Dr. Burstein received his medical degree from Cayetano Heredia University in Lima, Peru. He completed his Internal Medicine residency training at UT Southwestern Medical School and a Gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Michigan Medical School. Thereafter, he was also a research fellow at the Vaccine Research Center at the National Institutes of Health. After completion of his training, he joined the Faculty at University of Michigan (2001-2008), and was later recruited to UT Southwestern, joining the Departments of Internal Medicine (Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases) and Molecular Biology. Dr. Burstein′s research interests include the molecular regulation of the inflammatory response, particularly in the intestinal tract, and ubiquitination events targeting the NF-kB transcription factor.
- Medical School
- Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University (1994)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Internal Medicine
- University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (2001), Gastroenterology
- Graduate School
- University of Groningen (2013), Molecular Genetics
- COMMD proteins
- Genetics of inflammatory disorders
- Inflammation, particularly in the intestinal tract
- DNA polymerase-a regulates the activation of type I interferons through cytosolic RNA:DNA synthesis.
- Starokadomskyy P, Gemelli T, Rios JJ, Xing C, Wang RC, Li H, Pokatayev V, Dozmorov I, Khan S, Miyata N, Fraile G, Raj P, Xu Z, Xu Z, Ma L, Lin Z, Wang H, Yang Y, Ben-Amitai D, Orenstein N, Mussaffi H, Baselga E, Tadini G, Grunebaum E, Sarajlija A, Krzewski K, Wakeland EK, Yan N, de la Morena MT, Zinn AR, Burstein E Nat. Immunol. 2016 Mar
- Endosomal sorting of Notch receptors through COMMD9-dependent pathways modulates Notch signaling.
- Li H, Koo Y, Mao X, Sifuentes-Dominguez L, Morris LL, Jia D, Miyata N, Faulkner RA, van Deursen JM, Vooijs M, Billadeau DD, van de Sluis B, Cleaver O, Burstein E J. Cell Biol. 2015 Nov 211 3 605-17
- COMMD1 is linked to the WASH complex and regulates endosomal trafficking of the copper transporter ATP7A.
- Phillips-Krawczak CA, Singla A, Starokadomskyy P, Deng Z, Osborne DG, Li H, Dick CJ, Gomez TS, Koenecke M, Zhang JS, Dai H, Sifuentes-Dominguez LF, Geng LN, Kaufmann SH, Hein MY, Wallis M, McGaughran J, Gecz J, van de Sluis B, Billadeau DD, Burstein E Mol. Biol. Cell 2014 Oct
- CCDC22 deficiency in humans blunts activation of proinflammatory NF-?B signaling.
- Starokadomskyy P, Gluck N, Li H, Chen B, Wallis M, Maine GN, Mao X, Zaidi IW, Hein MY, McDonald FJ, Lenzner S, Zecha A, Ropers HH, Kuss AW, McGaughran J, Gecz J, Burstein E J. Clin. Invest. 2013 Apr
- COMMD1 promotes the ubiquitination of NF-kappaB subunits through a cullin-containing ubiquitin ligase.
- Maine GN, Mao X, Komarck CM, Burstein E EMBO J. 2007 Jan 26 2 436-47
- COMMD proteins, a novel family of structural and functional homologs of MURR1.
- Burstein E, Hoberg JE, Wilkinson AS, Rumble JM, Csomos RA, Komarck CM, Maine GN, Wilkinson JC, Mayo MW, Duckett CS J. Biol. Chem. 2005 Jun 280 23 22222-32
- Copper Metabolism Domain-containing 1 Represses Genes that Promote Inflammation and Protects Mice From Colitis and Colitis-associated Cancer.
- Li H, Chan L, Bartuzi P, Melton SD, Weber A, Ben-Shlomo S, Varol C, Raetz M, Mao X, Starokadomskyy P, van Sommeren S, Mokadem M, Schneider H, Weisberg R, Westra HJ, Esko T, Metspalu A, Kumar V, Faubion WA, Yarovinsky F, Hofker M, Wijmenga C, Kracht M, Franke L, Aguirre V, Weersma RK, Gluck N, van de Sluis B, Burstein E Gastroenterology 2014 Apr
- Regulation of NF-?B activity by competition between RelA acetylation and ubiquitination.
- Li H, Wittwer T, Weber A, Schneider H, Moreno R, Maine GN, Kracht M, Schmitz ML, Burstein E Oncogene 2011 Jun
- COMMD1 disrupts HIF-1alpha/beta dimerization and inhibits human tumor cell invasion.
- van de Sluis B, Mao X, Zhai Y, Groot AJ, Vermeulen JF, van der Wall E, van Diest PJ, Hofker MH, Wijmenga C, Klomp LW, Cho KR, Fearon ER, Vooijs M, Burstein E J. Clin. Invest. 2010 Jun 120 6 2119-30
- GCN5 is a required cofactor for a ubiquitin ligase that targets NF-kappaB/RelA.
- Mao X, Gluck N, Li D, Maine GN, Li H, Zaidi IW, Repaka A, Mayo MW, Burstein E Genes Dev. 2009 Apr 23 7 849-61
Honors & Awards
The American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) (2012)
- Helmsley Scholar
Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (2010)
- AGA Research Scholar Award
Foundation for Digestive Health and Nutrition (2003)
- John S. Miller Award
Outstanding Performance as a House Officer, UT Southwestern Medical School (1998)
Medical School of Cayetano Heredia University (1994)