Sunita Stewart has been affiliated with UT Southwestern since 1984. She was Director of Psychological Services at Children’s Medical Center from 1984 to 1992, and returned to this position in September 2005.
Her areas of clinical specialty are: cross-cultural psychopathology, prevention, parenting, and management of mood and adherence problems in adolescents with chronic illness.
- Undergraduate School
- Reed College (1975), Psychology
- Graduate School
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst (1978), Psychology
- Graduate School
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst (1981), Psychology
- Adolescent Psychopathology
- Cross Cultural Psychology
- Pediatric Health Psychology
- Hopelessness and suicidal ideation among adolescents in two cultures.
- Stewart, S.M., Kennard, B.D., Lee, P.W.H., Mayes, T., Hughes, C.W., & Emslie, G. Journal of Child Psychology, Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines 46 364-372.
- Methods in cross-cultural psychopathology
- Stewart, S.M Handbook of research methods in abnormal and clinical psychology., D. McKay (ed), in press
- Maternal depressive symptoms predict adolescent healthcare utilization and charges in youth with type 1 diabetes.
- Clayton, K.M., Stewart, S.M., Wiebe, D.J., McConnel, C.E., Hughes, C.W., and White, P.C. Health Psychology 2013
- Self-disclosure of serostatus by youth who are HIV-positive: A review
- Thoth, C., Tucker, C., Leahy, M., & Stewart, S.M. Journal of Behavioral Medicine 2013 DOI: 10.1007/s10865-012-9485-2
- Validating the Concord Index as a measure of family relationships in China
- Lee, P.H. , Stewart, S.M., Lun, V., Bond, M.H., Yu, X., & Lam, T.H. 2012 26 906-915
- Developing community-based preventive interventions in Hong Kong: a description of the first phase of the Family Project.
- Stewart, S. M., Fabrizio, C. S., Hirschmann, M. R., & Lam, T. H. BMC Public Health 2012 12 106. 93.
- The Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9) for measuring depressive symptoms among the general population in Hong Kong.
- Yu, X, Tam, W.W.S., Wong, P.T.K., Lam, T.H., & Stewart, S.M. Comprehensive Psychiatry 2012 53 95-102
- Somatic items in the assessment of depressive symptoms in pediatric patients with diabetes.
- Stewart, S.M., Simmons, A., & White, P.C Journal of Behavioral Medicine 2011 34, 112-119
- Factor structure of the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale in Hong Kong adolescents.
- Lee, S.W., Stewart, S.M., Byrne, B., Wong, J.P.S., Ho, S.Y., Lee, P.W.H., & Lam, T.H. Journal of Personality Assessment 2008 90 1-11.
- Repeat suicide attempts in Hong Kong community adolescents
- Wong, J.P.S., Stewart, S.M., Claassen, C., Lee, P.W.H, Rao, U., & Lam, T.H Social Science and Medicine 2008 66 232-241
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa
- APA, IACCP, AAAP