Dr. Cindy Darnell-Bowens completed medical school at the University of Louisville Medical School followed by Pediatric Residency at the University of Tennessee at Memphis. She joined UT Southwestern in 2001 as a Pediatric Critical Care Fellow, and at the conclusion of fellowship became Assistant Professor in Pediatric Critical Care. Dr. Bowens’ interests in clinical research lead to her to obtain a Masters in Clinical Science with distinction in 2009. Subsequently, she participated in several clinical research trials focused on furthering the pediatric critical care experience in sedation management. Most recently, Dr. Bowens has used her research experience to facilitate numerous quality initiatives in the PICU.
Dr. Bowens serves as Medical Director of the PICU at Children’s Medical Center Dallas.
- Medical School
- University of Louisville School of Medicine (1998)
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (1999), Pediatrics
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (2001), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (2009)
- Pain control
- Accuracy of an Extubation Readiness Test in Predicting Successful Extubation in Children With Acute Respiratory Failure From Lower Respiratory Tract Disease.
- Faustino EV, Gedeit R, Schwarz AJ, Asaro LA, Wypij D, Curley MA Crit. Care Med. 2017 Jan 45 1 94-102
- Dexmedetomidine Use in Critically Ill Children With Acute Respiratory Failure.
- Grant MJ, Schneider JB, Asaro LA, Dodson BL, Hall BA, Simone SL, Cowl AS, Munkwitz MM, Wypij D, Curley MA Pediatr Crit Care Med 2016 Sep
- Staphylococcus aureus a-toxin Response Distinguishes Respiratory Virus-MRSA Co-infection in Children.
- Yu KO, Randolph AG, Agan AA, Yip WK, Truemper E, Weiss S, Ackerman K, Schwarz A, Guiliani J, Hall MW, Bubeck Wardenburg J J. Infect. Dis. 2016 Sep
- Early High-Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation in Pediatric Acute Respiratory Failure. A Propensity Score Analysis.
- Bateman ST, Borasino S, Asaro LA, Cheifetz IM, Diane S, Wypij D, Curley MA Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2016 Mar 193 5 495-503
- Protocolized sedation vs usual care in pediatric patients mechanically ventilated for acute respiratory failure: a randomized clinical trial.
- Curley MA, Wypij D, Watson RS, Grant MJ, Asaro LA, Cheifetz IM, Dodson BL, Franck LS, Gedeit RG, Angus DC, Matthay MA JAMA 2015 Jan 313 4 379-89
- Inpatient Bronchiolitis Guideline Implementation and Resource Utilization.
- Mittal V, Darnell C, Walsh B, Mehta A, Badawy M, Morse R, Pop R, Tidwell J, Sheehan M, McDermott S, Cannon C, Kahn J Pediatrics 2014 Feb
- Development of a bedside tool to predict time to death after withdrawal of life-sustaining therapies in infants and children.
- Shore PM, Huang R, Roy L, Darnell C, Grein H, Robertson T, Thompson L Pediatr Crit Care Med 2012 Jul 13 4 415-22
- Potential for liver and kidney donation after circulatory death in infants and children.
- Shore PM, Huang R, Roy L, Darnell C, Grein H, Robertson T, Thompson L Pediatrics 2011 Sep 128 3 e631-8
- A call for full public disclosure for donation after circulatory determination of death in children.
- Nakagawa TA, Rigby MR, Bratton S, Shemie S, Ajizian SJ, Berkowitz I, Bowens CD, Cosio CC, Curley MA, Dhanani S, Dobyns E, Easterling L, Fortenberry JD, Helfaer MA, Kolovos NS, Koogler T, Lebovitz DJ, Michelson K, Morrison W, Naim MY, Needle J, Nelson B, Rotta AT, Rowin ME, Serrao K, Shore PM, Smith S, Thompson AE, Vohra A, Weise K Pediatr Crit Care Med 2011 May 12 3 375-7; author reply 377-8
- A trial of methadone tapering schedules in pediatric intensive care unit patients exposed to prolonged sedative infusions.
- Bowens CD, Thompson JA, Thompson MT, Breitzka RL, Thompson DG, Sheeran PW Pediatr Crit Care Med 2010 Nov 504-11
Honors & Awards
- Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar
Association of American Medical Colleges (2014)
- Physician Champion
Southwest Transplant Alliance (2009)
- Departmental Scholar
Clinical Scholars Program, UT Southwestern (2005-2009)
- NIH Clinical Research Loan Repayment Program Recipient
- Pediatric Resident Award
LeBonheur Children's Hospital, University of Tennessee at Memphis (2000)
- Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators, HSCT/Oncology Subgroup (2009-2013)
- National Medical Association (2006-2009)
- American College of Chest Physicians (2002-2011)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (2002)
- Texas Pediatric Society (2001)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1998)
- American Medical Association (1998-2010)