton
- polymer physics/chemistry
- structural biology
- Biomolecular condensates: organizers of cellular biochemistry.
- Banani SF, Lee HO, Hyman AA, Rosen MK Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2017 Feb
- Compositional Control of Phase-Separated Cellular Bodies.
- Banani SF, Rice AM, Peeples WB, Lin Y, Jain S, Parker R, Rosen MK Cell 2016 Jul 166 3 651-63
- Sequence Determinants of Intracellular Phase Separation by Complex Coacervation of a Disordered Protein.
- Pak CW, Kosno M, Holehouse AS, Padrick SB, Mittal A, Ali R, Yunus AA, Liu DR, Pappu RV, Rosen MK Mol. Cell 2016 Jul 63 1 72-85
- Phase separation of signaling molecules promotes T cell receptor signal transduction.
- Su X, Ditlev JA, Hui E, Xing W, Banjade S, Okrut J, King DS, Taunton J, Rosen MK, Vale RD Science 2016 Apr 352 6285 595-9
- Formation and Maturation of Phase-Separated Liquid Droplets by RNA-Binding Proteins.
- Lin Y, Protter DS, Rosen MK, Parker R Mol. Cell 2015 Sep
- Phase transitions of multivalent proteins can promote clustering of membrane receptors.
- Banjade S, Rosen MK Elife 2014 Oct 3
- Phase transitions in the assembly of multivalent signalling proteins.
- Li P, Banjade S, Cheng HC, Kim S, Chen B, Guo L, Llaguno M, Hollingsworth JV, King DS, Banani SF, Russo PS, Jiang QX, Nixon BT, Rosen MK Nature 2012 Mar 483 7389 336-40
- ATP controls the crowd.
- Rice AM, Rosen MK Science 2017 May 356 6339 701-702
- Reconstitution of TCR Signaling Using Supported Lipid Bilayers.
- Su X, Ditlev JA, Rosen MK, Vale RD Methods Mol. Biol. 2017 1584 65-76
- Actin is an evolutionarily-conserved damage-associated molecular pattern that signals tissue injury in Drosophila melanogaster.
- Srinivasan N, Gordon O, Ahrens S, Franz A, Deddouche S, Chakravarty P, Phillips D, Yunus AA, Rosen MK, Valente RS, Teixeira L, Thompson B, Dionne MS, Wood W, Reis E Sousa C Elife 2016 Nov 5
Honors & Awards
- Mar Nell and F. Andrew Bell Distinguished Chair in Biochemistry
- Carolyn R. Bacon Professorship in Medical Science and Education
- Edith & Peter O’Donnell Award from the Texas Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Sidney Kimmel Scholar Award
- Beckman Young Investigator
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Winston Churchill Scholar