Dr. Vanderveldt is an Advanced Therapeutic Gastroenterologist specializing in Pancreatobiliary disease. He did his Fellowship in Gastroenterology at the University of Miami. Following this he completed additional training in advanced therapeutic procedures at the State University of New York Downstate under the mentorship of Frank Gress, MD. Prior to coming to UT Southwestern, Dr. Vanderveldt has been on faculty at institutions such as; The University of Miami, the State University of New York Downstate, Texas Tech University El Paso, and The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio. He brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in advanced therapeutics for gastrointestinal disease including the use of novel resection techniques for early GI cancers. Outside of the University, Dr. Vanderveldt is a Flight Surgeon in the United States Air Force Reserve and has been deployed to Afghanistan.
- Medical School
- East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine (2002)
- Jackson Memorial Hospital (2005), Internal Medicine
- University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital (2008), Gastroenterology
- SUNY Health Sciences Center at Brooklyn (2013), Gastroenterology Advanced Endoscopy
- Colon/Rectal Polyps
- Colorectal Cancer
- Barrett's Esophagus
Gastrointestinal Interventional Endoscopy
- Balloon Dilation/Pneumatic Balloon
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Enteroscopy - PUSH
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)
- Moderate Sedation
- Wire Guided Savary Dilation
- Bile Duct Cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma)
Liver Transplant Evaluations
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Hereditary Pancreatitis
- Pancreatic Cyst & Insufficiency
- Pancreatic Disease
- Biliary Disease
- Chronic Pancreatitis
- Early GI Mucosal Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- EUS-guided FNA and diagnosis of a malignant pleural effusion in pancreatic cancer.
- Vanderveldt HS, Ganjei-Azar P, Shanmugan N, Ribeiro A Gastrointest. Endosc. 2007 Nov 66 5 1058-60
- Can findings on wireless capsule endoscopy predict further bleeding?
- Vanderveldt HS, Barkin JS Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007 Mar 4 3 132-3
- Direct visualization of the Bravo pH system to ensure proper deployment.
- Vanderveldt H, Barkin JS Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2006 Jul 101 7 1672-3; author reply 1673-4
- The evaluation of dysphagia after anterior cervical spine surgery: a case report.
- Vanderveldt HS, Young MF Dysphagia 2003 18 4 301-4
Weight Loss. In Textbook of Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2nd Ed.
Rogers A, Vanderveldt, H, Deshpande, A (2012). Wiley-Blackwell
If I Suspect a Small Bowel Lesion, How Do I Choose Among Small Bowel Series, Capsule Endoscopy, CT Enterography, and Double Balloon Enteroscopy as the Diagnostic Test?. In Curbside Consultation in Endoscopy: 49 Clinical Questions
Vanderveldt H, Barkin J (2009). Thorofare: Slack Incorporated
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Graduate
U.S. Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine, Aerospace Medicine Primary Course (2009)
- Professionalism in Medicine Award
University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital Internal Medicine Residency Program (2005)
- Student Inpatient Teaching Award
University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital Internal Medicine Residency Program (2004-2005)
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2015)