Dr. Edaire Cheng obtained her BS degree from Rice University (2001) and her MD degree from University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2005). She completed her residency in pediatric medicine (2008) and her fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology (2011) at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center/Children’s Medical Center in Dallas.
Dr. Cheng’s clinical interests include eosinophilic esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease. Her research interests include understanding the mechanisms of eosinophilic infiltration and tissue remodeling in the esophagus.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2005)
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2008), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (2011), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Eotaxin-3 expression in eosinophilic esophagitis and GERD
- Therapeutic agents for eosinophilic esophagitis
- Tissue remodeling and fibrosis in eosinophilic esophagitis
- Mitochondrial STAT3 Contributes to Transformation of Barrett's Epithelial Cells that Express Oncogenic Ras in a p53-Independent Fashion.
- Yu C, Huo X, Agoston AT, Zhang X, Theiss AL, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Zaika A, Pham TH, Wang DH, Lobie PE, Odze RD, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2015 Jun ajpgi.00462.2014
- In oesophageal squamous cells, nitric oxide causes S-nitrosylation of Akt and blocks SOX2 (sex determining region Y-box 2) expression.
- Asanuma K, Huo X, Agoston A, Zhang X, Yu C, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Dunbar KB, Pham TH, Wang DH, Iijima K, Shimosegawa T, Odze RD, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2015 May
- Translating New Developments in Eosinophilic Esophagitis Pathogenesis into Clinical Practice.
- Cheng E Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 2015 Jan
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Interactions with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.
- Cheng E, Souza RF, Spechler SJ Gastroenterol. Clin. North Am. 2014 Jun 43 2 243-256
- In Barrett's Esophagus Patients and Barrett's Cell Lines, Ursodeoxycholic Acid Increases Antioxidant Expression and Prevents DNA Damage by Bile Acids.
- Peng S, Huo X, Rezaei D, Zhang Q, Zhang X, Yu C, Asanuma K, Cheng E, Pham TH, Wang DH, Chen M, Souza RF, Spechler SJ Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2014 May
- Autocrine VEGF signaling promotes proliferation of neoplastic Barrett's epithelial cells through a PLC-dependent pathway.
- Zhang Q, Yu C, Peng S, Xu H, Wright E, Zhang X, Huo X, Cheng E, Pham TH, Asanuma K, Hatanpaa KJ, Rezai D, Wang DH, Sarode V, Melton S, Genta RM, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gastroenterology 2014 Feb 146 2 461-72.e6
- Proton pump inhibitors decrease eotaxin-3 expression in the proximal esophagus of children with esophageal eosinophilia.
- Park JY, Zhang X, Nguyen N, Souza RF, Spechler SJ, Cheng E PLoS ONE 2014 9 7 e101391
- In oesophageal squamous cells exposed to acidic bile salt medium, omeprazole inhibits IL-8 expression through effects on nuclear factor-?B and activator protein-1.
- Huo X, Zhang X, Yu C, Zhang Q, Cheng E, Wang DH, Pham TH, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2013 Sep
- Proton pump inhibitors for eosinophilic oesophagitis.
- Cheng E Curr. Opin. Gastroenterol. 2013 Jul 29 4 416-20
- Omeprazole blocks eotaxin-3 expression by oesophageal squamous cells from patients with eosinophilic oesophagitis and GORD.
- Cheng E, Zhang X, Huo X, Yu C, Zhang Q, Wang DH, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2013 Jun 62 6 824-32
Relationship of Eosinophilic Esophagitis To Gastroesophageal Reflux. In Eosinophilic Esophagitis, C. Liacouras, J. Markovitz, eds.
Cheng E, Winter H, Spechler S. (2011). New York, Springer
Honors & Awards
- Research Scholar Award
American Gastroenterological Association (2013)
- First Place Award - Research Poster Presentation
Dallas VA Medical Center Research Week (2012)
- NASPGHAN Foundation/AstraZeneca Award
for Disorders of the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract (2012)
- Distinguished Achievement Award - North American Conference of Gastroenterology Fellows
Abstract and Travel Award (2011)
- Fellowship2Leadership Gastroenterology/Hepatology Fellows' Travel Grant
Travel Award (2010)
- Gastroenterology Research Group Fellows Travel Award
Abstract and Travel Award (2010)
- SWMS Dean's Competitive Scholarship
UT Southwestern Medical School (2002-2004)
- Magna Cum Laude
- Medical Center Woman's Club Scholarship
UT Southwestern Medical School (2001-2002)
- UTSW Alumni Scholarship Program
UT Southwestern (2001-2003)
- American Gastroenterological Association Women's Committee (2015)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2009)
- Gastroenterology Research Group (2009)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (2008)