Dr. Rakheja did his medical schooling at All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi. He completed pathology residencies at Maulana Azad Medical College (Delhi University) and UT Southwestern Medical Center. He trained in gastrointestinal pathology and neuropathology as a senior resident (fellow equivalent) at GB Pant Hospital (Delhi University) and completed a pediatric pathology fellowship at UT Southwestern/Children’s Medical Center.
Dr. Rakheja studies the genetics and metabolism of childhood cancer, particularly Wilms tumor, germ cell tumors, hepatoblastoma, brain tumors, and pediatric sarcomas of bone and soft tissue. He has specific interests in tumor tissue banking, establishing primary pediatric cancer cell lines, and developing laboratory assays for diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic targets in pediatric cancers.
|Medical School||All India Institute of Medical Sciences (1993)|
|Residency||Maulana Azad Hospitals (1997), Pathology|
|Residency||G. B. Pant Hospital (1999), Pathology|
|Residency||UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2003), Pathology|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern / Children's Medical Center (2006), Pediatric Pathology|
- Cancer metabolism
- Pediatric brain cancers
- Pediatric gentourinary cancers
- Pediatric liver cancers
- Pediatric sarcomas
- L-2-Hydroxyglutarate: An Epigenetic Modifier and Putative Oncometabolite in Renal Cancer.
- Shim EH, Livi CB, Rakheja D, Tan J, Benson D, Parekh V, Kho EY, Ghosh AP, Kirkman R, Velu S, Dutta S, Chenna B, Rea SL, Mishur RJ, Li Q, Johnson-Pais TL, Guo L, Bae S, Wei S, Block K, Sudarshan S Cancer Discov 2014 Sep
- Somatic mutations in DROSHA and DICER1 impair microRNA biogenesis through distinct mechanisms in Wilms tumours.
- Rakheja D, Chen KS, Liu Y, Shukla AA, Schmid V, Chang TC, Khokhar S, Wickiser JE, Karandikar NJ, Malter JS, Mendell JT, Amatruda JF Nat Commun 2014 2 4802
- 2-hydroxyglutarate detection by magnetic resonance spectroscopy in IDH-mutated patients with gliomas.
- Choi C, Ganji SK, Deberardinis RJ, Hatanpaa KJ, Rakheja D, Kovacs Z, Yang XL, Mashimo T, Raisanen JM, Marin-Valencia I, Pascual JM, Madden CJ, Mickey BE, Malloy CM, Bachoo RM, Maher EA Nature medicine 2012 Jan
- A zebrafish transgenic model of Ewing's sarcoma reveals conserved mediators of EWS-FLI1 tumorigenesis.
- Leacock SW, Basse AN, Chandler GL, Kirk AM, Rakheja D, Amatruda JF Dis Model Mech 2012 Jan 5 1 95-106
- Bone morphogenetic protein signalling activity distinguishes histological subsets of paediatric germ cell tumours.
- Fustino N, Rakheja D, Ateek CS, Neumann JC, Amatruda JF Int. J. Androl. 2011 Aug 34 4 Pt 2 e218-33
- Mutation in the type IB bone morphogenetic protein receptor alk6b impairs germ-cell differentiation and causes germ-cell tumors in zebrafish.
- Neumann JC, Chandler GL, Damoulis VA, Fustino NJ, Lillard K, Looijenga L, Margraf L, Rakheja D, Amatruda JF Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2011 Jul 13153-8
- High incidence of IDH mutations in acute myeloid leukaemia with cuplike nuclei.
- Rakheja D, Konoplev S, Su M, Wheeler D, Muzny DM, Ruvolo VR, Collins R, Karandikar NJ, Andreeff M, Medeiros LJ, Chen W British journal of haematology 2011 Apr 125-8
- CLN3P, the Batten's disease protein, is a novel palmitoyl-protein Delta-9 desaturase.
- Narayan SB, Rakheja D, Tan L, Pastor JV, Bennett MJ Ann. Neurol. 2006 Nov 60 5 570-7
- Evidence for fatty acid oxidation in human placenta, and the relationship of fatty acid oxidation enzyme activities with gestational age.
- Rakheja D, Bennett MJ, Foster BM, Domiati-Saad R, Rogers BB Placenta 2002 May 23 5 447-50
- Bap1 is essential for kidney function and cooperates with Vhl in renal tumorigenesis.
- Wang SS, Gu YF, Wolff N, Stefanius K, Christie A, Dey A, Hammer RE, Xie XJ, Rakheja D, Pedrosa I, Carroll T, McKay RM, Kapur P, Brugarolas J Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Nov 111 46 16538-43
Cholesterol biosynthetic disorders: a review. In Focus on Cholesterol Research
Rakheja D, Rogers BB, Bennett MJ (2006). Hauppauge, NY, Nova Publications
The "fussy" neonate. In Tietz's Applied Laboratory Medicine
Jones PM, Rakheja D (2007). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley-Interscience, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Quick Guide to Organic Acid Interpretation
Jones PM, Rakheja D (Ed.) (2011). Washington, DC, American Association for Clinical Chemistry Press
The "sleepy" neonate. In Tietz's Applied Laboratory Medicine
Rakheja D, Jones PM (2007). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley-Interscience, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
Glomerular diseases associated with nephritic syndrome and/or rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis. In Silva's Diagnostic Renal Pathology
Rogers T, Rakheja D, Zhou XJ (2009). New York, NY, Cambridge University Press
The aging kidney. In Silva's Diagnostic Renal Pathology
Zhou XJ, Rakheja D, Silva FG (2009). New York, NY, Cambridge University Press
Honors & Awards
- John Lawrence and Patsy Louise Goforth Distinguished Professorship in Pathology
- Pediatric Pathology Visiting Scholar, Children’s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School
- College of American Pathologists Foundation (CAPF) Scholar
- Harry B. Neustein Memorial Award, Society for Pediatric Pathology
- Travel Award for junior investigators, Society for Inherited Metabolic Disorders
- F. Stephen Vogel Award, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Dr. R. P. Mathur Memorial Award in Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College (Delhi University)