Darren K. McGuire, MD, MHSc Dr. McGuire received his undergraduate degree from Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas and his medical degree in 1993 from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, inducted into the AOA medical honor society. He completed internal medicine residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and cardiology fellowship at Duke University, where he also spent 2 research years at the Duke Clinical Research Institute (DCRI) working on a number of large-scale, international clinical trials and registries. He served as the DCRI Chief Fellow 1999-2000, and during his research years, obtained a Masters Degree in Health Sciences-Clinical Trials from the Duke University School of Medicine.
Dr. McGuire joined the cardiology faculty at UT-Southwestern in August, 2001 where he is presently Professor of Internal Medicine, Director of the Cardiology Clinical Trials unit, and Director of the Parkland Hospital and Health System Outpatient Cardiology clinics. His main clinical and research interests are in the long-term prevention of and risk-modification for cardiovascular disease, especially among the population of patients with diabetes. He is actively involved in studying the effects of a number of therapeutic intervention strategies among patients with diabetes and cardiovascular disease. He is senior editor of Diabetes and Vascular Disease Research, associate editor of the American Heart Journal, a Fellow of the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology, prior Chair of the AHA Diabetes Committee, and a former member of and present ad hoc consultant for the FDA Cardiovascular and Renal Drugs Advisory Committee. Dr. McGuire has received numerous teaching awards, most notably the UT System Board of Regents Outstanding Teaching Award in 2013.
|Medical School||Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1993)|
|Internship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1994), Internal Medicine|
|Residency||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1996), Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997), Cardiology|
|Fellowship||Duke University School of Medicine (2001), Cardiology|
Diabetes & Heart Disease
- Assess Risk for Cardiovascular Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Initial Cardiology Consultations Cardiovascular Complications with Diabetes
- Second Opinions for Cardiovascular Complications with Diabetes
- Secondary Prevention for Cardiovascular Complications
- Cardiovascular Clinical Outcomes trials
- Diabetes and Vascular Disease
- Disparities in health care and outcomes by race and sex
- Epidemiology of coronary heart disease risk and prevention
- Saxagliptin and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Scirica BM, Bhatt DL, Braunwald E, Steg PG, Davidson J, Hirshberg B, Ohman P, Frederich R, Wiviott SD, Hoffman EB, Cavender MA, Udell JA, Desai NR, Mosenzon O, McGuire DK, Ray KK, Leiter LA, Raz I N. Engl. J. Med. 2013 Oct 369 14 1317-26
- Inaccuracy of Estimated Resting Oxygen Uptake in the Clinical Setting.
- Narang N, Thibodeau JT, Levine BD, Gore MO, Ayers CR, Lange RA, Cigarroa JE, Turer AT, de Lemos JA, McGuire DK Circulation 2013 Sep
- Executive summary: heart disease and stroke statistics--2013 update: a report from the American Heart Association.
- Go AS, Mozaffarian D, Roger VL, Benjamin EJ, Berry JD, Borden WB, Bravata DM, Dai S, Ford ES, Fox CS, Franco S, Fullerton HJ, Gillespie C, Hailpern SM, Heit JA, Howard VJ, Huffman MD, Kissela BM, Kittner SJ, Lackland DT, Lichtman JH, Lisabeth LD, Magid D, Marcus GM, Marelli A, Matchar DB, McGuire DK, Mohler ER, Moy CS, Mussolino ME, Nichol G, Paynter NP, Schreiner PJ, Sorlie PD, Stein J, Turan TN, Virani SS, Wong ND, Woo D, Turner MB Circulation 2013 Jan 127 1 143-52
- Diabetes mellitus and trends in hospital survival after myocardial infarction, 1994 to 2006: data from the national registry of myocardial infarction.
- Gore MO, Patel MJ, Kosiborod M, Parsons LS, Khera A, de Lemos JA, Rogers WJ, Peterson ED, Canto JC, McGuire DK Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2012 Nov 5 6 791-7
- Prasugrel versus clopidogrel for acute coronary syndromes without revascularization.
- Roe MT, Armstrong PW, Fox KA, White HD, Prabhakaran D, Goodman SG, Cornel JH, Bhatt DL, Clemmensen P, Martinez F, Ardissino D, Nicolau JC, Boden WE, Gurbel PA, Ruzyllo W, Dalby AJ, McGuire DK, Leiva-Pons JL, Parkhomenko A, Gottlieb S, Topacio GO, Hamm C, Pavlides G, Goudev AR, Oto A, Tseng CD, Merkely B, Gasparovic V, Corbalan R, Cinteza M, McLendon RC, Winters KJ, Brown EB, Lokhnygina Y, Aylward PE, Huber K, Hochman JS, Ohman EM N. Engl. J. Med. 2012 Oct 367 14 1297-309
- Dysfunctional adiposity and the risk of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes in obese adults.
- Neeland IJ, Turer AT, Ayers CR, Powell-Wiley TM, Vega GL, Farzaneh-Far R, Grundy SM, Khera A, McGuire DK, de Lemos JA JAMA 2012 Sep 308 11 1150-9
- Resolving drug effects from class effects among drugs for type 2 diabetes mellitus: more support for cardiovascular outcome assessments.
- Gore MO, McGuire DK European heart journal 2011 Aug 32 15 1832-4
- No association between hemoglobin A1c and in-hospital mortality in patients with diabetes and acute myocardial infarction.
- Britton KA, Aggarwal V, Chen AY, Alexander KP, Amsterdam E, Fraulo E, Muntner P, Thomas L, McGuire DK, Wiviott SD, Roe MT, Schubart UK, Fox CS Am. Heart J. 2011 Apr 161 4 657-663.e1
- Clinical characteristics, vascular function, and inflammation in women with angina in the absence of coronary atherosclerosis: the Dallas Heart Study.
- Banks K, Puttagunta D, Murphy S, Lo M, McGuire DK, de Lemos JA, Chang AY, Grundy SM, Khera A JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2011 Jan 4 1 65-73
- Glucose-lowering targets for patients with cardiovascular disease: focus on inpatient management of patients with acute coronary syndromes.
- Kosiborod M, McGuire DK Circulation 2010 Dec 122 25 2736-44
Honors & Awards
- Regents Outstanding Teaching Award
UT System Board of Regents (2013)
- L. David Hillis Award for Excellence in Teaching
UT Southwestern Cardiology Fellowship (2012)
- Outstanding Research Mentor Award
UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Housestaff (2012)
- Outstanding Research Mentor Award
UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Housestaff (2011)
- Hendrix College Odyssey Award in Research
Career Achievement in Clinical Research (2009)
- Outstanding Teacher Award
UT Southwestern Senior Medical Student Class (2008)
- Outstanding Teacher Award
UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Housestaff (2006)
- Outstanding Fellow in Clinical Research
Duke University Cardiology Fellowship Award (2001)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1993)
- American Diabetes Association
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, American Heart Association
- Fellow, National Lipid Association