Dr. Yins research at UT Southwestern involves the study of the actin cytoskeleton which serves many essential functions. Actin polymerization drives membrane movements, and actin filaments assemble into a scaffold that supports the cells motors and signaling machinery. The scaffold is continually remodeled in proliferating cells, and is completely dismantled in apoptotic cells.
Dr. Yin is studying how the membrane lipids phosphatidylinositol 4,5 bisphosphate (PIP2) and phosphatidylinositol 4 phosphate (PI4P) regulates the actin scaffold and membrane trafficking in proliferating and autophagic cells. She focuses on the lipid kinases that synthesize PIP2 and the regulatory proteins that respond to PIP2. Her lab is currently pursuing the following projects:
- PIP2 regulates the actin cytoskeleton,vesicle transport, intracellular calcium signaling and apoptosis
- PI4P regulation of the actin cytoskeleton, Golgi trafficking and autophagy
- Mount Holyoke College (1970), Biology
- Graduate School
- Harvard University (1976), Physiology
- Differential targeting of type II phosphatidylinositol 4 kinase alpha and beta to the Golgi and the plasma membrane
- Phosphoinositide regulation of the actin cytoskeleton, membrane trafficking and autophagy
- Phosphoinositide regulation of the Golgi
- GABARAPs regulate PI4P-dependent autophagosome:lysosome fusion
- Wang, H, Sun HQ, Zhu X, Zhang Li, Albanesi J, Levine B, Yin H Proc Natil Acad Science 2015 112:7015-20
- Sustaining the clinical and translational research workforce: Training and empowering the next generation of investigators
- Yin HL, Gabrilove J, Jackson R, Sweeney C, Fair AL, Toto R. Acad Med 2015 90:861-5.
- Phosphatidylinositol 4 phosphate regulates targeting of clathrin adaptor AP-1 complexes to the Golgi
- Wang YJ, Wang J, Sun HQ, Martinez M, Sun YX, Macia E, Kirchhausen T, Albanesi JP, Roth MG, Yin HL Cell August 2003 114(3) 299-310
- Phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate induces actin-based movement of raft-enriched vesicles through WASP-Arp2/3
- Rozelle AL, Machesky LM, Yamamoto M, Driessens MH, Insall RH, Roth MG, Luby-Phelps K, Marriott G, Hall A, Yin HL Curr Biol March 2000 10(6) 311-20
- gCap39, a calcium ion- and polyphosphoinositide-regulated actin capping protein
- Yu FX, Johnston PA, Sudhof TC, Yin HL Science December 1990 250(4986) 1413-5
- Control of cytoplasmic actin gel-sol transformation by gelsolin, a calcium-dependent regulatory protein
- Yin HL, Stossel TP Nature October 1979 281(5732) 583-6
- Phosphatidylinositol 4-Kinase IIa Is Palmitoylated by Golgi-localized Palmitoyltransferases in Cholesterol-dependent Manner.
- Lu D, Sun HQ, Wang H, Barylko B, Fukata Y, Fukata M, Albanesi JP, Yin HL J. Biol. Chem. 2012 Jun 287 26 21856-65
- Phosphatidylinositol 4, 5 bisphosphate and the actin cytoskeleton.
- Zhang L, Mao YS, Janmey PA, Yin HL Subcell. Biochem. 2012 59 177-215
- Oxidative stress decreases phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate levels by deactivating phosphatidylinositol- 4-phosphate 5-kinase beta in a Syk-dependent manner.
- Chen MZ, Zhu X, Sun HQ, Mao YS, Wei Y, Yamamoto M, Yin HL J. Biol. Chem. 2009 Aug 284 35 23743-53
- Palmitoylation Controls the Catalytic Activity and Subcellular Distribution of Phosphatidylinositol 4-Kinase IIalpha
- Barylko B, Mao YS, Wlodarski P, Jung G, Binns DD, Sun HQ, Yin HL, Albanesi JP J Biol Chem February 2009 [Epub ahead of print]
Honors & Awards
- Inaugural holder of the Margaret Yin Chair for the Advancement of Women Faculty
- The Innovation in Health Science Education Award, University of Texas System Kenneth Shine Academy
- Distinguished Teaching Professor, University of Texas System Kenneth Shine Academy of Health Science Education
- 2000 - 2004
Editorial Board, Journal of Biological Chemistry (0)
Peter and Jean D. Dehlinger Professorship in Biomedical Sciences (0)
- 2006 - 2007
Fellow of the Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine Program (ELAM), Drexel College of Medicine
- Director, NIH T32 Institutional Training Grant (2015-2020)
- 2008-Present: Director, HHMI Med Grad Mech of Disease & Transl. Sci. Track, Southwestern Graduate School (2008-2015)