My clinical interests include stroke in children and the neurologic complications of sickle cell disease. We have a special Sickle Cell Neurology Clinic, a Pediatric Stroke Clinic and a Multidisciplinary Pediatric Stroke Clinic at Childrens Medical Center Dallas.
- Medical School
- Columbia University (1995)
- Children's Health (CMC) (1996), Pediatrics
- Children's Health (CMC) (1997), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Pediatric Neurology
- Alternative etiologies for stroke in sickle cell disease
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Neurologic complications of sickle cell disease
- Neurologic injury in children with acute anemia
- Pediatric stroke
- Sturge-Weber syndrome
- The family of genes encoding odorant receptors in the channel catfish.
- Ngai J, Dowling MM, Buck L, Axel R, Chess A Cell 1993 Mar 72 5 657-66
- Coding of olfactory information: topography of odorant receptor expression in the catfish olfactory epithelium.
- Ngai J, Chess A, Dowling MM, Necles N, Macagno ER, Axel R Cell 1993 Mar 72 5 667-80
- Molecular biology of smell: expression of the multigene family encoding putative odorant receptors.
- Chess A, Buck L, Dowling MM, Axel R, Ngai J Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 1992 57 505-16
- Increased prevalence of potential right-to-left shunting in children with sickle cell anaemia and stroke.
- Dowling MM, Quinn CT, Ramaciotti C, Kanter J, Osunkwo I, Inusa B, Iyer R, Kwiatkowski JL, Johnson C, Rhodes M, Owen W, Strouse JJ, Panepinto JA, Neumayr L, Sarnaik S, Plumb PA, Dlamini N, Kirkham F, Hynan LS Br. J. Haematol. 2016 Oct
- Preparing for a "Pediatric Stroke Alert".
- Bernard TJ, Friedman NR, Stence NV, Jones W, Ichord R, Amlie-Lefond C, Dowling MM, Rivkin MJ Pediatr. Neurol. 2016 Mar 56 18-24
- Guidelines for Urgent Management of Stroke in Children.
- Rivkin MJ, Bernard TJ, Dowling MM, Amlie-Lefond C Pediatr. Neurol. 2016 Mar 56 8-17
- The Way Forward: Challenges and Opportunities in Pediatric Stroke.
- Amlie-Lefond C, Rivkin MJ, Friedman NR, Bernard TJ, Dowling MM, deVeber G Pediatr. Neurol. 2015 Dec
- Risk of Recurrent Arterial Ischemic Stroke in Childhood: A Prospective International Study.
- Fullerton HJ, Wintermark M, Hills NK, Dowling MM, Tan M, Rafay MF, Elkind MS, Barkovich AJ, deVeber GA Stroke 2015 Nov
- Infection, vaccination, and childhood arterial ischemic stroke: Results of the VIPS study.
- Fullerton HJ, Hills NK, Elkind MS, Dowling MM, Wintermark M, Glaser CA, Tan M, Rivkin MJ, Titomanlio L, Barkovich AJ, deVeber GA Neurology 2015 Oct 85 17 1459-66
- Type II Cortical Dysplasia in Dominant Frontal Lobe Presenting as Gelastic Epilepsy.
- Dubey D, Thodeson D, Dowling M, Sirsi D, Arnold S, Said R Pediatr. Neurol. 2015 Jul 53 1 97-8
Cerebral Vasculopathies. In Rosenberg RN, Pascual JM, eds. Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease. 5th ed.
Dowling MM. (2014). Elsevier; 1211-1219.
Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (Osler-Weber-Rendu). In Roach ES, Miller VS, eds. Neurocutaneous Disorders.
Dowling MM. (2004). Cambridge University Press; 159-165.
Autism. In Curatolo P, ed. Tuberous Sclerosis Complex: From Basic Science to Clinical Phenotypes. 1st ed.
Dowling M, Curatolo P. (2003). London: Mac Keith Press; 91-108.
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Award
- Trephined Cranium Award for Outstanding Teaching
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014)
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Moms Magazine (2013)
- 8th Annual Excellence in Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012)
- Core Clerkship Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2009)
- Innovations in Clinical Research Award
Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (2009)
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2002, 2007, 2010-2015)
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (2007)
- Child Neurology Society (2002)
- American Academy of Neurology (2001)