Dr. Benitez earned his medical degree and his specialty in Emergency Medicine from the University of Puerto Rico. He then pursued a fellowship in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) at the University of Texas Southwestern (UTSW) Medical Center at Dallas, Texas. During his fellowship, he also completed the coursework for a Masters Degree in Public Health from the University of Texas, Houston. After the Fellowship, he joined the Emergency Medicine Training Program at UTSW as a faculty member and became a Diplomate of the American Board of Emergency Medicine. Currently he is a Professor of Emergency Medicine and serves as the Assistant Medical Director for Scene Response and Field Operations for the Dallas Metropolitan BIOTEL (EMS) System.
|Medical School||University of Puerto Rico (1996)|
|Residency||University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (1999), Emergency Medicine|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (2001), Emergency Medicine|
- The lifesaving potential of specialized on-scene medical support for urban tactical operations.
- Metzger JC, Eastman AL, Benitez FL, Pepe PE Prehosp Emerg Care 2009 Oct-Dec 13 4 528-31
- Conductive electrical devices: a prospective, population-based study of the medical safety of law enforcement use.
- Eastman AL, Metzger JC, Pepe PE, Benitez FL, Decker J, Rinnert KJ, Field CA, Friese RS J Trauma 2008 Jun 64 6 1567-72
- Recurrent life-threatening ventricular dysrhythmias associated with acute hydrofluoric acid ingestion: observations in one case and implications for mechanism of toxicity.
- Vohra R, Velez LI, Rivera W, Benitez FL, Delaney KA Clin Toxicol (Phila) 2008 Jan 46 1 79-84
- Retinal detachment diagnosed by bedside ultrasound in the emergency department.
- Kahn A, Kahn AL, Corinaldi CA, Benitez FL, Fox PC Cal J Emerg Med 2005 Jul 6 3 47-51
- Mechanical devices for cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Wigginton JG, Miller AH, Benitez FL, Pepe PE Curr Opin Crit Care 2005 Jun 11 3 219-23
- Endotracheal intubation in the field: con position.
- Wigginton JG, Benitez FL, Pepe PE Hosp Med 2005 Feb 66 2 91-4
- Serotonin syndrome with elevated paroxetine concentrations.
- Velez LI, Shepherd G, Roth BA, Benitez FL Ann Pharmacother 2004 Feb 38 2 269-72
- Death by quinine.
- Morrison LD, Velez LI, Shepherd G, Bey T, Benitez FL Vet Hum Toxicol 2003 Dec 45 6 303-6
- Bilateral Luxatio Erecta
- Morrison L, Barrows T, Benitez F The Journal of Emergency Medicine 2003 24(1) 61-63
- Role of the physician in prehospital management of trauma: North American perspective.
- Benitez FL, Pepe PE Curr Opin Crit Care 2002 Dec 8 6 551-8
- American College of Emergency Physicians