Dr. Thiru Annaswamy is a Professor with the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) at the UT Southwestern Medical Center and a full-time staff physician and section chief in the PM&R Service at the VA North Texas Health Care System/Dallas VA Medical Center. He has been on faculty at UTSWMC since 1999. He received his medical degree at Mysore Medical College, Mysore, India in 1992 and Master’s degree in Kinesiology, motor control and biomechanics from the University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas in 1994. He received his post-graduate medical training in PM&R at Harvard Medical School/Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston, MA in 1999.
His clinical expertise and research interests are in the management of spine & musculoskeletal disorders, diseases of the muscles & nerves and clinical outcomes research. He is board certified in PM&R, Pain Medicine, Electrodiagnostic Medicine and Neuromuscular Medicine. His research interests also include electrophysiological and musculoskeletal research and clinical outcomes research, virtual reality based medical simulation, virtual reality and technology applications in rehabilitation and gait and movement analysis.
His honors include Best Teaching Attending of the Year award, Chief Resident, Best Paper award, Best Resident Research award, and New Investigator Award. He has presented in national conferences, university grand rounds, and other local & regional institutions. He has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals, and has book-chapter author credits as well. He has been invited to participate on several committees, advisory panels, work groups and task forces for professional societies and national organizations. He has also appeared on TV, news media and Radio.
- Medical School
- Mysore Medical College (1992)
- Internship (Residency)
- Lemuel Shattuck Hospital (1996), Transitional Year
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital (1999), Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Diagnostic testing in chronic back pain
- Electrodiagnosis in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Predictive Ability, Correlation with Outcomes and Impact
- Electrodiagnostic testing and outcomes
- Long Term Outcomes of Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections for Spinal Stenosis (LESSER); PCORI Funded
- NetSE: Large: Collaborative Research: Exploiting Multi-modality for Tele-Immersion (Funded by National Science Foundation-NSF); Co-PI
- Virtual reality based computer simulation of epidural procedures
- Visco-elastic supplementation for lumbar z-joint arthropathy
- The Role of Intra-articular Hyaluronic Acid in Symptomatic Osteoarthritis of the Knee.
- Annaswamy TM, Gosai EV, Jevsevar DS, Singh JR PM R 2015 Sep 7 9 995-1001
- A randomized trial of epidural glucocorticoid injections for spinal stenosis.
- Friedly JL, Comstock BA, Turner JA, Heagerty PJ, Deyo RA, Sullivan SD, Bauer Z, Bresnahan BW, Avins AL, Nedeljkovic SS, Nerenz DR, Standaert C, Kessler L, Akuthota V, Annaswamy T, Chen A, Diehn F, Firtch W, Gerges FJ, Gilligan C, Goldberg H, Kennedy DJ, Mandel S, Tyburski M, Sanders W, Sibell D, Smuck M, Wasan A, Won L, Jarvik JG N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 Jul 371 1 11-21
- Electrodiagnostic testing before epidural steroid injections.
- Annaswamy T, Irwin RW, Chimes GP PM R 2012 Mar 4 3 223-9
- Needle electromyography predicts outcome after lumbar epidural steroid injection.
- Annaswamy TM, Bierner SM, Chouteau W, Elliott AC Muscle Nerve 2012 Mar 45 3 346-55
- Emerging concepts in the treatment of myofascial pain: a review of medications, modalities, and needle-based interventions.
- Annaswamy TM, De Luigi AJ, O'Neill BJ, Keole N, Berbrayer D PM R 2011 Oct 3 10 940-61
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Confounded by Electromyography Disease: A Case Report.
- Davis K, Armstead C, Annaswamy TM Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2016 Mar
- Augmented reality-based exergames for rehabilitation
- Kevin Desai, Kanchan Bahirat, Sudhir Ramalingam, Balakrishnan Prabhakaran, Thiru Annaswamy, and Una E. Makris 2016
- Guideline summary review: an evidence-based clinical guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis.
- Matz PG, Meagher RJ, Lamer T, Tontz WL, Annaswamy TM, Cassidy RC, Cho CH, Dougherty P, Easa JE, Enix DE, Gunnoe BA, Jallo J, Julien TD, Maserati MB, Nucci RC, O'Toole JE, Rosolowski K, Sembrano JN, Villavicencio AT, Witt JP Spine J 2015 Dec
- Long-Term Follow-up to a Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Peroneal Nerve Functional Electrical Stimulation to an Ankle Foot Orthosis for Patients With Chronic Stroke.
- Bethoux F, Rogers HL, Nolan KJ, Abrams GM, Annaswamy T, Brandstater M, Browne B, Burnfield JM, Feng W, Freed MJ, Geis C, Greenberg J, Gudesblatt M, Ikramuddin F, Jayaraman A, Kautz SA, Lutsep HL, Madhavan S, Meilahn J, Pease WS, Rao N, Seetharama S, Sethi P, Turk MA, Wallis RA, Kufta C Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2015 Nov-Dec 29 10 911-22
- Authors' reply to Manchikanti.
- Suri P, Pashova H, Heagerty PJ, Jarvik JG, Turner JA, Bauer Z, Annaswamy TM, Nedeljkovic SS, Wasan AD, Friedly JL Spine 2015 Nov
Biomechanical correlates of movement: principles of gait. In Exercise in rehabilitation medicine
Kerrigan DC and Annaswamy TM (1999). Chicago, IL, Human Kinetics
Chapter 7: Quality and Outcome Measures for Medical Rehabilitation. In Braddom's Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Annaswamy TM, Houtrow A, Saxena D and Yang W (2015). New York, NY, Elsevier
Chapter 17: Physical Agent Modalities. In Braddom's Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Chen W-S, Annaswamy TM, Wang T and Yang W (2015). New York, NY, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- AAP Best Paper Award
Intraarticular Triamcinolone versus Hyaluronate Injections for Lumbar Zygapophyseal Joint Arthropathy: A Pragmatic, Double Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Annaswamy TM, Armstead C, Avraham R, Carlson L and Bierner SM. Given at the 2015 AAP Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX. March 14, 2015. (2015-2015)
- Teaching Attending of the Year Award
Best Teaching Attending Physician of the Year (2015)
- AAP Excellence in Research Writing Award
Best Paper Winner In-Training Category awarded to first author-Whitney Chouteau; I was her faculty mentor (2011)
- Best Abstract Runner-Up Award Winner. 2010 American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine 57th Annual Meeting
Best Abstract Runner-Up Award Winner. Annaswamy TM and Morchower A. Effect of Lidocaine Iontophoresis on Pain during Needle Electromyography. Paper Presentation. Muscle & Nerve. 42:4; p656-7. October 2010. (2010)
- Teaching Attending of the Year
Award given to one of 2 best attending physicians based on residents' vote (2008)
- Teaching Attending of the Year
Award given to one of 2 best attending physicians based on residents' vote (2007)
- Teaching Attending of the Year
Award given to one of 2 best attending physicians based on residents' vote (2006)
- Spinal Intervention Society (SIS) (2002)
- American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine (AANEM) (2001)
- North American Spine Society (NASS) (2001)
- American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (AAPMR) (1996)
- Association of Academic Physiatrists (AAP) (1996)