Dr. Yu-Guang He joined the Department of Ophthalmology as an Assistant Professor in 2001. In 2006, he became the first holder of the Zora Meagher Macular Degeneration Research Professoship in the Department of Ophthalmology and in 2011 he was named the Josephine Long Biddle Chair in Age-Related Macular Degeneration Research.
Prior to joining UT Southwestern, he completed a vitro-retinal surgery fellowship at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle. He attended medical school at Tongi Medical University in Wuhan, China, and did his residency at UT Southwestern. His research interests are ocular-epithelial cell transplantation and ocular immunology. Dr. He received first place for his scientific paper presentation at the 1992 CLAO Annual Meeting. In 1999 and 2001, he received the Resident and Fellow Research Forum Presenter Award from the Association of University Professors of Ophthalmologists. In addition, he received the James A.Shannon Directors Award from the National Institutes of Health in 1995.
- Medical School
- Tongji Medical University (1982)
- Tongii Medical University (1988), Ophthalmology
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1990), Cornea Service
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1996), Transitional Year
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1999), Ophthalmology
- University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals (2001), Vitreoretinal
- Ocular cell biology
- Ocular immunology
- Transplantation of RPE cells
- Dexamethasone intravitreal implant (Ozurdex) for the treatment of pediatric uveitis.
- Bratton ML, He YG, Weakley DR J AAPOS 2014 Apr 18 2 110-3
- Handheld shape discrimination hyperacuity test on a mobile device for remote monitoring of visual function in maculopathy.
- Wang YZ, He YG, Mitzel G, Zhang S, Bartlett M Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2013 Aug 54 8 5497-505
- Methods and reproducibility of grading optimized digital color fundus photographs in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2 Report Number 2).
- Danis RP, Domalpally A, Chew EY, Clemons TE, Armstrong J, SanGiovanni JP, Ferris FL Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2013 Jul 54 7 4548-54
- FEASIBILITY OF A NOVEL REMOTE DAILY MONITORING SYSTEM FOR AGE-RELATED MACULAR DEGENERATION USING MOBILE HANDHELD DEVICES: Results of a Pilot Study.
- Kaiser PK, Wang YZ, He YG, Weisberger A, Wolf S, Smith CH Retina (Philadelphia, Pa.) 2013 Apr
- miRNAs as potential therapeutic targets for age-related macular degeneration.
- Wang S, Koster KM, He Y, Zhou Q Future Med Chem 2012 Mar 4 3 277-87
- Reticular drusen associated with geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration.
- Schmitz-Valckenberg S, Alten F, Steinberg JS, Jaffe GJ, Fleckenstein M, Mukesh BN, Hohman TC, Holz FG Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2011 Aug 52 9 5009-15
- Elevated vascular endothelial growth factor level in Coats' disease and possible therapeutic role of bevacizumab.
- He YG, Wang H, Zhao B, Lee J, Bahl D, McCluskey J Graefes Arch. Clin. Exp. Ophthalmol. 2010 Oct 248 10 1519-21
- Functional analysis of platelet-activating factor in the retinal pigment epithelial cells and choroidal endothelial cells.
- He YG, Wang H, Zhao B, Hsu M, Liao D, Owens J, Johnston J Curr. Eye Res. 2009 Nov 34 11 957-65
- PD-L1 expression on human ocular cells and its possible role in regulating immune-mediated ocular inflammation.
- Yang W, Li H, Chen PW, Alizadeh H, He Y, Hogan RN, Niederkorn JY Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2009 Jan 50 1 273-80
- Transplanted corneal graft with metastatic cholangiocarcinoma to the donor eye.
- Yao X, Lee M, Ying F, Huang L, Qi W, Zhao P, He YG Eye Contact Lens 2008 Nov 34 6 340-2
Honors & Awards
- Texas Monthly Magazine
Super Doctors (2014)
- D Magazine
Best Doctors in Dallas (2013)
- Endowed Chair
Josephine Lond Biddle Chair in Age-Related Macular Degeneration Research (2011)
- Small Business Innovation Research Award (NEI/NIH)
Validation of a Novel Vision Assessment System (2010)
- AAO (American Academy of Ophthalmology)
- ARVO (Assn. for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology)
- ASRS (American Society of Retina Specialists)
- TMA (Texas Medical Association)