Dr. Nijhawan is originally from the Netherlands although she has spent most of her life in the United States. She completed medical school at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2001. She received her internal medicine training at Parkland Hospital/UT Southwestern. She completed her infectious diseases fellowship, including a clinical year dedicated solely to HIV, at the Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women’s Hospital combined training program. She then pursued a clinical research fellowship at Brown University/Miriam Hospital. She obtained a Masters in Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health in 2009.
Dr. Nijhawan’s clinical work is currently focused on HIV care, both in the outpatient setting and at the Dallas county jail.
She conducts clinical research in the area of HIV and sexually transmitted infections, with a focus on epidemiology and health services. She brings to UTSW the unique combination of HIV clinical expertise and clinical research in vulnerable populations, particularly in correctional health. Dr. Nijhawan’s interests outside the hospital include her two children, cycling, running, and camping.
|Medical School||UT Southwestern Medical School (2001)|
|Residency||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2004), Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Woman's Hospital (2007), Infectious Disease|
|Graduate School||Harvard School of Public Health (2009)|
|Fellowship||Brown University Program (2009), Research|
- Correctional health
- Health disparities
- Sexually transmitted infections
- The association between trichomonas infection and incarceration in HIV-Seropositive and At-Risk HIV-Seronegative women
- Nijhawan AE, DeLong AK, Celentano DD, Klein RS, Sobel JD, Jamieson DJ, Cu-Uvin S Sex Trans Dis 2011 Dec 12 38 1094-100
- Addition of acyclovir does not affect adherence to HAART in HIV-1/HSV-2 co-infected women
- Eleanya V, DeLong A, Chapman S, Nijhawan A, Ingersoll J, et. al J AIDS Clin Res 2010 Dec 4 1
- Preventive health care for underserved women: reesults of a prison survey
- Nijhawan AE, Salloway R, Nunn AS, Poshkus M, Clarke JG Journal of Womens Health 2010 Jan 1 19 17-22
- Status epilepticus in a patient with efavirenz toxicity: a case report and review of the literature (case report)
- Nijhawan A, Zachary K, Venna N AIDS Reader 2008 Jul 7 18 386-8, C3
- Methadone and buprenorphine prescribing and referral practices in US prison systems: results from a nationwide survey
- Nunn A, Zaller N, Dickman S, Trimbur C, Nijhawan A, Rich JD Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2009 Nov 1 1-2 105 83-8
Interventions with incarcerated persons. In HIV Prevention
Nijhawan A, Zaller N, Cohen D, Rich J (2009). London, UK, Academic Press
Managing STDs in the Correctional Setting: A Guide for Clinicians, 2nd Edition
Hsu, Jolin, Miller, Lincoln, Lubelczyk, Nijhawan (February 2011).
Acture retroviral syndrome, PCP and other HIV-related pulmonary diseases, immune reconstitution syndrome. In Parkland Manual of Inpatient Medicine: an Evidence-based Guide
Vriesendorp A, (2006). Philadelphia, F.A. Davis
- Society of Hospital Medicine (2009-2010)
- Society of Correctional Physicians (2007)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2005)