Dr. Timothy L. McCavit, M.D., M.S.C.S., is an Assistant Professor of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and Clinical Director for the Pediatric Sickle Cell Program at UT Southwestern / Children’s Medical Center Dallas. He received a BS in molecular biology from Texas Tech University in 1998 and an MD from UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2002. He completed post-graduate medical training at UT Southwestern in 2009 (residency and fellowship) and an MS in Clinical Sciences from UT Southwestern in 2013.
In addition to his clinical focus on the care of children with sickle cell disease, Dr. McCavit has a research interest in long-term outcomes for children with sickle cell disease. His published work to date has examined early death, stroke, and infection by Streptococcus pneumoniae in young sickle cell patients. In addition, he has a research interest in quality-of-care (QOC) and has completed studies evaluating novel QOC indicators for sickle cell pain and febrile neutropenia in pediatric cancer patients. He is a member of the American Society of Hematology’s Subcommittee on Quality of Care. Recently, he has developed a research interest in iron deficiency anemia including clinical trials for the treatment of newly-diagnosed and refractory iron deficiency anemia in children.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2002)
- UT Southwestern / Children's Medical Center (2005), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern / Children's Medical Center (2006), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern / Children's Medical Center (2009), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Health Services
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Prophylactic penicillin after 5 years of age in patients with sickle cell disease: A survey of sickle cell disease experts.
- McCavit TL, Gilbert M, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Nov
- National trends in incidence rates of hospitalization for stroke in children with sickle cell disease.
- McCavit TL, Xuan L, Zhang S, Flores G, Quinn CT Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Nov
- Sickle Cell Disease
- McCavit TL Pediatrics-In-Review 2012 5 33 195-204
- Hospitalization for invasive pneumococcal disease in a national sample of children with sickle cell disease before and after PCV7 licensure.
- McCavit TL, Xuan L, Zhang S, Flores G, Quinn CT Pediatric blood & cancer 2011 Jul
- Time-to-antibiotic administration as a quality of care measure in children with febrile neutropenia: A survey of pediatric oncology centers.
- McCavit TL, Winick N Pediatric blood & cancer 2011 Apr
- Hospital volume, hospital teaching status, patient socioeconomic status, and outcomes in patients hospitalized with sickle cell disease.
- McCavit TL, Lin H, Zhang S, Ahn C, Quinn CT, Flores G Am. J. Hematol. 2011 Apr 86 4 377-80
- Increase in invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in children with sickle cell disease since pneumococcal conjugate vaccine licensure.
- McCavit TL, Quinn CT, Techasaensiri C, Rogers ZR J. Pediatr. 2011 Mar 158 3 505-7
- Bordetella holmesii bacteremia in sickle cell disease.
- McCavit TL, Grube S, Revell P, Quinn CT Pediatr Blood Cancer 2008 Dec 51 6 814-6
- Bordetella holmesii bacteremia in children with sickle cell disease: an emerging pathogen.
- McCavit T, Grube S, Revell P, Quinn CT Pediatric Blood & Cancer 2008 51(6) 814-6
- PedsQL™ Sickle Cell Disease Module: Feasibility, Reliability, and Validity.
- Panepinto JA, Torres S, Bendo CB, McCavit TL, Dinu B, Sherman-Bien S, Bemrich-Stolz C, Varni JW Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013 Feb
Honors & Awards
- George R. Buchanan Teaching Award for Excellence in Fellow Education (1st Recipient) - UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Pediatric Resident Research Mentor Award at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- American Society of Hematology, Clinical Research Training Institute
- Chief Fellow in Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Clinical Research Scholar - UT Southwestern Medical Center
- PAS Travel Grant - PAS Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD
- Pediatric Resident Teaching Award
- TX Tech University/Howard Hughes Medical Institute Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Dallas County Medical Society (2009)
- Academy Health (2008-2011)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2006-2011)
- American Society of Hematology (2006)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2002)
- American Medical Association (2002)
- Texas Medical Association (2002)