Dr. Linda A. Baker is a Board-Certified fellowship-trained Pediatric Urologist who has specialized in patient care and study of developmental biology of the normal genitourinary tract and congenital genitourinary birth defects.
After completion of a Urology Residency at the University of Virginia, Dr. Baker studied the molecular basis of genitourinary development as an American Foundation of Urologic Disease Research Scholar. Following this, Dr. Baker trained as a Pediatric Urology Fellow at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and subsequently accepted the position as Assistant Professor of Urology at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas in 1999.
She is now a Professor and the Interim Chief of Pediatric Urology at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
As Director of Pediatric Urologic Research she has created a functional productive molecular biology laboratory studying the impact of genetics on pediatric urologic diseases. She has published and spoken extensively in her areas of clinical and research interest.
Clinically, she specializes in performing reconstructive, laparoscopic kidney and testis surgery, disorders of sexual development, and complex genitourinary reconstructions.
|Medical School||University of Louisville School of Medicine (1989)|
|Internship||University of Virginia Health System (1991), General Surgery|
|Residency||University of Virginia Health System (1995), Urology|
|Fellowship||University of Virginia Health System (1997), Nephrology|
|Fellowship||Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1999), Pediatric Urology|
- Congenital Urological Abnormalities
- Hypospadias/Penile Abnormalities
- Reconstructive Urologic Surgery
- Undescended Testes/Tesits Torsion
- Causes of disorders of sexual development
- Causes of hypospadias
- Causes of undescended testes and testicular torsion
- Genetic Basis of Prune Belly Syndrome
- Inherited or familial birth defects of the genitourinary tract
- Pediatric renal stone disease
- The use of autologous buccal mucosa grafts in vaginal reconstruction.
- Grimsby GM, Baker LA Curr Urol Rep 2014 Aug 15 8 428
- DNA Copy-Number Variations in 46,XY Disorders of Sex Development.
- Harrison SM, Granberg CF, Keays M, Grimsby GM, Baker LA J. Urol. 2014 Jun
- DNA copy number variations in patients with persistent cloaca.
- Harrison SM, Seideman C, Baker LA J. Urol. 2014 May 191 5 Suppl 1543-6
- Autologous buccal mucosa graft for repair of recurrent rectovaginal fistula.
- Grimsby GM, Fischer AC, Baker LA Pediatr. Surg. Int. 2014 May 30 5 533-5
- Evaluation and Treatment of Cryptorchidism: AUA Guideline.
- Kolon TF, Anthony Herndon CD, Baker LA, Baskin LS, Baxter CG, Cheng EY, Diaz M, Lee PA, Seashore CJ, Tasian GE, Barthold JS J. Urol. 2014 May
- Autologous buccal mucosa graft augmentation for foreshortened vagina.
- Grimsby GM, Bradshaw K, Baker LA Obstet Gynecol 2014 May 123 5 947-50
- An Approach to the Identification of Anomalies and Etiologies in Neonates with Identified or Suspected VACTERL (Vertebral Defects, Anal Atresia, Tracheo-Esophageal Fistula with Esophageal Atresia, Cardiac Anomalies, Renal Anomalies, and Limb Anomalies) Association.
- Solomon BD, Baker LA, Bear KA, Cunningham BK, Giampietro PF, Hadigan C, Hadley DW, Harrison S, Levitt MA, Niforatos N, Paul SM, Raggio C, Reutter H, Warren-Mora N J. Pediatr. 2014 Mar 164 3 451-457.e1
- Urolithiasis in Children - Surgical Approach.
- Granberg, C. and Baker, L.A. Ped Clin NA 2012 In Press
- Comparative analysis of nephrolithiasis in otherwise healthy versus medically complex gastrostomy fed children.
- Smith PJ, Basravi S, Schlomer BJ, Bush NC, Brown BJ, Gingrich A, Baker LA J Pediatr Urol 2011 Jun 7 3 244-7
- Pediatric testicular torsion: demographics of national orchiopexy versus orchiectomy rates.
- Cost NG, Bush NC, Barber TD, Huang R, Baker LA J. Urol. 2011 Jun 185 6 Suppl 2459-63
Ch. 38, "Robotic Surgery Complications and Safety", pp. 279-289. In Pediatric Robotic and Reconstructive Urology
DaJusta, D. and Baker, L.A. (2012). Oxford, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Limited
Ch. 43 Cryptorchidism, pp.563-576. In Pediatric Urology, 2nd edition
Bergu, B., Baker, L.A., and Docimo, S.G. (2010). Philadelphia, W. B. Saunders Company
Exstrophy-Epispadias Complex. In The Kelalis-King-Belman Textbook of Clinical Pediatric Urology
Grady, R and Baker, L.A. (2007). Informa Healthcare
Ch. 94 Laparoscopic Treatment of the Non-palpable Testicle, pp 847-855. In Smith's Textbook of Endourology, 2nd edition
Baker, L.A. and Jordan, G.H. (2006). Hamilton, Ontario, BC Decker, Inc
General Principles of Cystourethroscopy. In In Pediatric Endourology Techniques, 2nd edition
Keays, M and Baker, L.A. (2013). Oxford, England, P. Blackwell Publishing
Bladder and Outlet Injection for Urinary Incontinence. In In Pediatric Endourology Techniques, 2nd edition
Yucel, S and Baker, L.A. (2013). London, England, P. Springer-Verlag London Ltd
Flaps in Hypospadias Surgery. In Hinman's Atlas of Urologic Surgery, 3rd Edition
Prieto, J.C. and Baker, L.A. (2011). Philadelphia, PA, Saunders
Ch. 14, Laparoscopy and Cryptorchidism, pp 161-176. In Minimally Invasive Approaches to Pediatric Urology
Baker, L.A., Lorenzo, A.J., Jordan, G.H., and Docimo, S.G. (2005). Oxfordshire, OX, UK, Taylor & Francis
Honors & Awards
- John W. Duckett, MD Pediatric Urology Research Excellence Award
Awarded by the American Urologic Association Urology Care Foundation (2014)
- America's Top Surgeons
Consumer's Research Council of America (2012)
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Magazine 2004, 2007, 2010, 2011, and (2012)
- SWIU/SBUR Award for Excellence in Urologic Research
- Top Doctors
US News & World Report (2011)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly Magazine 2010-2013 (2010)
- 2nd Place Clinical Poster Prize
European Society for Pediatric Urology (2005)
- First Prize Research Award
Engineering and Urology Society (2004)
- AAP Section of Urology Basic Research Prize Finalist
- Merck Younger Investigator Award
Society for Basic Urological Research (2002)
- American Society of Human Genetics (2010)
- Fellow American College of Surgeons (2002)
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Urology, 2001 (2001)
- Society for Basic Urological Research (2001)
- Society for Pediatric Urology (2001)
- American Urological Association (1997)
- Society for Fetal Urology (1997)