Dr. Homsi specializes in melanoma and sarcoma and treats patients with advanced skin cancer and soft tissue and bone sarcomas. He is Co-Lead of the Melanoma Disease Oriented Team at UT Southwestern Medical Center’s Simmons Cancer Center, and Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine in Hematology/Oncology. The Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, the only NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in North Texas
Dr Homsi believes in patient-centered care with an orientation toward the whole person. He is committed to quality care using evidence-based medicine when offering novel therapies. He is active in research related to melanoma and sarcoma with focus on immunotherapy and early phase clinical trials. His research has generated more than 40 publications that he has authored or co-authored, including many original articles.
Before he joined UT Southwestern in 2017, Dr. Homsi was an Assistant Professor of Cancer Medicine at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and the center affiliate in Arizona. Dr Homsi attended medical school at Damascus University in Syria. He completed a residency in internal medicine at Mercy Hospital in St Louis and a fellowship in hematology/oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center/University of South Florida in Tampa. He is board certified in medical oncology, and he’s a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- Medical School
- Damascus University School of Medicine (1995)
- Mercy Hospital (2004), Internal Medicine
- University of South Florida/Moffitt Cancer Center (2007), Hematology Oncology
- Cutaneous Melanoma
- Eye (Uveal) Melanoma
- Head & Neck Mucosal Melanoma
- Metastatic Melanoma
- Phase I Clinical Trials
- Primary & Metastatic Gastrointestinal Melanoma
- Primary & Metastatic Gynecological Melanoma
- Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Cancer Metastasis (Melanoma, Sarcoma)
- Clear Cell Sarcoma
- Melanoma Immunotherapy
- Merkel Cell Carcinoma
- Skin Cancer in Immunocompromised Individuals
- Skin Cancer Melanoma
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Skin
Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma
- Atypical Lipomatous Tumor
- Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberaus
- Epitheliod Sarcoma
- Extremity Sarcomas
- Fibromatosis (Desmoid Tumors)
- Malignant Fibrous Histiocytoma
- Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumors (MPNST)
- Retroperitoneal Sarcoma (Liposarcoma)
- Sarcoma of the Breast
- Soft Tissue Tumors (Sarcoma)
- Synovial Sarcoma
- Phase 1 Trials
- Skin Cancer
- A phase II study of ipilimumab plus temozolomide in patients with metastatic melanoma.
- Patel SP, Kim DW, Bassett RL, Cain S, Washington E, Hwu WJ, Kim KB, Papadopoulos NE, Homsi J, Hwu P, Bedikian AY Cancer Immunol. Immunother. 2017 Jun
- A randomized, controlled phase III trial of nab-Paclitaxel versus dacarbazine in chemotherapy-naïve patients with metastatic melanoma.
- Hersh EM, Del Vecchio M, Brown MP, Kefford R, Loquai C, Testori A, Bhatia S, Gutzmer R, Conry R, Haydon A, Robert C, Ernst S, Homsi J, Grob JJ, Kendra K, Agarwala SS, Li M, Clawson A, Brachmann C, Karnoub M, Elias I, Renschler MF, Hauschild A Ann. Oncol. 2015 Nov 26 11 2267-74
- Specific lymphocyte subsets predict response to adoptive cell therapy using expanded autologous tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in metastatic melanoma patients.
- Radvanyi LG, Bernatchez C, Zhang M, Fox PS, Miller P, Chacon J, Wu R, Lizee G, Mahoney S, Alvarado G, Glass M, Johnson VE, McMannis JD, Shpall E, Prieto V, Papadopoulos N, Kim K, Homsi J, Bedikian A, Hwu WJ, Patel S, Ross MI, Lee JE, Gershenwald JE, Lucci A, Royal R, Cormier JN, Davies MA, Mansaray R, Fulbright OJ, Toth C, Ramachandran R, Wardell S, Gonzalez A, Hwu P Clin. Cancer Res. 2012 Dec 18 24 6758-70
- BRAF, NRAS and KIT sequencing analysis of spindle cell melanoma.
- Kim J, Lazar AJ, Davies MA, Homsi J, Papadopoulos NE, Hwu WJ, Bedikian AY, Woodman SE, Patel SP, Hwu P, Kim KB J. Cutan. Pathol. 2012 Sep 39 9 821-5
- Impact of clinical and pathologic features on tumor-infiltrating lymphocyte expansion from surgically excised melanoma metastases for adoptive T-cell therapy.
- Joseph RW, Peddareddigari VR, Liu P, Miller PW, Overwijk WW, Bekele NB, Ross MI, Lee JE, Gershenwald JE, Lucci A, Prieto VG, McMannis JD, Papadopoulos N, Kim K, Homsi J, Bedikian A, Hwu WJ, Hwu P, Radvanyi LG Clin. Cancer Res. 2011 Jul 17 14 4882-91
- Phase 2 open-label study of weekly docosahexaenoic acid-paclitaxel in patients with metastatic uveal melanoma.
- Homsi J, Bedikian AY, Papadopoulos NE, Kim KB, Hwu WJ, Mahoney SL, Hwu P Melanoma Res. 2010 Dec 20 6 507-10
- Phase 2 open-label study of weekly docosahexaenoic acid-paclitaxel in cutaneous and mucosal metastatic melanoma patients.
- Homsi J, Bedikian AY, Kim KB, Papadopoulos NE, Hwu WJ, Mahoney SL, Hwu P Melanoma Res. 2009 Aug 19 4 238-42
- Src activation in melanoma and Src inhibitors as therapeutic agents in melanoma.
- Homsi J, Cubitt CL, Zhang S, Munster PN, Yu H, Sullivan DM, Jove R, Messina JL, Daud AI Melanoma Res. 2009 Jun 19 3 167-75
- Phase I trial of poly-L-glutamate camptothecin (CT-2106) administered weekly in patients with advanced solid malignancies.
- Homsi J, Simon GR, Garrett CR, Springett G, De Conti R, Chiappori AA, Munster PN, Burton MK, Stromatt S, Allievi C, Angiuli P, Eisenfeld A, Sullivan DM, Daud AI Clin. Cancer Res. 2007 Oct 13 19 5855-61
- Melanoma of the anal canal: a case series.
- Homsi J, Garrett C Dis. Colon Rectum 2007 Jul 50 7 1004-10
Rethinking Phase I Trials: Going beyond toxicity in evaluating new agents. In ASCO Education Book
Homsi J (2007).
Honors & Awards
- Team Science Award
Melanoma Research Alliance (2011)
- K12 Mentored Clinical Scientist Award
National Institutes of Health (2006-2007)
- Merit Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting (2006)
- Pain Merit Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting (2001)