Dr. Shen emigrated from Taiwan as a teenager and graduated from Stanford University with honors in biological sciences. He received his M.D. from UC San Diego School of Medicine, and completed both internal medicine and hematology-oncology training at UT Southwestern. He was the recipient of the Eugene Frenkel Outstanding Teacher of the Year award, and currently serves as the associate director for the hematology-oncology fellowship program at UTSW. He specializes in nonmalignant blood disorders and has a strong interest in hemostasis and thrombosis. Dr. Shen has an intimate collaboration with the transfusion medicine and hemostasis laboratory faculty. He is considered the local and regional expert in coagulation disorders.
- Medical School
- University of California at San Diego School of Medicine (1995)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1998), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Hematology & Oncology
Medical Treatment of Blood Disorders (Hematology)
- Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome
- Bleeding Disorders
- Blood Clotting Disorders
- Essential Thrombocythemia
- Hypercoagulable States
- Monoclonal Gammopathy
- Myeloproliferative Disorders
- Polycythemia Vera
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
- Thrombophilia testing
- Thrombosis & Hemostasis
- Incidence of isolated heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and risk of thrombosis by IgG-specific anti-PF4/heparin ELISA.
- Radaideh SM, Frenkel EP, Dowell JE, Sarode R, Shen YM Clin. Appl. Thromb. Hemost. 2012 Mar-Apr 18 2 215-7
- Lupus anticoagulant interference in activated protein C resistance testing: in vitro phenomenon or in vivo pathophysiologic effect?
- Shen YM, Cimo ML, Bai Y, Frenkel E, Sarode R Clin. Appl. Thromb. Hemost. 2011 Nov-Dec 17 6 E190-5
- Rare deletion from the fibrinogen Bß gene in a patient with a provoked venous thrombotic event.
- Shen YM, Sarode R, Bhogaraju A, Brennan S Blood Coagul. Fibrinolysis 2011 Oct 22 7 613-5
- Delayed massive pulmonary thromboembolic phenomenon following envenomation by Mojave rattlesnake (Crotalus scutulatus).
- Bhagat R, Sharma K, Sarode R, Shen YM Thromb. Haemost. 2010 Jul 104 1 186-8
- Advances in understanding the pathogenesis of primary familial and congenital polycythaemia.
- Huang LJ, Shen YM, Bulut GB Br. J. Haematol. 2010 Mar 148 6 844-52
- IgA antiphospholipid antibodies are an independent risk factor for thromboses.
- Shen YM, Lee R, Frenkel E, Sarode R Lupus 2008 Nov 17 11 996-1003
Honors & Awards
- Eugene P. Frenkel Outstanding Teacher of the Year
UT Southwestern (2011)
- Hemophilia and Thrombosis Research Society (2009)
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (2003)
- American Society of Hematology (2002)
- American College of Physician (1998)