Dr. Burstein received his medical degree from Cayetano Heredia University in Lima, Peru. He completed his Internal Medicine residency training at UT Southwestern Medical School and a Gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Michigan Medical School. Thereafter, he was also a research fellow at the Vaccine Research Center at the National Institutes of Health. After completion of his training, he joined the Faculty at University of Michigan (2001-2008), and was later recruited to UT Southwestern, joining the Departments of Internal Medicine (Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases) and Molecular Biology. Dr. Burstein′s research interests include the molecular regulation of the inflammatory response, particularly in the intestinal tract, and ubiquitination events targeting the NF-kB transcription factor.
- Medical School
- Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University (1994)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Internal Medicine
- University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (2001), Gastroenterology
- Graduate School
- University of Groningen (2013), Molecular Genetics
- Crohn's Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- COMMD proteins
- Genetics of inflammatory disorders
- Inflammation, particularly in the intestinal tract
- COMMD1 is linked to the WASH complex and regulates endosomal trafficking of the copper transporter ATP7A.
- Phillips-Krawczak CA, Singla A, Starokadomskyy P, Deng Z, Osborne DG, Li H, Dick CJ, Gomez TS, Koenecke M, Zhang JS, Dai H, Sifuentes-Dominguez LF, Geng LN, Kaufmann SH, Hein MY, Wallis M, McGaughran J, Gecz J, van de Sluis B, Billadeau DD, Burstein E Mol. Biol. Cell 2014 Oct
- CCDC22 deficiency in humans blunts activation of proinflammatory NF-?B signaling.
- Starokadomskyy P, Gluck N, Li H, Chen B, Wallis M, Maine GN, Mao X, Zaidi IW, Hein MY, McDonald FJ, Lenzner S, Zecha A, Ropers HH, Kuss AW, McGaughran J, Gecz J, Burstein E J. Clin. Invest. 2013 Apr
- COMMD1 disrupts HIF-1alpha/beta dimerization and inhibits human tumor cell invasion.
- van de Sluis B, Mao X, Zhai Y, Groot AJ, Vermeulen JF, van der Wall E, van Diest PJ, Hofker MH, Wijmenga C, Klomp LW, Cho KR, Fearon ER, Vooijs M, Burstein E J. Clin. Invest. 2010 Jun 120 6 2119-30
- GCN5 is a required cofactor for a ubiquitin ligase that targets NF-kappaB/RelA.
- Mao X, Gluck N, Li D, Maine GN, Li H, Zaidi IW, Repaka A, Mayo MW, Burstein E Genes Dev. 2009 Apr 23 7 849-61
- COMMD1 promotes the ubiquitination of NF-kappaB subunits through a cullin-containing ubiquitin ligase.
- Maine GN, Mao X, Komarck CM, Burstein E EMBO J. 2007 Jan 26 2 436-47
- COMMD proteins, a novel family of structural and functional homologs of MURR1.
- Burstein E, Hoberg JE, Wilkinson AS, Rumble JM, Csomos RA, Komarck CM, Maine GN, Wilkinson JC, Mayo MW, Duckett CS J. Biol. Chem. 2005 Jun 280 23 22222-32
- A novel role for XIAP in copper homeostasis through regulation of MURR1.
- Burstein E, Ganesh L, Dick RD, van De Sluis B, Wilkinson JC, Klomp LW, Wijmenga C, Brewer GJ, Nabel GJ, Duckett CS EMBO J. 2004 Jan 23 1 244-54
- The gene product Murr1 restricts HIV-1 replication in resting CD4+ lymphocytes.
- Ganesh L, Burstein E, Guha-Niyogi A, Louder MK, Mascola JR, Klomp LW, Wijmenga C, Duckett CS, Nabel GJ Nature 2003 Dec 426 6968 853-7
- Copper Metabolism Domain-containing 1 Represses Genes that Promote Inflammation and Protects Mice From Colitis and Colitis-associated Cancer.
- Li H, Chan L, Bartuzi P, Melton SD, Weber A, Ben-Shlomo S, Varol C, Raetz M, Mao X, Starokadomskyy P, van Sommeren S, Mokadem M, Schneider H, Weisberg R, Westra HJ, Esko T, Metspalu A, Kumar V, Faubion WA, Yarovinsky F, Hofker M, Wijmenga C, Kracht M, Franke L, Aguirre V, Weersma RK, Gluck N, van de Sluis B, Burstein E Gastroenterology 2014 Apr
- Regulation of NF-?B activity by competition between RelA acetylation and ubiquitination.
- Li H, Wittwer T, Weber A, Schneider H, Moreno R, Maine GN, Kracht M, Schmitz ML, Burstein E Oncogene 2011 Jun
Honors & Awards
The American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) (2012)
- Helmsley Scholar
Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (2010)
- AGA Research Scholar Award
Foundation for Digestive Health and Nutrition (2003)
- John S. Miller Award
Outstanding Performance as a House Officer, UT Southwestern Medical School (1998)
Medical School of Cayetano Heredia University (1994)