Dr. Cindy Darnell-Bowens completed medical school at the University of Louisville Medical School followed by Pediatric Residency at the University of Tennessee at Memphis. She joined UT Southwestern in 2001 as a Pediatric Critical Care Fellow, and at the conclusion of fellowship became Assistant Professor in Pediatric Critical Care. Dr. Bowens’ interests in clinical research lead to her to obtain a Masters in Clinical Science with distinction in 2009. Subsequently, she participated in several clinical research trials focused on furthering the pediatric critical care experience in sedation management. Most recently, Dr. Bowens has used her research experience to facilitate numerous quality initiatives in the PICU.
Dr. Bowens serves as Medical Director of the PICU at Children’s Medical Center Dallas.
- Medical School
- University of Louisville School of Medicine (1998)
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (1999), Pediatrics
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (2001), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (2004), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (2008)
- Pain control
- Protocolized sedation vs usual care in pediatric patients mechanically ventilated for acute respiratory failure: a randomized clinical trial.
- Curley MA, Wypij D, Watson RS, Grant MJ, Asaro LA, Cheifetz IM, Dodson BL, Franck LS, Gedeit RG, Angus DC, Matthay MA JAMA 2015 Jan 313 4 379-89
- Inpatient Bronchiolitis Guideline Implementation and Resource Utilization.
- Mittal V, Darnell C, Walsh B, Mehta A, Badawy M, Morse R, Pop R, Tidwell J, Sheehan M, McDermott S, Cannon C, Kahn J Pediatrics 2014 Feb
- Development of a bedside tool to predict time to death after withdrawal of life-sustaining therapies in infants and children.
- Shore PM, Huang R, Roy L, Darnell C, Grein H, Robertson T, Thompson L Pediatr Crit Care Med 2012 Jul 13 4 415-22
- Potential for liver and kidney donation after circulatory death in infants and children.
- Shore PM, Huang R, Roy L, Darnell C, Grein H, Robertson T, Thompson L Pediatrics 2011 Sep 128 3 e631-8
- A call for full public disclosure for donation after circulatory determination of death in children.
- Nakagawa TA, Rigby MR, Bratton S, Shemie S, Ajizian SJ, Berkowitz I, Bowens CD, Cosio CC, Curley MA, Dhanani S, Dobyns E, Easterling L, Fortenberry JD, Helfaer MA, Kolovos NS, Koogler T, Lebovitz DJ, Michelson K, Morrison W, Naim MY, Needle J, Nelson B, Rotta AT, Rowin ME, Serrao K, Shore PM, Smith S, Thompson AE, Vohra A, Weise K Pediatr Crit Care Med 2011 May 12 3 375-7; author reply 377-8
- A trial of methadone tapering schedules in pediatric intensive care unit patients exposed to prolonged sedative infusions.
- Bowens CD, Thompson JA, Thompson MT, Breitzka RL, Thompson DG, Sheeran PW Pediatr Crit Care Med 2010 Nov 504-11
- Withdrawal from multiple sedative agent therapy in an infant: is dexmedetomidine the cause or the cure?
- Darnell C, Steiner J, Szmuk P, Sheeran P Pediatr Crit Care Med 2010 Jan 11 1 e1-3
- Effect of low-dose naloxone infusion on fentanyl requirements in critically ill children.
- Darnell CM, Thompson J, Stromberg D, Roy L, Sheeran P Pediatrics 2008 May 121 5 e1363-71
Honors & Awards
- Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar
Association of American Medical Colleges (2014)
- Physician Champion
Southwest Transplant Alliance (2009)
- Departmental Scholar
Clinical Scholars Program, UT Southwestern (2005-2009)
- NIH Clinical Research Loan Repayment Program Recipient
- Pediatric Resident Award
LeBonheur Children's Hospital, University of Tennessee at Memphis (2000)
- Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators, HSCT/Oncology Subgroup (2009-2013)
- National Medical Association (2006-2009)
- American College of Chest Physicians (2002-2011)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (2002)
- Texas Pediatric Society (2001)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1998)
- American Medical Association (1998-2010)