I was born and grew up in Wuhan, China. I obtained my B.S. degree in Biochemistry from Wuhan University. I received my Ph.D. training with Professor Steve Elledge at Baylor College of Medicine (Houston), where I studied the DNA damage checkpoints and developed a novel cloning method called UPS. I went on to do my postdoctoral fellowship with Professor Xiaodong Wang, from whom I learn the art of classical biochemistry. I joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2004. My research group currently focuses on understanding the molecular circuits of RNAi/microRNA and sleep regulation by combining genetics and biochemistry.
|Undergraduate||Wuhan University - China (1992), Biochemistry|
|Graduate School||Baylor College of Medicine (2001), Cell Biology|
- Molecular Circuits of Mammalian Sleep Regulation
- Molecular Mechanisms of RNA Interference
- Regulatory Mechanisms of MicroRNA Biogenesis
- Phosphorylation of the human micro-RNA generating complex mediates MAPK/Erk signaling
- Z. Paroo, X. Ye, S. Chen, and Q. Liu Cell October 2009 139 112-122
- C3PO, an endoribonuclease that promotes RNAi by facilitating RISC activation
- Y. Liu, X. Ye, F. Jiang, C. Liang, D. Chen, P. Jun, L.N. Kinch, N.V. Grishin, Q. Liu Science August 2009 325 750-753
- R2D2, a bridge between the initiation and effector steps of the Drosophila RNAi pathway.
- Q. Liu, T. A. Rand, S. Kalidas, F. Du, H. Kim, D.P. Smith, X. Wang Science 2003 301 1921-1925
- Chk1 is an essential kinase that is regulated by Atr and required for the G2/M DNA damage checkpoint.
- Q. Liu, S. Guntuku, X. Cui, S. Matsuoka, D. Cortez, K. Tamai, G. Luo, S. Carattini-Rivera, F. Demayo, A. Bradley, L.A. Donehower, and S.J. Elledge Genes Dev. 2000 14 1448-1459
- The univector plasmid-fusion system, a method for rapid construction of recombinant DNA without restriction enzymes.
- Q. Liu, M. Z. Li, D. Liebham, D. Cortez, S. J. Elledge Curr. Biol. 1998 8 1300-1309
- Sjogren Syndrome Antigen B (SSB)/La promotes global microRNA expression by binding microRNA precursors through stem-loop recognition.
- C. Liang, K. Xiong, K.E. Szulwuch, Y. Zhang, Z. Wang, J. Peng, M. Fu, P. Jing, H.I. Suzuki, Q. Liu. J Biol Chem 2013 288 723-36
- Autoantigen La promotes RNAi, antiviral response, and transposon silencing by facilitating multi-turnover RISC catalysis.
- Y. Liu, H. Tan, H. Tian, C. Liang, S. Chen, Q. Liu. Mol. Cell 2011 44: 502-508
- Structure of C3PO and mechanism of human RISC activation.
- X. Ye, N. Huang, Y. Liu, Z. Paroo, C. Huerta, P. Li, S. Chen, Q. Liu*, H. Zhang* (co-corresponding authors) Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011 18: 650-657
- The functional anatomy of Drosophiila microRNA-generating enzyme
- X. Ye, P. Zain, and Q. Liu J. Biol. Chem. July 2007 282 (39) 28373-28378
- The miRNA pathway intrinsically controls self-renewal of Drosophila germline stem cells.
- J. Park*, X. Liu*, T. Strauss, D. McKearin, and Q. Liu Curr. Biol. 2007 17 533-538
Honors & Awards
- Damon Runyon Scholar Award
- Deborah and W.A. "Tex" Moncrief, Jr. Scholar in Medical Research