Dr. Mulligan has been involved in orthopedic-sports physical therapy, athletic training, and clinical education for the past 36 years. His undergraduate degree is from the University of Nebraska and he received his physical therapy training at UTMB – Galveston. He completed the post-professional master’s degree program at Texas Woman’s University-Dallas in 1995 and his clinical doctorate at Regis University in 2008. He was recognized as a clinical specialist in sports physical therapy by the APTA in 1988 and was the Chair for the Sports Physical Therapy Council of the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists from 2010-2011. He was certified as a clinical specialist in orthopedic physical therapy in 2009 and currently serves on the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education. He is an Associate Professor with joint appointments in the Physical Therapy and Orthopedic Surgery Departments.
- Undergraduate School
- University of Nebraska (1980)
- Undergraduate School
- The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (1982)
- Graduate School
- Texas Woman's University College of Nursing (1995)
- Graduate School
- Regis University (2009), Physical Therapy
- THE EFFECT OF AXIOSCAPULAR AND ROTATOR CUFF EXERCISE TRAINING SEQUENCE IN PATIENTS WITH SUBACROMIAL IMPINGEMENT SYNDROME: A RANDOMIZED CROSSOVER TRIAL.
- Mulligan EP, Huang M, Dickson T, Khazzam M Int J Sports Phys Ther 2016 Feb 11 1 94-107
- Sleep quality and nocturnal pain in patients with shoulder disorders.
- Mulligan EP, Brunette M, Shirley Z, Khazzam M J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2015 Apr
- The reliability and diagnostic accuracy of assessing the translation endpoint during the lachman test.
- Mulligan EP, McGuffie DQ, Coyner K, Khazzam M Int J Sports Phys Ther 2015 Feb 10 1 52-61
- Competency revalidation study of specialty practice in sports physical therapy.
- Mulligan EP, Weber MD, Reinking MF Int J Sports Phys Ther 2014 Dec 9 7 959-73
- Evaluation and management of greater trochanter pain syndrome.
- Mulligan EP, Middleton EF, Brunette M Phys Ther Sport 2014 Nov
- Hip Stiffness Patterns in Lumbar Flexion or Extension-Based Movement Syndromes.
- Zafereo J, Devanna R, Mulligan E, Wang-Price S Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2014 Oct
- Structural Integrity After Rotator Cuff Repair Does Not Correlate with Patient Function and Pain: A Meta-Analysis.
- Russell RD, Knight JR, Mulligan E, Khazzam MS J Bone Joint Surg Am 2014 Feb 96 4 265-271
- Effect of plantar intrinsic muscle training on medial longitudinal arch morphology and dynamic function.
- Mulligan EP, Cook PG Man Ther 2013 Apr
- Common fibular (peroneal) neuropathy as the result of a ganglion cyst.
- Mulligan EP, McCain K J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2012 Dec 42 12 1051
- Factors that impact rehabilitation strategies after rotator cuff repair.
- Mulligan EP, Devanna RR, Huang M, Middleton EF, Khazzam M Phys Sportsmed 2012 Nov 40 4 102-14
Rehabiliation of the Lower Leg, Ankle, and Foot. In Physical Rehabilitation of the Injured Athlete
Mulligan, EP (2012). Elsevier
Shoulder Imaging. In Radiology for the Sports Physical Therapist
Mulligan EP, Mulligan RP. (2012). Sports Physical Therapy Section of the American Physical Therapy Association
Honors & Awards
- American Physical Therapy Association Sports Physical Therapy Section
Lifetime Excellence in Education Award (2017)
- Pediatric Research in Sports Medicine Society
Achievement Award for Physical Therapy (2017)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center School of Health Professions
Outstanding Faculty Award (2016)
- University of Texas Systems
Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award (2013)
- Excellence in Teaching
UT Southwestern School of Health Professions (2009)
- Academic Leadership Award
Texas Women’s University (1994)
- Excellence in Clinical Education
Texas Consortium of Physical Therapy (1994)
- American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (2012-2016)
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (2007-2011)
- Texas Physical Therapy Association (1980)
- National Athletic Trainer's Association (1978)