My clinical interests include stroke in children and the neurologic complications of sickle cell disease. We have a special Sickle Cell Neurology Clinic, a Pediatric Stroke Clinic and a Multidisciplinary Pediatric Stroke Clinic at Childrens Medical Center Dallas.
- Medical School
- Columbia University (1995)
- Children's Health (CMC) (1996), Pediatrics
- Children's Health (CMC) (1997), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Pediatric Neurology
- Alternative etiologies for stroke in sickle cell disease
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Neurologic complications of sickle cell disease
- Neurologic injury in children with acute anemia
- Pediatric stroke
- Sturge-Weber syndrome
- The family of genes encoding odorant receptors in the channel catfish.
- Ngai J, Dowling MM, Buck L, Axel R, Chess A Cell 1993 Mar 72 5 657-66
- Coding of olfactory information: topography of odorant receptor expression in the catfish olfactory epithelium.
- Ngai J, Chess A, Dowling MM, Necles N, Macagno ER, Axel R Cell 1993 Mar 72 5 667-80
- Molecular biology of smell: expression of the multigene family encoding putative odorant receptors.
- Chess A, Buck L, Dowling MM, Axel R, Ngai J Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 1992 57 505-16
- Preparing for a "Pediatric Stroke Alert".
- Bernard TJ, Friedman NR, Stence NV, Jones W, Ichord R, Amlie-Lefond C, Dowling MM, Rivkin MJ Pediatr. Neurol. 2016 Mar 56 18-24
- Guidelines for Urgent Management of Stroke in Children.
- Rivkin MJ, Bernard TJ, Dowling MM, Amlie-Lefond C Pediatr. Neurol. 2016 Mar 56 8-17
- The Way Forward: Challenges and Opportunities in Pediatric Stroke.
- Amlie-Lefond C, Rivkin MJ, Friedman NR, Bernard TJ, Dowling MM, deVeber G Pediatr. Neurol. 2015 Dec
- Risk of Recurrent Arterial Ischemic Stroke in Childhood: A Prospective International Study.
- Fullerton HJ, Wintermark M, Hills NK, Dowling MM, Tan M, Rafay MF, Elkind MS, Barkovich AJ, deVeber GA Stroke 2015 Nov
- Infection, vaccination, and childhood arterial ischemic stroke: Results of the VIPS study.
- Fullerton HJ, Hills NK, Elkind MS, Dowling MM, Wintermark M, Glaser CA, Tan M, Rivkin MJ, Titomanlio L, Barkovich AJ, deVeber GA Neurology 2015 Oct 85 17 1459-66
- Type II Cortical Dysplasia in Dominant Frontal Lobe Presenting as Gelastic Epilepsy.
- Dubey D, Thodeson D, Dowling M, Sirsi D, Arnold S, Said R Pediatr. Neurol. 2015 Jul 53 1 97-8
- Anemia and ischemia: how low can you go?
- Quinn CT, Dowling MM Blood 2015 Mar 125 10 1516-7
Cerebral Vasculopathies. In Rosenberg RN, Pascual JM, eds. Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease. 5th ed.
Dowling MM. (2014). Elsevier; 1211-1219.
Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (Osler-Weber-Rendu). In Roach ES, Miller VS, eds. Neurocutaneous Disorders.
Dowling MM. (2004). Cambridge University Press; 159-165.
Autism. In Curatolo P, ed. Tuberous Sclerosis Complex: From Basic Science to Clinical Phenotypes. 1st ed.
Dowling M, Curatolo P. (2003). London: Mac Keith Press; 91-108.
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Award
- Trephined Cranium Award for Outstanding Teaching
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014)
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Moms Magazine (2013)
- 8th Annual Excellence in Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012)
- Core Clerkship Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2009)
- Innovations in Clinical Research Award
Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (2009)
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2002, 2007, 2010-2015)
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (2007)
- Child Neurology Society (2002)
- American Academy of Neurology (2001)