My clinical interests include stroke in children and the neurologic complications of sickle cell disease. We have a special Sickle Cell Neurology Clinic, a Pediatric Stroke Clinic and a Multidisciplinary Pediatric Stroke Clinic at Childrens Medical Center Dallas.
- Medical School
- Columbia University (1995)
- Children's Health Dallas (1996), Pediatrics
- Children's Health Dallas (1997), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Pediatric Neurology
- Alternative etiologies for stroke in sickle cell disease
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Neurologic complications of sickle cell disease
- Neurologic injury in children with acute anemia
- Pediatric stroke
- Sturge-Weber syndrome
- The family of genes encoding odorant receptors in the channel catfish.
- Ngai J, Dowling MM, Buck L, Axel R, Chess A Cell 1993 Mar 72 5 657-66
- Coding of olfactory information: topography of odorant receptor expression in the catfish olfactory epithelium.
- Ngai J, Chess A, Dowling MM, Necles N, Macagno ER, Axel R Cell 1993 Mar 72 5 667-80
- Molecular biology of smell: expression of the multigene family encoding putative odorant receptors.
- Chess A, Buck L, Dowling MM, Axel R, Ngai J Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 1992 57 505-16
- Dynamic Arterial Compression in Pediatric Vertebral Arterial Dissection.
- Rollins N, Braga B, Hogge A, Beavers S, Dowling M Stroke 2017 Apr 48 4 1070-1073
- Diffusion imaging of cerebral diaschisis in childhood arterial ischemic stroke.
- Kirton A, Williams E, Dowling M, Mah S, Hodge J, Carlson H, Wei XC, Ichord R Int J Stroke 2016 Dec 11 9 1028-1035
- Stroke in sickle cell anaemia is more than stenosis and thrombosis: the role of anaemia and hyperemia in ischaemia.
- Dowling MM, Kirkham FJ Br. J. Haematol. 2016 Nov
- Inter-Rater Reliability of the CASCADE Criteria: Challenges in Classifying Arteriopathies.
- Bernard TJ, Beslow LA, Manco-Johnson MJ, Armstrong-Wells J, Boada R, Weitzenkamp D, Hollatz A, Poisson S, Amlie-Lefond C, Lo W, deVeber G, Goldenberg NA, Dowling MM, Roach ES, Fullerton HJ, Benseler SM, Jordan LC, Kirton A, Ichord RN Stroke 2016 Oct 47 10 2443-9
- Increased prevalence of potential right-to-left shunting in children with sickle cell anaemia and stroke.
- Dowling MM, Quinn CT, Ramaciotti C, Kanter J, Osunkwo I, Inusa B, Iyer R, Kwiatkowski JL, Johnson C, Rhodes M, Owen W, Strouse JJ, Panepinto JA, Neumayr L, Sarnaik S, Plumb PA, Dlamini N, Kirkham F, Hynan LS Br. J. Haematol. 2016 Oct
- Corrigendum to 'Guidelines for Urgent Management of Stroke in Children' [Pediatric Neurology 56 (2016) 8-17].
- Rivkin MJ, Bernard TJ, Dowling MM, Amlie-Lefond C Pediatr. Neurol. 2016 Sep
- Inflammatory Biomarkers in Childhood Arterial Ischemic Stroke: Correlates of Stroke Cause and Recurrence.
- Fullerton HJ, deVeber GA, Hills NK, Dowling MM, Fox CK, Mackay MT, Kirton A, Yager JY, Bernard TJ, Hod EA, Wintermark M, Elkind MS Stroke 2016 Sep 47 9 2221-8
Cerebral Vasculopathies. In Rosenberg RN, Pascual JM, eds. Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease. 5th ed.
Dowling MM. (2014). Elsevier; 1211-1219.
Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (Osler-Weber-Rendu). In Roach ES, Miller VS, eds. Neurocutaneous Disorders.
Dowling MM. (2004). Cambridge University Press; 159-165.
Autism. In Curatolo P, ed. Tuberous Sclerosis Complex: From Basic Science to Clinical Phenotypes. 1st ed.
Dowling M, Curatolo P. (2003). London: Mac Keith Press; 91-108.
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Award
- Trephined Cranium Award for Outstanding Teaching
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014)
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Moms Magazine (2013)
- 8th Annual Excellence in Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012)
- Core Clerkship Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2009)
- Innovations in Clinical Research Award
Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (2009)
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2002, 2007, 2010-2015)
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (2007)
- Child Neurology Society (2002)
- American Academy of Neurology (2001)