Patrick Leavey graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 1986. He spent 4 years in Ireland as a junior house officer (Internal Medicine and Pediatrics), 2 years at Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth, Western Australia as a pediatric registrar and then came to the US to do his pediatric hematology/oncology fellowship at The Children’s Hospital Denver and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in 1992. Dr. Leavey worked in the lab of Daniel Ambruso, M.D. for 4 years on projects related to the influence of G-CSF on granulocyte function and the exploration and identification of a novel neutrophil cytosolic protein.
Dr. Leavey joined the pediatric faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 1998 where he is currently a Professor of Pediatrics and a Pediatric Oncologist at Children’s Health, Children’s Medical Center Dallas and Plano.
During his years of training Dr. Leavey became a member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and a Diplomate of Child Health from the National University of Ireland. He submitted a thesis based on his work in the Ambruso laboratory and was granted a Doctorate in Medicine from the National University of Ireland. He is also subspecialty board certified in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology by the American Board of Pediatrics.
Currently Dr. Leavey holds several leadership positions both regionally and nationally. He is the Associate Medical Director for Clinical Affairs, for the Pauline Allen Gill Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders and the Director of the Musculoskeletal Tumors Program at Children's Health. Dr. Leavey is the Vice-President of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology and a member of their Board of Trustees and Executive committee. He is the Secretary-Treasurer of the Council of Pediatric Subspecialties. At the Children’s Oncology Group (COG), Dr. Leavey is a member of the Bone Sarcoma Committee and the institutional principal investigator for UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Leavey also serves on the advisory boards for the Children’s Cancer Fund and The Clayton Dabney Foundation.
Dr. Leavey hold several key positions in clinical and translational research. He is the Chair for the COG international study for newly diagnosed patients with non-metastatic Ewing Sarcoma (AEWS1031). He is the principal investigator for a Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) funded study to develop a novel biomarker for osteosarcoma and he is the principal investigator for a Texas wide biospecimen study for childhood sarcoma also funded by CPRIT.
- Medical School
- Royal College of Surgeons (1986)
- Internship (Residency)
- Beaumont Hospital (1987), General Surgery
- St. Vincents Hospital - Dublin Ireland (1989), Internal Medicine
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (1996), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Children's Hospital of Denver (1998), Pediatrics
- Development of a novel biomarker for patients with Osteosarcoma
- Development of advances in therapy for patients with Ewing Sarcoma with an emphasis on protocol development for patients with newly diagnosed and recurrent Ewing Sarcoma
- Development of sophisticated genetic and clinically annotated data for patients with sarcoma in Texas
- IL-8 Predicts Pediatric Oncology Patients With Febrile Neutropenia at Low Risk for Bacteremia.
- Cost CR, Stegner MM, Leonard D, Leavey P J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2013 Feb
- Graduate medical education changes: yes we can or enough already?
- Leavey PJ, Jubran RF Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Dec 59 7 1168-72
- Dose-intensified compared with standard chemotherapy for nonmetastatic Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: a Children's Oncology Group Study.
- Granowetter L, Womer R, Devidas M, Krailo M, Wang C, Bernstein M, Marina N, Leavey P, Gebhardt M, Healey J, Shamberger RC, Goorin A, Miser J, Meyer J, Arndt CA, Sailer S, Marcus K, Perlman E, Dickman P, Grier HE J. Clin. Oncol. 2009 May 27 15 2536-41
- Prognostic factors for patients with Ewing sarcoma (EWS) at first recurrence following multi-modality therapy: A report from the Children's Oncology Group.
- Leavey PJ, Mascarenhas L, Marina N, Chen Z, Krailo M, Miser J, Brown K, Tarbell N, Bernstein ML, Granowetter L, Gebhardt M, Grier HE Pediatr Blood Cancer 2008 Sep 51 3 334-8
- Ewing sarcoma: prognostic criteria, outcomes and future treatment.
- Leavey PJ, Collier AB Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2008 Apr 8 4 617-24
- Comparison of MAPIE versus MAP in patients with a poor response to preoperative chemotherapy for newly diagnosed high-grade osteosarcoma (EURAMOS-1): an open-label, international, randomised controlled trial.
- Marina NM, Smeland S, Bielack SS, Bernstein M, Jovic G, Krailo MD, Hook JM, Arndt C, van den Berg H, Brennan B, Brichard B, Brown KL, Butterfass-Bahloul T, Calaminus G, Daldrup-Link HE, Eriksson M, Gebhardt MC, Gelderblom H, Gerss J, Goldsby R, Goorin A, Gorlick R, Grier HE, Hale JP, Hall KS, Hardes J, Hawkins DS, Helmke K, Hogendoorn PC, Isakoff MS, Janeway KA, Jürgens H, Kager L, Kühne T, Lau CC, Leavey PJ, Lessnick SL, Mascarenhas L, Meyers PA, Mottl H, Nathrath M, Papai Z, Randall RL, Reichardt P, Renard M, Safwat AA, Schwartz CL, Stevens MC, Strauss SJ, Teot L, Werner M, Sydes MR, Whelan JS Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug
- Biomarker development in osteosarcoma-Is there no longer any utility to tumor necrosis?
- Leavey PJ Pediatr Blood Cancer 2016 Jun
- COMPUTER AIDED IMAGE SEGMENTATION AND CLASSIFICATION FOR VIABLE AND NON-VIABLE TUMOR IDENTIFICATION IN OSTEOSARCOMA.
- Arunachalam HB, Mishra R, Armaselu B, Daescu O, Martinez M, Leavey P, Rakheja D, Cederberg K, Sengupta A, Ni'suilleabhain M Pac Symp Biocomput 2016 22 195-206
- Hoping is Coping: A Guiding Theoretical Framework for Promoting Coping and Adjustment Following Pediatric Cancer Diagnosis.
- Germann JN, Leonard D, Stuenzi TJ, Pop RB, Stewart SM, Leavey PJ J Pediatr Psychol 2015 Apr
- Recurrent internal tandem duplications of BCOR in clear cell sarcoma of the kidney.
- Roy A, Kumar V, Zorman B, Fang E, Haines KM, Doddapaneni H, Hampton OA, White S, Bavle AA, Patel NR, Eldin KW, John Hicks M, Rakheja D, Leavey PJ, Skapek SX, Amatruda JF, Nuchtern JG, Chintagumpala MM, Wheeler DA, Plon SE, Sumazin P, Parsons DW Nat Commun 2015 6 8891
Honors & Awards
- Faculty Teaching Award
UT Southwestern and Children's Medical Center (2009)
- Medical Achievement Award
Little Mo Award - awarded by Wipe out Kids Cancer (2008)
- Elected to the Society for Pediatric Research
- Achievement Award
’Gift of Giving Back Award’ first such award given by the Clayton Dabney Foundation for Kids with Cancer (2005)
- Best Pediatric Specialists, D Magazine
(2002, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2012)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2006)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2004)
- Children's Oncology Group (2002)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society
- Dallas County Medical Society and Texas Medical Association