Dr Stehel is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas (UTSW). In this position she cares for patients in the Newborn Nursery at Parkland Health and Hospital System. Dr Stehel is a member of the Texas Pediatric Society Fetus and Newborn committee. Her interests are breastfeeding, hearing impairment and cytomegalovirus infection (CMV). She has presented and published on CMV infection in the newborn. Dr Stehel attended medical school at The University of Texas Southwestern and graduated in 1997. She completed her Pediatrics Residency at Childrena??s Medical Center in Dallas in 2000. After completion of her residency she joined the faculty at UTSW and has been working as a general pediatrician in the Newborn Nursery since. Dr Stehel enjoys teaching medical students and residents. A particular interest of hers is the development of a commitment to life long learning during residency. She has been recognized as an excellent teacher by the Pediatric Residents on several occasions. She coordinates the 3rd and 4th year medical student clerkships in the newborn nursery. She is also a UTSW college mentor for a small group of first year medical students. Dr Stehel has been married for 9 years. She enjoys running with her husband Ed. They have completed many events including a marathon. You can find them outside with their daughter Emery.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1997)
- Children's Health (CMC) (1998), Pediatrics
- Children's Health (CMC) (2000), Pediatrics
- CMV and hearing impairment
- Pneumonia, Hypocalcemia, and Gentamicin in the Term and Near-Term Neonate
- Resident and Medical Student Education
- Cytomegalovirus infection in the fetus and neonate
- Stehel EK, Sanchez PJ NeoReviews 2005 Jan 6 1
- Newborn Nursery Pink Manual, House Staff Orientation and Guidelines to Common Questions
- Jackson G, Sendelbach D, and Stehel E 2002
- Genotypic diversity and mixed infection in newborn disease and hearing loss in congenital cytomegalovirus infection.
- Pati SK, Pinninti S, Novak Z, Chowdhury N, Patro RK, Fowler K, Ross S, Boppana S Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2013 Oct 32 10 1050-4
- Saliva polymerase-chain-reaction assay for cytomegalovirus screening in newborns.
- Boppana SB, Ross SA, Shimamura M, Palmer AL, Ahmed A, Michaels MG, Sánchez PJ, Bernstein DI, Tolan RW, Novak Z, Chowdhury N, Britt WJ, Fowler KB N. Engl. J. Med. 2011 Jun 364 22 2111-8
- Maternal human immunodeficiency virus infection and congenital transmission of cytomegalovirus.
- Duryea EL, Sánchez PJ, Sheffield JS, Jackson GL, Wendel GD, McElwee BS, Boney LF, Mallory MM, Owen KE, Stehel EK Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2010 Oct 29 10 915-8
- Pulse oximetry screening at 4 hours of age to detect critical congenital heart defects.
- Sendelbach DM, Jackson GL, Lai SS, Fixler DE, Stehel EK, Engle WD Pediatrics 2008 Oct 122 4 e815-20
- Newborn hearing screening and detection of congenital cytomegalovirus infection.
- Stehel EK, Shoup AG, Owen KE, Jackson GL, Sendelbach DM, Boney LF, Sánchez PJ Pediatrics 2008 May 121 5 970-5
- Evaluation of a transcutaneous jaundice meter following hospital discharge in term and near-term neonates.
- Engle WD, Jackson GL, Stehel EK, Sendelbach DM, Manning MD J Perinatol 2005 Jul 25 7 486-90
- Pneumonia in term neonates: laboratory studies and duration of antibiotic therapy.
- Engle WD, Jackson GL, Sendelbach DM, Stehel EK, Ford DM, McHugh KM, Norris MR, Vedro DA, Velaphi S, Michelow IC, Olsen KD J Perinatol 2003 Jul-Aug 23 5 372-7
- Association of hypocalcemia with a change in gentamicin administration in neonates.
- Jackson GL, Sendelbach DM, Stehel EK, Baum M, Manning MD, Engle WD Pediatr. Nephrol. 2003 Jul 18 7 653-6
Honors & Awards
- Grass Roots Teaching Award
Childrens Medical Center, Dallas (2006)
- Top Ten Faculty Teachers
Pediatric Residents, Childrens Medical Center, Dallas (2002-2004)
- Magna Cum Laude, University of California at San Diego
- Texas Medical Association (2012)
- International Lactation Consultant Association (2010)
- Dallas Area Breastfeeding Alliance (2009)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (2003)
- Texas Pediatric Society, Member (2002)
- Dallas County Medical Society