Dr. Ranganathan serves as Director of the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Systems Biology at UT Southwestern.
He received his BS degree in bioengineering at the University of California, Berkeley, and his MD and PhD degrees from the University of California, San Diego, where he studied the mechanisms of visual transduction with Charles Zuker. His conducted postdoctoral work on voltage-gated potassium channels as a Life Sciences Research Foundataion fellow at Harvard Medical School with Roderick MacKinnon, and on protein x-ray crystallography at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies with Joseph Noel.
- Univ of California-Berkeley (1985), Bioengineering
- Graduate School
- University of California-San D (1992), Biology
- Medical School
- University of California-San D (1994), Medicine
- cellular signaling networks
- protein structure, function and dynamics
- Evolutionary Information for Specifying a Protein Fold
- Socolich, M., S.W. Lockless, H.L. Lee, K. Gardner, and R. Ranganathan Nature September 2005 437 512-518
- Natural-like Function in Artificial WW Domains
- Russ, W., D.M. Lowery, P. Mishra, M.B. Yaffe, and R. Ranganathan Nature September 2005 437 579-583
- Evolutionarily conserved networks of residues mediate allosteric coupling in proteins
- Suel GM, Lockless SW, Wall MA, Ranganathan R Nature Structural Biology January 2003 10 59-69
- A molecular pathway for light dependent photoreceptor apoptosis in drosophilia
- Kiselev A, Ranganathan R Neuron 2000 28 139-152
- Evolutionarily conserved pathways of energetic connectivity in protein families
- Lockless SW, Ranganathan R Science 1999 286 295-299
- Systems analysis of the single photon response in invertebrate photoreceptors.
- Pumir A, Graves J, Ranganathan R, and Shraiman BI. PNAS, in press. 2008
- Biochemistry. Signaling across the cell membrane.
- Ranganathan R. Science 2007 318(5854) 1253-4
- Dynamic scaffolding in a G protein-coupled signaling system.
- Mishra P, Socolich M, Wall MA, Graves J, Wang Z, Ranganathan R. Cell 2007 131(1) 80-92
- Signal transduction pathway of TonB-dependent transporters.
- Ferguson AD, Amezcua CA, Halabi NM, Chelliah Y, Rosen MK, Ranganathan R, Deisenhofer J. PNAS 2007 104(2) 513-8
- Knowledge-based potentials in protein design.
- Poole AM, Ranganathan R. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2006 16(4) 508-13
Honors & Awards
- Cecil H. and Ida Green Chair in Biomedical Science
- Edward Mallickrodt, Jr. Foundation Scholar