Dr. Burstein received his medical degree from Cayetano Heredia University in Lima, Peru. He completed his Internal Medicine residency training at UT Southwestern Medical School and a Gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Michigan Medical School. Thereafter, he was also a research fellow at the Vaccine Research Center at the National Institutes of Health. After completion of his training, he joined the Faculty at University of Michigan (2001-2008), and was later recruited to UT Southwestern, joining the Departments of Internal Medicine (Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases) and Molecular Biology. Dr. Burstein′s research interests include the molecular regulation of the inflammatory response, particularly in the intestinal tract, and ubiquitination events targeting the NF-kB transcription factor.
|Medical School||Cayetano Heredia Peruvian University (1994)|
|Residency||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers (2001), Gastroenterology|
- COMMD proteins
- Inflammation, particularly in the intestinal tract
- NF-kB regulation
- COMMD1 disrupts HIF-1alpha/beta dimerization and inhibits human tumor cell invasion.
- van de Sluis B, Mao X, Zhai Y, Groot AJ, Vermeulen JF, van der Wall E, van Diest PJ, Hofker MH, Wijmenga C, Klomp LW, Cho KR, Fearon ER, Vooijs M, Burstein E. The Journal of Clinical Investigation June 2010 120 6 2119-2130
- GCN5 is a required cofactor for a ubiquitin ligase that targets NF-kappaB/RelA.
- Mao X, Gluck N, Li D, Maine GN, Li H, Zaidi IW, Repaka A, Mayo MW, Burstein E Genes and Development April 2009 23 7 849-861
- COMMD1 promotes the ubiquitination of NF-kB subunits through a cullin containing ubiquitin ligase
- Maine GN, Mao X, Komarck CM, Burstein E EMBO Journal January 2007 26 2 459-467
- A novel role for XIAP in copper homeostasis through regulation of MURR1
- Burstein E, Ganesh L, Dick RD, Brewer GJ, van De Sluis B, Wilkinson J, Lewis J, Klomp LWJ, Wijmenga C, Nabel GJ, Duckett CS EMBO Journal January 2004 23 1 244-254
- The gene product Murr1 restricts HIV-1 replication in resting CD4+ lymphocytes
- Ganesh L, Burstein E, Guha-Niyogi A, Louder M, Mascola J, Klomp LWJ, Wijmenga C, Duckett CS, Nabel GJ Nature December 2003 426 6968 853-857
- Regulation of NF-kappaB activity by competition between RelA acetylation and ubiquitination.
- Li H, Wittwer T, Weber A, Schneider H, Moreno R, Maine GN, Kracht M, Schmitz ML, Burstein E. Oncogene February 2012 31 5
- A bimolecular affinity purification method under denaturing conditions for rapid isolation of a ubiquitinated protein for mass spectrometry analysis
- Maine GN, Zaidi IW, Li H, Basrur V, Elenitoba-Johnson K, Burstein E. Nature Protocols August 2010 5 8 1447-1459
- XIAP is copper binding protein deregulated in Wilson′s disease and other copper toxicosis disorders
- Mufti AR, Burstein E, Csomos RA, Graf TCF, Wilkinson JC, Dick RD, Challa M, Son JK, Bratton SB, Su GL, Brewer GJ, Jakob U, Duckett CS Molecular Cell March 2006 21 6 775-785
Honors & Awards
The American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) (2012)
- Helmsley Scholar
Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (2010)
- AGA Research Scholar Award
Foundation for Digestive Health and Nutrition (2003)
- John S. Miller Award
Outstanding Performance as a House Officer, UT Southwestern Medical School (1998)
Medical School of Cayetano Heredia University (1994)