Dr. Mammen received his Bachelor in Science and Engineering in Bioengineering at the University of Pennsylvania and his Medical Doctorate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics. In 1998 he arrived at UT Southwestern Medical Center where he completed Fellowships in General Clinical Cardiology, Molecular Cardiology, and Clinical Heart Failure/Cardiac Transplantation. Dr. Mammen’s clinical and scientific focus revolves around heart failure/transplantation.
|Medical School||University of Wisconsin School of Medicine (1995)|
|Internship||University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1996), Internal Medicine|
|Residency||University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (1998), Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (2001), Cardiology|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Molecular Cardiology|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Heart Failure/cardiac Transplant|
- Amyloid Cardiomyopathy
- Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Familial Cardiomyopathy
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HOCM)
- Ischemic Cardiomyopathy
- Non-Compaction Cardiomyopathy
Heart Failure & Cardiac Support
- Acute Heart Failure
- Care of Patients with Advanced Heart Failure
- Destination Therapy Utilizing Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD)
- Initial Cardiology Consultations for Left Ventricular Assist Devcies (LVAD)
- Second Opinions for Advanced Heart Failure
Heart Transplant Medicine
- Bridge Therapy Prior to Transplantation Utilizing Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD)
- Care Following Heart Transplant Patients
- Cardiac energetics
- Modulation of the metabolic and redox states with stressed cardiomyocytes
- Oxidative stress
- Oxygen and nitric oxide metabolism in the heart
- Regenerative Medicine
- Calcineurin activates cytoglobin transcription in hypoxic myocytes.
- Singh S.*, S.M. Manda*, D. Sikder, M.J. Birrer, B.A. Rothermel, D.J. Garry, and P.P.A. Mammen. Journal of Biological Chemistry February 2009 In Press Online February 9, 2009
- LXRs: Double agents in the regulation of dietary fat and cholesterol metabolism.
- Kalaany N.Y, K.C. Gauthier, A.M. Zavacki, P.P.A. Mammen, T. Kitazume, J.A. Peterson, D.J. Garry, A.C. Bianco, and D.J. Mangelsdorf. Cell Metabolism 2005 1 231-244
- Emerging roles of myoglobin in the heart.
- Garry D.J., S.B. Kanatous, and P.P.A. Mammen Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine 2003 13 111-116
- Hypoxia-induced left ventricular dysfunction in myoglobin deficient mice.
- Mammen P.P.A., S.B. Kanatous, I. Yuhanna, P. W. Shaul, R.S. Balaban, M.G. Garry, and D.J. Garry Am J Physiol: Heart and Circulatory Physiology 2003 285 H2132-2141
- Myocyte-enriched calcineurin interacting protein, MCIP1, inhibits cardiac hypertrophy.
- Rothermel B.A., T.A. McKinsey, R.B. Vega, R.L.Nicol, P. Mammen, J. Yang, C. Antos, J.M. Shelton, R. Bassel-Duby, E.N. Olson, and R.S. Williams. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2001 98 3328-3333
- Adaptive mechanisms that preserve cardiac function in mice without myoglobin.
- Meeson A., N. Radford, J.M. Shelton, P.P.A. Mammen, Y.Kong, J.M. DiMaio, K. Hutcheson, J. Elterman, R.S. Williams, and D.J. Garry Circulation Research 2001 88 713-720
- Association of Cystatin C with left ventricular structure and function: The Dallas Heart Study.
- Patel, P.C., S.A. Murphy, R. Peshock, A. Khera, J.A. de Lemos, J.A. Balko, S Gupta, P.P.A. Mammen, M.H. Drazner, and D.W. Markham. Circulation-Heart Failure February 2009 In Press Online February 10, 2009
- Hypoxia reprograms calcium signaling and regulates myoglobin expression.
- Kanatous, S.B., P.P.A. Mammen, P.B. Rosenberg, C.M. Martin, M.D. White, J.M. DiMaio, G Huang, S. Muallem, and D.J. Garry American Journal of Physiology - Cell Physiology November 2008 In Press Presently online
- Fulminant myocarditis.
- Gupta S., D.W. Markham, M.H. Drazner, and P.P.A. Mammen Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine 2008 5(11) 693-706
- Cytoglobin: A novel stress-responsive hemoprotein that is expressed in the developing and adult brain.
- Mammen P.P.A., J.M Shelton, Q. Ye, S.B. Kanatous, A.J. McGrath, J.A. Richardson, and D.J. Garry Journal of Histochemistry & Cytochemistry 2006 54(12) 1349-1361
Molecular insights into the functional role of myoglobin.. In Hypoxia and the Circulation
Garry, D.J. and P.P.A. Mammen (2007). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Postdoctoral Mentor to Sarvjeet Singh, PhD, a Finalist for the Louis N. and Arnold M. Katz Basic Science Research Award
Highest basic science award given to a junior investigator. The award is sponsored by the American Heart Assoication (2010)
- 2nd Place, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Cardiovascular Young Investigators’ Forum
Outstanding research as a junior faculty member (2006)
- GlaxoSmithKline Competitive Grant Award for Young Investigators
One of four cardiovascular investigators in the nation to receive this competitive grant. (2005)
- Above and Beyond the Call of Duty Award
Recognition for compassionate care (U. of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics) (1998)
- Ernest O. Theilen Award
Outstanding Cardiac Care Unit Resident of the Year (U. of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics) (1998)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2008)
- Central Society for Clinical Research (2008)
- American College of Cardiology (2004)
- American College of Physicians (2004)
- American Heart Association (2004)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2004)
- Heart Failure Society of America (2004)
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2004)
- Texas Medical Association (2004)