Dr. Rosen is the Chair of the Department of Biophysics at UT Southwestern and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Prior to moving to UT Southwestern in 2001 he was a member of the Cellular Biochemistry and Biophysics Program at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. He received undergraduate degrees in chemistry and in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan in 1987, and then spent a year in Alan Battersby’s lab in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge as a Winston Churchill Foundation Scholar. He received his Ph.D. in chemistry from Harvard University in 1993 under the direction of Stuart Schreiber, where he studied the structure and function of the FK506 binding protein, FKBP12. He was a Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell post-doctoral fellow in the laboratories of Tony Pawson and Lewis Kay at the University of Toronto, where he studied regulation of the signaling adaptor protein, Crk, and developed methods of selective methyl group labeling of proteins for NMR spectroscopy. The Rosen lab website can be found at: www.utsouthwestern.edu/labs/rosen/
- University of Michigan-Ann Arb (1987), Chemical Engineering
- University of Michigan-Ann Arb (1987), Chemistry
- Graduate School
- Harvard University (1993), Organic Chemistry
- cell biology of the actin cytoskeleton
- polymer physics/chemistry
- structural biology
- Phase separation of signaling molecules promotes T cell receptor signal transduction.
- Su X, Ditlev JA, Hui E, Xing W, Banjade S, Okrut J, King DS, Taunton J, Rosen MK, Vale RD Science 2016 Apr 352 6285 595-9
- Formation and Maturation of Phase-Separated Liquid Droplets by RNA-Binding Proteins.
- Lin Y, Protter DS, Rosen MK, Parker R Mol. Cell 2015 Sep
- Phase transitions of multivalent proteins can promote clustering of membrane receptors.
- Banjade S, Rosen MK Elife 2014 Oct 3
- The WAVE Regulatory Complex Links Diverse Receptors to the Actin Cytoskeleton.
- Chen B, Brinkmann K, Chen Z, Pak CW, Liao Y, Shi S, Henry L, Grishin NV, Bogdan S, Rosen MK Cell 2014 Jan 156 1-2 195-207
- The bacterial effector VopL organizes actin into filament-like structures.
- Zahm JA, Padrick SB, Chen Z, Pak CW, Yunus AA, Henry L, Tomchick DR, Chen Z, Rosen MK Cell 2013 Oct 155 2 423-34
- Phase transitions in the assembly of multivalent signalling proteins.
- Li P, Banjade S, Cheng HC, Kim S, Chen B, Guo L, Llaguno M, Hollingsworth JV, King DS, Banani SF, Russo PS, Jiang QX, Nixon BT, Rosen MK Nature 2012 Mar 483 7389 336-40
- Compositional Control of Phase-Separated Cellular Bodies.
- Banani SF, Rice AM, Peeples WB, Lin Y, Jain S, Parker R, Rosen MK Cell 2016 Jul 166 3 651-63
- Sequence Determinants of Intracellular Phase Separation by Complex Coacervation of a Disordered Protein.
- Pak CW, Kosno M, Holehouse AS, Padrick SB, Mittal A, Ali R, Yunus AA, Liu DR, Pappu RV, Rosen MK Mol. Cell 2016 Jul 63 1 72-85
- Data publication with the structural biology data grid supports live analysis.
- Meyer PA, Socias S, Key J, Ransey E, Tjon EC, Buschiazzo A, Lei M, Botka C, Withrow J, Neau D, Rajashankar K, Anderson KS, Baxter RH, Blacklow SC, Boggon TJ, Bonvin AM, Borek D, Brett TJ, Caflisch A, Chang CI, Chazin WJ, Corbett KD, Cosgrove MS, Crosson S, Dhe-Paganon S, Di Cera E, Drennan CL, Eck MJ, Eichman BF, Fan QR, Ferré-D'Amaré AR, Christopher Fromme J, Garcia KC, Gaudet R, Gong P, Harrison SC, Heldwein EE, Jia Z, Keenan RJ, Kruse AC, Kvansakul M, McLellan JS, Modis Y, Nam Y, Otwinowski Z, Pai EF, Pereira PJ, Petosa C, Raman CS, Rapoport TA, Roll-Mecak A, Rosen MK, Rudenko G, Schlessinger J, Schwartz TU, Shamoo Y, Sondermann H, Tao YJ, Tolia NH, Tsodikov OV, Westover KD, Wu H, Foster I, Fraser JS, Maia FR, Gonen T, Kirchhausen T, Diederichs K, Crosas M, Sliz P Nat Commun 2016 7 10882
- Conserved interdomain linker promotes phase separation of the multivalent adaptor protein Nck.
- Banjade S, Wu Q, Mittal A, Peeples WB, Pappu RV, Rosen MK Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2015 Nov
Honors & Awards
- Mar Nell and F. Andrew Bell Distinguished Chair in Biochemistry
- Carolyn R. Bacon Professorship in Medical Science and Education
- Edith & Peter O’Donnell Award from the Texas Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Sidney Kimmel Scholar Award
- Beckman Young Investigator
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Winston Churchill Scholar