Jun Wu obtained his bachelor degree in Clinical Medicine from Shandong University School of Medicine, China. He earned his Ph.D. degree in Life Science from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, focusing on centrosome cycle regulation. Dr. Wu received his postdoctoral training at University of Southern California with Dr. Martin Pera and the Salk Institute with Dr. Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte. His postdoctoral work focused on stem cell biology and genome editing. In January 2018, Dr. Wu joined UT Southwestern as an assistant professor in the Department of Molecular Biology.
Dr. Wu’s work has contributed to the generation of new stem cells for basic and translational studies, and developing novel and efficient genome and epigenome editing tools. He expanded the spectrum of pluripotent states by capturing several new types of pluripotent stem cells (PSCs) with distinct molecular and phenotypic features, and helped establish a 3D culture system that supports long-term expansion of nephron progenitor cells.
Recently, he has generated PSC-derived interspecies chimeras and developed an efficient and versatile interspecies blastocyst complementation system for targeted organ-enrichment of xenogeneic donor PSCs. His group is particularly interested in harnessing interspecies chimeras for studying developmental biology in an evolutionary context, body- and organ-size determination, species’ specific behavioral traits, cancer resistance, and molecular basis of species barriers.
- Genome and Epigenome Editing
- Interspecies Chimeras and Organogenesis
- Mammalian Synthetic Biology
- Species Preservation
- Stem Cells and Pluripotency
- Correction of a pathogenic gene mutation in human embryos.
- Ma H, Marti-Gutierrez N, Park SW, Wu J, Lee Y, Suzuki K, Koski A, Ji D, Hayama T, Ahmed R, Darby H, Van Dyken C, Li Y, Kang E, Park AR, Kim D, Kim ST, Gong J, Gu Y, Xu X, Battaglia D, Krieg SA, Lee DM, Wu DH, Wolf DP, Heitner SB, Belmonte JCI, Amato P, Kim JS, Kaul S, Mitalipov S Nature 2017 Aug 548 7668 413-419
- Derivation of Pluripotent Stem Cells with In Vivo Embryonic and Extraembryonic Potency.
- Yang Y, Liu B, Xu J, Wang J, Wu J, Shi C, Xu Y, Dong J, Wang C, Lai W, Zhu J, Xiong L, Zhu D, Li X, Yang W, Yamauchi T, Sugawara A, Li Z, Sun F, Li X, Li C, He A, Du Y, Wang T, Zhao C, Li H, Chi X, Zhang H, Liu Y, Li C, Duo S, Yin M, Shen H, Belmonte JC, Deng H Cell 2017 Apr 169 2 243-257.e25
- Interspecies Chimerism with Mammalian Pluripotent Stem Cells.
- Wu J, Platero-Luengo A, Sakurai M, Sugawara A, Gil MA, Yamauchi T, Suzuki K, Bogliotti YS, Cuello C, Morales Valencia M, Okumura D, Luo J, Vilariño M, Parrilla I, Soto DA, Martinez CA, Hishida T, Sánchez-Bautista S, Martinez-Martinez ML, Wang H, Nohalez A, Aizawa E, Martinez-Redondo P, Ocampo A, Reddy P, Roca J, Maga EA, Esteban CR, Berggren WT, Nuñez Delicado E, Lajara J, Guillen I, Guillen P, Campistol JM, Martinez EA, Ross PJ, Izpisua Belmonte JC Cell 2017 Jan 168 3 473-486.e15
- Stem cells and interspecies chimaeras.
- Wu J, Greely HT, Jaenisch R, Nakauchi H, Rossant J, Belmonte JC Nature 2016 Dec 540 7631 51-59
- In vivo genome editing via CRISPR/Cas9 mediated homology-independent targeted integration.
- Suzuki K, Tsunekawa Y, Hernandez-Benitez R, Wu J, Zhu J, Kim EJ, Hatanaka F, Yamamoto M, Araoka T, Li Z, Kurita M, Hishida T, Li M, Aizawa E, Guo S, Chen S, Goebl A, Soligalla RD, Qu J, Jiang T, Fu X, Jafari M, Esteban CR, Berggren WT, Lajara J, Nuñez-Delicado E, Guillen P, Campistol JM, Matsuzaki F, Liu GH, Magistretti P, Zhang K, Callaway EM, Zhang K, Belmonte JC Nature 2016 Dec 540 7631 144-149
- Cellular Metabolism and Induced Pluripotency.
- Wu J, Ocampo A, Izpisua Belmonte JC Cell 2016 Sep 166 6 1371-85
- 3D Culture Supports Long-Term Expansion of Mouse and Human Nephrogenic Progenitors.
- Li Z, Araoka T, Wu J, Liao HK, Li M, Lazo M, Zhou B, Sui Y, Wu MZ, Tamura I, Xia Y, Beyret E, Matsusaka T, Pastan I, Rodriguez Esteban C, Guillen I, Guillen P, Campistol JM, Izpisua Belmonte JC Cell Stem Cell 2016 Aug
- Stem Cells: A Renaissance in Human Biology Research.
- Wu J, Izpisua Belmonte JC Cell 2016 Jun 165 7 1572-85
- Dynamic Pluripotent Stem Cell States and Their Applications.
- Wu J, Izpisua Belmonte JC Cell Stem Cell 2015 Nov 17 5 509-25
- An alternative pluripotent state confers interspecies chimaeric competency.
- Wu J, Okamura D, Li M, Suzuki K, Luo C, Ma L, He Y, Li Z, Benner C, Tamura I, Krause MN, Nery JR, Du T, Zhang Z, Hishida T, Takahashi Y, Aizawa E, Kim NY, Lajara J, Guillen P, Campistol JM, Esteban CR, Ross PJ, Saghatelian A, Ren B, Ecker JR, Izpisua Belmonte JC Nature 2015 May 521 7552 316-21
Honors & Awards
- Virginia Murchison Linthicum Scholar in Medical Research
The Endowed Scholars Program in Medical Science provides generous financial support over four years to newly appointed tenure-track assistant professors at UT Southwestern Medical Center. (2018)
- CPRIT Scholar: First-Time, Tenure-Track Faculty Members Program
The First-Time, Tenure-Track Faculty Members program recruits emerging investigators pursuing their first faculty appointment who have the ability to make outstanding contributions to the field of cancer research. (2017)
- Postdoctoral Training Fellowship , California Institute for Regenerative Medicine