Dr. White is the first holder of the Audre Newman Rapoport Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Endocrinology. Recruited to UT Southwestern in 1994 from Cornell University Medical College in New York City, he is a Professor of Pediatrics and directs the pediatric endocrinology program at UT Southwestern. Dr. White holds undergraduate and medical degrees from Harvard University. He was a resident in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital and a research fellow in molecular biology at Rockefeller University. He was on the faculty at Cornell for 13 years and reached the rank of Professor of Pediatrics. His laboratory has studied the molecular basis of several genetic diseases of steroid hormone synthesis and metabolism. Some of these diseases affect growth, sexual differention or the ability to conserve salt in the blood, whereas others cause high blood pressure. Most recently, he has branched into study of a very large cell-surface molecule that his laboratory discovered by accident. It is important for development of the nervous system; mutations in this protein cause seizures, deafness and progressive blindness. Dr. White has received a number of awards and honors including the Ernst Oppenheimer Award of the Endocrine Society in 1991 and the Mead-Johnson Award of the Society for Pediatric Research in 1996. He has served on several advisory committees for the National Institutes of Health and several editorial boards.
|Medical School||Harvard Medical School (1976)|
|Residency||Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1978), Pediatrics|
|Fellowship||Rockefeller University Hospital (1980), Molecular Biology|
- Genetic diseases of steroid hormone biosynthesis and metabolism
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Human hypertension caused by mutations in the kidney isozyme of 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase
- Mune T. Rogerson FM. Nikkila H. Agarwal AK. White PC. Nature Genetics August 1995 10(4) 394-9
- Disease expression and molecular genotype in congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency.
- Speiser PW. Dupont J. Zhu D. Serrat G. Buegeleisen M. Tusie-Luna MT. Lesser M. New MI. White PC. Journal of Clinical Investigation 1992 1992 584-95
- Glucocorticoid suppressible hyperaldosteronism results from hybrid genes created by unequal crossovers between CYP11B1 and CYP11B2.
- Pascoe L. Curnow KM. Slutsker L. Connell J. Speiser PW. New MI. White PC. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 1992 89 8327-31
- The product of the CYP11B2 gene is requird for aldosterone biosynthesis in the human adrenal cortex.
- Curonw KM. Tusie-Luna MT. Pascoe L. Natarajan R. Gu JL. Nadler JL. White PC. Molecular Endocrinology 1991 5 1513-22
- Structure of the human steroid 21-hydroxylase genes.
- White PC. New MI. Dupont B. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 1986 83 5111-15
- SCF, BDNF, and Gas6 are regulators of growth plate chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation.
- Hutchison MR. Basset MH. White PC. Molecular Endocrinology 2010 24 193-203
- Institution of basal-bolus therapy at diagnosis for children with type 1 diabetes.
- Adhikari S. Huet B. Wang YCA. Marks JF. White PC. Pediatrics 2009 123(4) e673-8
- Screening for type 2 diabetes in obese youth.
- Shah S. Kublaoui BM. Oden JD. White PC. Pediatrics 2009 124(2) 573-9
- Abnormalities of glucose homeostasis and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in mice lacking hexose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase.
- Rogoff D. Ryder JW. Black K. Yan Z. Burgess SC. McMillan DR. White PC. Endocrinology 2007 148 5072-80
- Gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from children with diabetes.
- Kaizer, EC. Glaser CL. Chaussabel D. Banchereau J. Pascual V. White PC. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2007 92 3705-11
Honors & Awards
- Mead Johnson Award
Society for Pediatric Research (1996)
- MERIT Award
National Institutes of Health (1994)
- The Audre Newman Rapoport Distinguished Chair
Pediatric Endocrinology (1994)
- Ernst Oppenheimer Award
The Endocrine Society (1991)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (1984)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- Society for Pediatric Research
- The Endocrine Society