Dr. Caetano, a native of Brazil, earned an MD from the State University of Rio de Janeiro in 1969. After studying psychiatry at the University of London in England, he came to the United States in 1978 and earned a Master of Public Health in behavioral sciences and a PhD in epidemiology from the University of California, Berkeley. In 1983, he began working as a senior scientist for the California-based Alcohol Research Group, a National Institutes of Health-supported national alcohol research center that studies alcohol and drug use and related topics, and was director by the time he left to join the UT System in 1998.
Dr. Caetano has published his work on various topics, including the epidemiology of substance abuse and alcohol use by minorities, in dozens of scientific journals. He serves on the editorial boards of many substance-abuse publications and is a member of the advisory board of a number of related agencies in the community.
Dr. Caetano arrived at UT Southwestern in 1998 to serve as regional dean for the Dallas campus of the School of Public Health, a component of the UT Health Science Center at Houston. Dr. Caetano, also an adjunct professor of psychiatry at UT Southwestern and a professor of epidemiology at the School of Public Health, began his tenure as dean of the UT Southwestern School of Health Professions on August 7th, 2006.
|Medical School||Rio De Janeiro State University (1969), Medicine|
|Graduate School||University of California-Berkeley (1979), Public Health|
|Graduate School||University of California-Berkeley (1983)|
- Alcohol Health and Research
- Public Health
- Subtypes of Substance Dependence and Abuse: Implications for Diagnostic Classification and Empirical Research.
- Babor, T., Caetano, R. Addiction 2006 101 (Suppl. 1) 104-110
- Diagnosis of alcohol dependence in epidemiological surveys: An epidemic of youthful alcohol dependence or a case of measurement error?
- Caetano, R., Babor, T. Addiction 2006 101 (Suppl. 1) 111-114
- Alcohol abuse and dependence findings from the National Epidemiological Study of Alcohol-Related Conditions (NESARC)
- Caetano, R. Alcohol Health and Research 2006 29 152-155
- Preventing low birth weights in Illinois: Outcomes of the Family Case Management Program.
- Silva, R., Thomas, M., Caetano, R., Aragaki, C. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2006 10 133-138
- The epidemiology of drinking among women of child-bearing age.
- Caetano, R., Ramisetty-Mikler S., Floyd L. R., McGrath, C. Alcoholism, Clinicial and Experimental Research 2006 30 1023-1030
Honors & Awards
- MERIT (Method of Extend Research in Time) Award
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health (1999)
- American College of Epidemiology
- American Public Health Association
- Brazilian Association for the Study of Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Research Society on Alcoholism
- Texas Public Health Association