My laboratory studies the molecular mechanisms of intracellular signal transduction pathways using a combination of structural and biochemical approaches. Our research program currently focuses on two major areas: (1) the spindle checkpoint and (2) the Hippo tumor suppressor pathway. In the first area, our work establishes a general framework of how the spindle checkpoint ensures the fidelity of chromosome segregation. Recently, we have initiated biochemical and structural studies of the Hippo pathway, which controls organ size by maintaining the delicate balance between cell proliferation and apoptosis. We have made great progress in structural and biochemical characterization of the core components in the Hippo pathway. Our studies provide insights into the molecular mechanisms of the Hippo signaling.
- Peking University (1990), Chemistry
- Graduate School
- Tufts University (1997), Biochemistry
- Cell cycle checkpoints and cancer
- Organ size control and cancer
- Structural biology
- Structural basis for Mob1-dependent activation of the core Mst-Lats kinase cascade in Hippo signaling.
- Ni L, Zheng Y, Hara M, Pan D, Luo X Genes Dev. 2015 Jun
- Synergistic blockade of mitotic exit by two chemical inhibitors of the APC/C.
- Sackton KL, Dimova N, Zeng X, Tian W, Zhang M, Sackton TB, Meaders J, Pfaff KL, Sigoillot F, Yu H, Luo X, King RW Nature 2014 Aug
- Structural basis for autoactivation of human Mst2 kinase and its regulation by RASSF5.
- Ni L, Li S, Yu J, Min J, Brautigam CA, Tomchick DR, Pan D, Luo X Structure 2013 Oct 21 10 1757-68
- Structural analysis of human Cdc20 supports multisite degron recognition by APC/C.
- Tian W, Li B, Warrington R, Tomchick DR, Yu H, Luo X Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Nov 109 45 18419-24
- Structure of human Mad1 C-terminal domain reveals its involvement in kinetochore targeting.
- Kim S, Sun H, Tomchick DR, Yu H, Luo X Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Apr 109 17 6549-54
- Structural and functional analysis of the YAP-binding domain of human TEAD2.
- Tian W, Yu J, Tomchick DR, Pan D, Luo X Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Apr 107 16 7293-8
- Protein metamorphosis: the two-state behavior of Mad2.
- Luo X, Yu H Structure 2008 Nov 16 11 1616-25
- p31comet blocks Mad2 activation through structural mimicry.
- Yang M, Li B, Tomchick DR, Machius M, Rizo J, Yu H, Luo X Cell 2007 Nov 131 4 744-55
- The Mad2 spindle checkpoint protein has two distinct natively folded states.
- Luo X, Tang Z, Xia G, Wassmann K, Matsumoto T, Rizo J, Yu H Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2004 Apr 11 4 338-45
- The Cdc20-binding Phe Box of the Spindle Checkpoint Protein BubR1 Maintains the Mitotic Checkpoint Complex During Mitosis.
- Diaz-Martinez LA, Tian W, Li B, Warrington R, Jia L, Brautigam CA, Luo X, Yu H J. Biol. Chem. 2015 Jan 290 4 2431-43
Honors & Awards
- CPRIT Individual Investigator Research Awards
- National Cancer Institute Howard Temin Award
- American Cancer Society ACS-IRG award
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Giovanni Armenise-Harvard Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow
Harvard Medical School (1997)
- Chinese Biological Investigators Society (2005-2015)