Norberto Rodríguez-Báez, M.D., received his Bachelor in Sciences from the University of Puerto Rico in 1990. He graduated in 1994 from the University of Puerto Rico – School of Medicine in San Juan, PR. He completed his pediatric residency at the University Pediatric Hospital – University of Puerto Rico in 1997 and served as Chief Resident from 1997-98. He completed his fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition at Stanford University Medical Center / Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital in 2001.
He is board-certified in General Pediatrics, Pediatric Gastroenterology, and Transplant Hepatology. His research interests include hepatology and teaching. Currently, he is participating in NIH-sponsored studies on viral hepatitis, and acute liver failure. He has authored or co-authored several scientific publications. He is the director of the Pediatric Gastroenterology Fellowship Program at UT Southwestern and also serves as the director of pediatric gastroenterology resident and medical student education.
He has received several awards for his outstanding performance as teacher. He served as chair of the International Committee of the North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrion (NASPGHAN) from 2009-2012. He is member of the NASPGHAN Executive Committee as one of the elected Councilors (2013-16). He is presently an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern.
- Medical School
- University of Puerto Rico (1994)
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (1997), Pediatrics
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (1998), Pediatrics
- Stanford University (2001), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Liver Failure
- Viral Hepatitis
- Health-Related Quality of Life in Pediatric Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B Living in the United States and Canada.
- Schwarzenberg SJ, Ling SC, Cloonan YK, Lin HS, Evon DM, Murray KF, Rodriguez-Baez N, Rosenthal P, Teckman J, Schwarz KB J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2017 Feb
- Long-term Follow-up of Children Treated With Peginterferon and Ribavirin for Hepatitis C Virus Infection.
- Haber B, Alonso E, Pedreira A, Rodriguez-Baez N, Ciocca M, Lacaille F, Lang T, Gonzalez T, Goodman Z, Yang Z, Jackson B, Noviello S, Albrecht JK J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2016 Apr
- Children with Chronic Hepatitis B in the United States and Canada.
- Schwarz KB, Cloonan YK, Ling SC, Murray KF, Rodriguez-Baez N, Schwarzenberg SJ, Teckman J, Ganova-Raeva L, Rosenthal P J. Pediatr. 2015 Sep
- An Analysis of Viral Testing in non-Acetaminophen (non-APAP) Pediatric Acute Liver Failure (PALF).
- Schwarz KB, Olio DD, Lobritto SJ, Lopez MJ, Rodriguez-Baez N, Yazigi NA, Belle SH, Zhang S, Squires RH J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2014 Jul
- Intravenous N-acetylcysteine in pediatric patients with nonacetaminophen acute liver failure: A placebo-controlled clinical trial.
- Squires RH, Dhawan A, Alonso E, Narkewicz MR, Shneider BL, Rodriguez-Baez N, Olio DD, Karpen S, Bucuvalas J, Lobritto S, Rand E, Rosenthal P, Horslen S, Ng V, Subbarao G, Kerkar N, Rudnick D, Lopez MJ, Schwarz K, Romero R, Elisofon S, Doo E, Robuck PR, Lawlor S, Belle SH Hepatology 2012 Aug
- High sustained virologic response rates in children with chronic hepatitis C receiving peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin.
- Wirth S, Ribes-Koninckx C, Calzado MA, Bortolotti F, Zancan L, Jara P, Shelton M, Kerkar N, Galoppo M, Pedreira A, Rodriguez-Baez N, Ciocca M, Lachaux A, Lacaille F, Lang T, Kullmer U, Huber WD, Gonzalez T, Pollack H, Alonso E, Broue P, Ramakrishna J, Neigut D, Valle-Segarra AD, Hunter B, Goodman Z, Xu CR, Zheng H, Noviello S, Sniukiene V, Brass C, Albrecht JK J. Hepatol. 2010 Apr 52 4 501-7
- Gastritis cystica polyposa.
- Ali SA, Weinberg AG, Rodriguez-Baez N J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2008 Nov 47 5 525
- Acute liver failure in children: the first 348 patients in the pediatric acute liver failure study group.
- Squires RH, Shneider BL, Bucuvalas J, Alonso E, Sokol RJ, Narkewicz MR, Dhawan A, Rosenthal P, Rodriguez-Baez N, Murray KF, Horslen S, Martin MG, Lopez MJ, Soriano H, McGuire BM, Jonas MM, Yazigi N, Shepherd RW, Schwarz K, Lobritto S, Thomas DW, Lavine JE, Karpen S, Ng V, Kelly D, Simonds N, Hynan LS J. Pediatr. 2006 May 148 5 652-658
- Management of Esophageal Strictures in Children.
- Rodriguez-Baez N, Andersen JM Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 2003 Oct 6 5 417-425
- Adenovirus ascending cholangiohepatitis.
- Bründler MA, Rodriguez-Baez N, Jaffe R, Weinberg AG, Rogers BB Pediatr. Dev. Pathol. 2003 Mar-Apr 6 2 156-9
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Magazine (2013-2016)
- Outstanding Faculty Award
Awarded by the Pediatric housestaff to the most outstanding faculty in teaching and patient care (2004)
- Outstanding Faculty Award
Awarded by the Pediatric housestaff to the most outstanding faculty in teaching and patient care (2003)
- Outstanding Fellow Award
Awarded by the Department of Pediatrics to the most outstanding fellow in teaching to pediatric housestaff at Stanford University (2000)
- NASPGHAN, Clinical Practice Committee (2013-2016)
- NASPGHAN, Councilor and Executive Committee Member (2013-2016)
- NASPGHAN, Hepatology Committee (2013-2016)
- American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatric Gastroenterology (2003)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (2000)
- American Board of Pediatrics (1997)