Shelby Holt was born and raised in San Angelo, Texas. She completed her undergraduate education at Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas and received her medical degree from the University of Texas Medical School in Houston. She completed general surgery residency training at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, during which time she served as administrative chief resident and was a member of the resident evaluation committee. She was asked to remain on the faculty at UTSW and focus on endocrine surgery. To prepare for this position, she received additional training from experts in the field of endocrine surgery at the Mayo Clinic and the University of Michigan. As a faculty member, she has made national and international presentations for surgical societies, and she organized the First Annual Texas Endocrine Surgery symposium, a collaborative effort between the three University of Texas medical school campuses.
|Medical School||University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston (1995)|
|Internship||Parkland Health and Hospital System (1996), General Surgery|
|Residency||Parkland Health and Hospital System (2000), General Surgery|
|Fellowship||University of Michigan (2001), Endocrine Surgery|
- Thyroid Cancer, Masses & Tumors
- Thyroid Nodules
- Evaluation and management of endocrine disease
- The Impact of Obesity on the Presentation of Primary Hyperparathyroidism.
- Tran H, Grange JS, Adams-Huet B, Nwariaku FE, Rabaglia JL, Woodruff SL, Holt SA, Maalouf NM J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014 Mar jc20133903
- Papillary thyroid carcinoma shows elevated levels of 2-hydroxyglutarate.
- Rakheja D, Boriack RL, Mitui M, Khokhar S, Holt SA, Kapur P Tumour Biol. 2011 Apr 32 2 325-33
- Significance of Elevated parathyroid Hormone following Parathyroidectomy for primary Hyperparathyroidism
- Oltmann SC, Maalouf NM, Holt S Endocr Pract 2011 17 (1) 57-62
- Effect of the Bethesda system for reporting thyroid cytopathology on thyroidectomy rates and malignancy risk in cytologically indeterminate lesions.
- Rabaglia JL, Kabbani W, Wallace L, Holt S, Watumull L, Pruitt J, Snyder WH, Nwariaku FE Surgery 2010 Dec 148 6 1267-72; discussion 1272-3
- Inframanubrial parathyroid glands in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism: alternatives to sternotomy.
- Nwariaku FE, Snyder WH, Burkey SH, Watumull L, Mathews D World J Surg 2005 Apr 29 4 491-4
- Prevalence of Malignancy within Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules.
- Miller BS, Lindberg G, Burkey SH, Snyder WH, Nwariaku F. Am J Surg 2004 188 (5) 459 - 462
- Feasibility and performance in 100 consecutive patients with primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Burkey SH, Snyder WH, Nwariaku, Watumull L, Mathews D Arch Surg 2003 138 (6) 604 - 609
- Will directed parathyroidectomy utilizing either the gamma probe or intraoperative PTH assay replace bilateral cervical exploration as the preferred operation for primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Burkey SH, van Heerden JA, Farley DR, Thompson GB, Grant CS, Curlee KJ World Journal of Surgery 2002 26 914-920
- Re-exploration for symptomatic hematomas after cervical exploration
- Burkey SH, van Heerden JA, Thompson GB, Grant CS, Farley DR Surgery 2001 130 914-920
Honors & Awards
- Faculty Teaching Award
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center - Dept. of Surgery (2012)
- Faculty Teaching Award
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center - Dept. of Surgery (2004)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
University of Texas Medical School, Houston (1994)
- Valedictorian of Graduating Class
San Angelo Central High School (1987)
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- Texas Surgical Society
- Western Surgical Society