Lona Sandon, MEd, RD, LD, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. She served as national spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for nine years. Ms. Sandon was named the 2005 Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year by the Texas Dietetic Association and received the 2006 Dallas Dietetic Association Excellence in Media Award and the 2007 Excellence in Media Award from the Texas Dietetic Association.
Ms. Sandon holds a Masters of Education in Education Technology from the University of Texas, Brownsville and a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Minnesota. She completed a one-year dietetic internship at the University of Minnesota Hospital and Clinics (now Fairview University Hospital). She is currently pursing a doctorate degree in Health Studies with an emphasis in higher education and wellness programming and plans to obtain the Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) credential in the near future.
Ms. Sandon has a personal interest in wellness and sports nutrition and exercise. She is a certified fitness instructor by the American Council on Exercise and a Level III YogaFit instructor. Daily exercise of cycling, aerobics, yoga, or weight training is just her way of life. She has over ten years experience in leading fitness and wellness classes for multiple health and fitness centers. She is frequently contacted to speak for community events and employee health and wellness programs.
|Graduate School||University of Texas at Brownsville (2002)|
- Lifestyle behavioral interventions in the work place and communities for decreasing chronic disease risk factors.
- Nutritions role in enhancing sports performance.
- Use of education technology for improving learning retention and engagement.
- Inflammation, Diet, and Cancer
- Lona Sandon, MEd, RDN Lisa Blackman, MCN, MS, RDN Oncology Nutrition Connection 2012 20 4 10-15
- Sports Nutrition for an Adult Female Endurance Athlete
- Lona Sandon Albert Einstein College of Medicine Cyber Rounds January 2011 http://www.cyberounds.com/cmecontent/art485.html
- A System for Designing Effective Online Education
- Lona Sandon, M.Ed., R.D. Journal of The American Dietetic Association August 2007 Issue 8/Volume 107 1305-1360
Honors & Awards
- Innovator in Practice and Eduction
This award recognizes registered dietitians who are using innovative teaching methods in education of future dietetics practitioners. (2010)
- Excellence in Media Award Texas Dietetic Association
This award recognizes registered dietitians who have made significant contributions to improving the publics knowledge of nutrition through the use of media. (2007)
- Excellence in Media Award Dallas Dietetic Association
This award recognizes registered dietitians who have made significant contributions to assisting the media in providing sound scientific information to the public. Awarded by the Dallas Dietetic Association. (2006)
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year
This award recognizes achievements of young dietitians in the state of Texas. (2005)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Council on Exercise
- Dallas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Nutrition Educators of Health Professionals
- Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutritionists, DPG of ADA