Dr. Shwin received her training in internal medicine in New York at the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center. She completed her fellowship in Rheumatology at the National Institutes of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases and the National Institutes of Health (NIAMS/ NIH). Her research at the NIH was related to biopsy-based immune cell studies and adenosine related analysis with focus on patients with vasculitis and vasculopathy including monogenic interferon- and interleukin-1-mediated diseases. Dr Shwin is a faculty of Internal Medicine in the Division of Rheumatic Diseases at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and the VA North Texas HealthCare System. She is interested in tissue-based immune cell studies and histopathologic characterization for disease classification and in studying biomarkers for early diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Outside of medicine, Dr Shwin enjoys nature and creativity.
- Biopsy-based Studies for Diagnosis and Management of Rheumatic Diseases
- Cutaneous Manifestations of Rheumatic Diseases
- Neutrophilic Dermatoses
- Pathogenesis and Biomarker Analysis of Rheumatic Diseases
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Vasculitis and Vasculopathy in Rheumatic Diseases
- Dermatologic Manifestations of Monogenic Autoinflammatory Diseases.
- Shwin KW, Lee CR, Goldbach-Mansky R Dermatol Clin 2017 Jan 35 1 21-38
- Intra-articular, bursa, and tendon sheath injections: a survey of practice patterns among members of the American College of Rheumatology.
- Lazaro D, Alon L, Ramessar N, Cabas-Vargas J, Shwin K, Stefanov DG J Clin Rheumatol 2014 Mar 20 2 91-3
Honors & Awards
- Blue Ribbon Poster Award
Rheumatism Society of the District of Columbia (2016)
- Top Oral Presentation & Outstanding Research Award
North American Young Rheumatology Investigator Forum, Congress of Clinical Rheumatology (2016)
- American College of Rheumatology (2011)
- Myanmar American Medical Education Society (2008)