Dr. King is Associate Professor of Health Care Sciences and Emergency Medicine Education at UT Southwestern. He also serves the Department of Emergency Medicine as Chief of EMS Quality Management, analyzing performance of prehospital emergency medical care in more than a dozen municipalities in the Dallas area.
Dr. King co-authored Dallas County’s Shelter Medical and Mental Health Guidelines and co-developed consensus-based core competencies for disaster responders. He is co-creator of a number of disaster-responder training programs to build critical disaster workforce competencies. Topics include mass triage, personal protective equipment, and decontamination. Most recently he co-authored a CDC-funded training program, "Psychosocial-Behavioral Response to Radiological and Nuclear Disasters."
He is a member of the American Heart Association/Caruth project volunteer advisory board, the Dallas Disaster Medical Operations Center (DMOC), the Medical Reserve Corps (MRC), and the DFW Disaster Behavioral Health Workgroup. Dr. King was awarded the 2010 Alliance for Continuing Medical Education President's Award for leadership and service in developing and validating a set of professional competencies used to guide the training and development of continuing medical education providers worldwide.
Prior to joining the faculty at UT Southwestern, Dr. King was a corporate vice president of training and development in the business sector, where he led the design & development, implementation, and evaluation of training and development programs for executives, managers, and employees. He has experience in diverse industries including health care, aviation, insurance, hospitality, and information services. He helped lead the airline industry’s transition to increased use of simulation-based training programs for aircraft maintenance technicians and engineers.
- Graduate School
- University of Illinois Urbana Campus (1988), Education
- Competency-based education
- Curriculum development
- Educational technology
- EMS education
- EMS quality management
- Faculty development
- Competencies for Disaster Mental Health
- King RV, Walsh LE, Burkle FM, North CS. Current Psychiatry Reports 2015 17 14
- Enhancing the Translation of Disaster Health Competencies into Practice
- Walsh L, Altman B, Strauss-Riggs K, & King R. Disaster Med Public Health Prep 2014
- Core Competencies for Disaster Medicine and Public Health
- Walsh L, Subbarao I, Gebbie K, Schor K, Lyznicki, J, Strauss-Riggs K, Cooper A, Hsu EB, King RV, et al. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness 2012 6 Mar (1) 44-52
- Trauma Exposure and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Among Employees of New York City Companies Affected by the September 11, 2001 Attacks on the World Trade Center
- North CS, Pollio DE, Smith RP, King RV, Pandya A, Surís AM, Hong BA, Dean DJ, Wallace NE, Herman DB, Conover S, Susser E, Pfefferbaum B. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness 2011 Sep; 5 Suppl 2 S205-S21
- Attributes of effective disaster responders: focus group discussions with key emergency response leaders.
- King RV, North CS, Larkin GL, Downs DL, Klein KR, Fowler RL, Swienton RE, Pepe PE Disaster Med Public Health Prep 2010 Dec 4 4 332-8
- Implementing Competency-Based Education at the Alliance Basics Institute
- King RV, North SA Alliance Almanac November 2008 30;11 2-4
- A consensus-based educational framework and competency set for the discipline of disaster medicine and public health preparedness.
- Subbarao I, Lyznicki JM, Hsu EB, Gebbie KM, Markenson D, Barzansky B, Armstrong JH, Cassimatis EG, Coule PL, Dallas CE, King RV, Rubinson L, Sattin R, Swienton RE, Lillibridge S, Burkle FM, Schwartz RB, James JJ Disaster Med Public Health Prep 2008 Mar 2 1 57-68
- Tying It All Together? A Competency-based Linkage Model for Family Practice
- King RV, Murphy-Cullen CL, Krepcho M, Bell HS, Frey RD Family Medicine October 2003 Volume 35, No. 9 630-634
- The Role of a Radiology Electronic Notification System in the Emergency Department Setting and its Impact on Patient Care. Journal of Clinical Medicine Research
- Omar, Lena A., King, Richard V., Pease, John, & Omar, Hythem A. J Clin Med Res 2014 6 4 267-271
- Developing an ST-elevation myocardial infarction system of care in Dallas County
- DelliFraine J, Langabeer J, Segrest W, Fowler R, King R, et al. American Heart Journal 2013 165 6 926-931
Eyewitness to mass murder: Findings from studies of four multiple shooting episodes. In Mental health and disasters
North CS, King RV. (2009). New York, Cambridge University Press
Honors & Awards
- Established Investigator Award
Southwestern School of Health Professions (2011)
- Alliance for Continuing Medical Education
President’s Award for Leadership and Service (2010)
- Altshuler Center for Education and Research Core Advisory Board Member (2015)
- American Counseling Association (2012)
- American Heart Association/Caruth Volunteer Advisory Board (2010)
- American Society for Training and Development (1995)
- International Society for Performance Improvement (1995)