Patrick Leavey graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 1986. He spent 4 years in Ireland as a junior house officer (Internal Medicine and Pediatrics), 2 years at Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth, Western Australia as a pediatric registrar and then came to the US to do his pediatric hematology/oncology fellowship at The Children’s Hospital Denver and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in 1992. Dr. Leavey worked in the lab of Daniel Ambruso, M.D. for 4 years on projects related to the influence of G-CSF on granulocyte function and the exploration and identification of a novel neutrophil cytosolic protein.
Dr. Leavey joined the pediatric faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 1998 where he is currently a Professor of Pediatrics and a Pediatric Oncologist at the Children’s Medical Center (CMC) Dallas.
During his years of training Dr. Leavey became a member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and a Diplomate of Child Health from the National University of Ireland. He submitted a thesis based on his work in the lab and was granted a Doctorate in Medicine from the National University of Ireland. He is also subspecialty board certified in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology by the American Board of Pediatrics.
Currently Dr. Leavey holds several leadership positions both regionally and nationally. He is the Associate Medical Director for Clinical Affairs, for the Pauline Allen Gill Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children’s Health Dallas and the Director of the Musculoskeletal Tumors Program at Children's Health Dallas. Dr. Leavey is a member of the Board of Trustees for American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology and the Secretary-Treasured of the Council of Pediatric Subspecialties. Dr. Leavey is also the Chair for the international AEWS1031 study for newly diagnosed patients with non-metastatic Ewing Sarcoma at the Children’s Oncology Group.
- Medical School
- Royal College of Surgeons (1986)
- Beaumont Hospital (1987), General Surgery
- St. Vincents Hospital - Dublin Ireland (1989), Internal Medicine
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (1996), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Children's Hospital of Denver (1998), Pediatrics
- Identification of depression and anxiety in children with cancer.
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Education
- Study of children with primary cancers of bone with an emphasis on protocol development in patients with osteogenic sarcoma and Ewing's sarcoma.
- IL-8 Predicts Pediatric Oncology Patients With Febrile Neutropenia at Low Risk for Bacteremia.
- Cost CR, Stegner MM, Leonard D, Leavey P J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2013 Feb
- Graduate medical education changes: yes we can or enough already?
- Leavey PJ, Jubran RF Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Dec 59 7 1168-72
- Dose-intensified compared with standard chemotherapy for nonmetastatic Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: a Children's Oncology Group Study.
- Granowetter L, Womer R, Devidas M, Krailo M, Wang C, Bernstein M, Marina N, Leavey P, Gebhardt M, Healey J, Shamberger RC, Goorin A, Miser J, Meyer J, Arndt CA, Sailer S, Marcus K, Perlman E, Dickman P, Grier HE J. Clin. Oncol. 2009 May 27 15 2536-41
- Prognostic factors for patients with Ewing sarcoma (EWS) at first recurrence following multi-modality therapy: A report from the Children's Oncology Group.
- Leavey PJ, Mascarenhas L, Marina N, Chen Z, Krailo M, Miser J, Brown K, Tarbell N, Bernstein ML, Granowetter L, Gebhardt M, Grier HE Pediatr Blood Cancer 2008 Sep 51 3 334-8
- Ewing sarcoma: prognostic criteria, outcomes and future treatment.
- Leavey PJ, Collier AB Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2008 Apr 8 4 617-24
- Hoping is Coping: A Guiding Theoretical Framework for Promoting Coping and Adjustment Following Pediatric Cancer Diagnosis.
- Germann JN, Leonard D, Stuenzi TJ, Pop RB, Stewart SM, Leavey PJ J Pediatr Psychol 2015 Apr
- Recurrent internal tandem duplications of BCOR in clear cell sarcoma of the kidney.
- Roy A, Kumar V, Zorman B, Fang E, Haines KM, Doddapaneni H, Hampton OA, White S, Bavle AA, Patel NR, Eldin KW, John Hicks M, Rakheja D, Leavey PJ, Skapek SX, Amatruda JF, Nuchtern JG, Chintagumpala MM, Wheeler DA, Plon SE, Sumazin P, Parsons DW Nat Commun 2015 6 8891
- Important principles in Ewing sarcoma treatment.
- Leavey PJ Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 Dec 61 12 2149-50
- Humanism and professionalism education for pediatric hematology-oncology fellows: A model for pediatric subspecialty training.
- Kesselheim JC, Atlas M, Adams D, Aygun B, Barfield R, Eisenman K, Fulbright J, Garvey K, Kersun L, Nageswara Rao A, Reilly A, Sharma M, Shereck E, Wang M, Watt T, Leavey P Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 Oct
- Bone Scintigraphy in Osteosarcoma: A Single Institution Experience.
- Powers JM, Cost C, Cederberg K, Leonard D, Leavey PJ J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2014 Jun
Honors & Awards
- Faculty Teaching Award
UT Southwestern and Children's Medical Center (2009)
- Medical Achievement Award
Little Mo Award - awarded by Wipe out Kids Cancer (2008)
- Elected to the Society for Pediatric Research
- Achievement Award
’Gift of Giving Back Award’ first such award given by the Clayton Dabney Foundation for Kids with Cancer (2005)
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas, D Magazine
(2002, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2012)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2006)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2004)
- Children's Oncology Group (2002)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society
- Dallas County Medical Society and Texas Medical Association