Dr. Edaire Cheng obtained her BS degree from Rice University (2001) and her MD degree from University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2005). She completed her residency in pediatric medicine (2008) and her fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology (2011) at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center/Children’s Medical Center in Dallas.
Dr. Cheng’s clinical interests include eosinophilic esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease. Her research interests include understanding the mechanisms of eosinophilic infiltration and tissue remodeling in the esophagus.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2005)
- UT Southwestern / Children's Medical Center (2008), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern / Children's Medical Center (2011), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Eotaxin-3 expression in eosinophilic esophagitis and GERD
- Therapeutic agents for eosinophilic esophagitis
- Tissue remodeling and fibrosis in eosinophilic esophagitis
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Interactions with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.
- Cheng E, Souza RF, Spechler SJ Gastroenterol. Clin. North Am. 2014 Jun 43 2 243-256
- Proton pump inhibitors decrease eotaxin-3 expression in the proximal esophagus of children with esophageal eosinophilia.
- Park JY, Zhang X, Nguyen N, Souza RF, Spechler SJ, Cheng E PLoS ONE 2014 9 7 e101391
- Proton pump inhibitors for eosinophilic oesophagitis.
- Cheng E Curr. Opin. Gastroenterol. 2013 Jul 29 4 416-20
- Omeprazole blocks eotaxin-3 expression by oesophageal squamous cells from patients with eosinophilic oesophagitis and GORD.
- Cheng E, Zhang X, Huo X, Yu C, Zhang Q, Wang DH, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2013 Jun 62 6 824-32
- Tissue remodeling in eosinophilic esophagitis.
- Cheng E, Souza RF, Spechler SJ Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2012 Dec 303 11 G1175-87
- Omeprazole blocks STAT6 binding to the eotaxin-3 promoter in eosinophilic esophagitis cells.
- Zhang X, Cheng E, Huo X, Yu C, Zhang Q, Pham TH, Wang DH, Spechler SJ, Souza RF PLoS ONE 2012 7 11 e50037
- Deoxycholic acid causes DNA damage while inducing apoptotic resistance through NF-?B activation in benign Barrett's epithelial cells.
- Huo X, Juergens S, Zhang X, Rezaei D, Yu C, Strauch ED, Wang JY, Cheng E, Meyer F, Wang DH, Zhang Q, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2011 Aug 301 2 G278-86
- Cancer-related inflammation and Barrett's carcinogenesis: interleukin-6 and STAT3 mediate apoptotic resistance in transformed Barrett's cells.
- Zhang HY, Zhang Q, Zhang X, Yu C, Huo X, Cheng E, Wang DH, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2011 Mar 300 3 G454-60
Relationship of Eosinophilic Esophagitis To Gastroesophageal Reflux. In Eosinophilic Esophagitis
Edaire Cheng, Harlan Winter, Stuart Spechler (2011). New York, Springer
Honors & Awards
- American Gastroenterological Association Research Scholar Award
- NASPGHAN Foundation/AstraZeneca Award
for Disorders of the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract (2012)
- Distinguished Achievement Award - North American Conference of Gastroenterology Fellows
Abstract and Travel Award (2011)
- Fellowship2Leadership Gastroenterology/Hepatology Fellows' Travel Grant
Travel Award (2010)
- Gastroenterology Research Group Fellows Travel Award
Abstract and Travel Award (2010)
- Magna Cum Laude
- American Gastroenterological Association (2009)
- Gastroenterology Research Group (2009)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (2008)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)