I direct the Community Prevention and Intervention Unit of Internal Medicine. This unit is composed of 40 professionals in epidemiology, health education, counseling, evaluation research, training, planning, and intervention design. The staff specializes in working closely with communities to develop and implement effective programs. The unit conducts epidemiological and intervention research in HIV prevention; it is one of 5 sites conducting HIV incidence studies. It also participates in statewide and regional HIV prevention planning and evaluation programs. It operates an HIV counseling and testing program and a street outreach prevention effort.
One of 4 national HIV/STD Prevention behavioral intervention-training centers is part of the unit as is a nation-wide capacity-building assistance program that works with agencies that provide HIV prevention programs to persons living with HIV. In addition to HIV prevention, the staff conducts intervention research into hypertension and cardiovascular disease prevention in the African American communities.
|Graduate School||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1979), Health Services Research|
- Cancer Control
- HIV Prevention
- Hypertension Prevention
- Program Evaluation Research
- Bridging Data and Decision-Making: Development of Techniques for Improving HIV Prevention Community Planning Process
- Jenkins R, Robbins A, Cranston K, Batchelor K, Freeman A, Averbach A, Amaro H, Morrill A, Blake S, Logan J, Carey J AIDS and Behavior June 2005 9, Supplement 41-53
- Improving the Use of Data for HIV Prevention Decision Making: Lessons Learned
- Jenkins R, Averbach A, Robbins A, Cranston K, Amaro H, Morrill A, Blake S, Logan J, Batchelor K, Freeman A, Carey J AIDS and Behavior June 2005 9, Supplement 87-99
- An Investigation into a Reported Cancer Cluster Using the Nearest-Neighbor Statistical Technique
- Freeman AC, Zucker RS Advances in Cancer Control March 1985 Presentation, Wash., DC
- Setting and Adherence to Criteria for Managing Cervical, Breast and Endometrial Cancer Among Community Physicians
- Fowler WC, Freeman AC, Hulka BS, Kaluzny AD, O'Keefe SP, Symons MJ, Lee YY Progress in Cancer Control 1983 C Mettlin, M.D. ed
- Delays in Cervical Cancer Treatment: An Assessment of Patient and Provider Characteristics.
- Fowler WC, Freeman AC, Hulka BS, Kaluzny AD, O'Keefe SP, Symons MJ, Lee YY Advances in Cancer Control 1983 PF Engstrom, MD, ed.
- A Formative Assessment of the Use of Behavioral Data in HIV Prevention in Texas
- Batchelor K, Freeman A, Robbins A, Dudley T, Phillips N AIDS and Behavior June 2005 9, Supplement 29-40
- After the Innovation: Outcomes from the Texas Behavioral Data Project
- Batchelor K, Robbins A, Freeman A, Dudley T, Phillips N AIDS and Behavior June 2005 9, Supplement 71-86
- Lay Beliefs About High Blood Pressure in a Low-to-Middle Income Urban African American Community: An Opportunity for Improving Hypertension Control
- Wilson R, Freeman A, Kazda M, Andrews T, Berry L, Vaeth P, Victor R American Journal of Medicine February 2002
- Community-Level HIV Intervention in 5 Cities: Final Outcome Data from the CDC AIDS Community Demonstration Projects
- The CDC AIDS Community Demonstration Projects Research Group American Journal of Public Health 1999 89 336-345
Honors & Awards
- Public Health Traineeship