Dr. Bishop is Associate Professor of Pathology and Director of Head and Neck Pathology at UT Southwestern. A native Texan, Dr. Bishop grew up in Arlington, TX and received his undergraduate and medical degrees at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas. He completed his pathology residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore and received training head and neck pathology with Dr. William Westra. Dr. Bishop served as faculty at Johns Hopkins, where he reached the rank of associate professor and was the Director of the Immunohistochemistry laboratory and associate director of the head and neck pathology consult practice.
Dr. Bishop is an expert in the surgical pathology diagnosis of head and neck and endocrine diseases. He has published 175 journal articles, 19 book chapters, and 5 books, and lectured extensively both nationally and internationally. Dr. Bishop contributed 15 chapters to the most recent WHO Classification of Head and Neck Tumors, and will be the lead author of the upcoming AFIP Fascicle of Salivary Gland Tumors. He is an associate editor for Histopathology and JAMA Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and a member of the editorial boards of American Journal of Surgical Pathology, Oral Oncology, and Annals of Otology and Rhinology, & Laryngology.
Send Dr. Bishop consultation cases to: Justin Bishop, M.D., UT Southwestern Medical Center, Charles Sprague Building CS3.620, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75390
- Medical School
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine (2006)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2010), Pathology
- Clinopathologic characterization of head and neck tumors, with an emphasis on salivary gland tumors, sinonasal tract tumors, and human papillomavirus (HPV)-related tumors.
- SMARCB1 (INI-1)-deficient Sinonasal Carcinoma: A Series of 39 Cases Expanding the Morphologic and Clinicopathologic Spectrum of a Recently Described Entity.
- Agaimy A, Hartmann A, Antonescu CR, Chiosea SI, El-Mofty SK, Geddert H, Iro H, Lewis JS, Märkl B, Mills SE, Riener MO, Robertson T, Sandison A, Semrau S, Simpson RH, Stelow E, Westra WH, Bishop JA Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2017 Apr 41 4 458-471
- Cytopathologic features of NUT midline carcinoma: A series of 26 specimens from 13 patients.
- Bishop JA, French CA, Ali SZ Cancer 2016 Dec 124 12 901-908
- Biphenotypic sinonasal sarcoma: an expanded immunoprofile including consistent nuclear ß-catenin positivity and absence of SOX10 expression.
- Rooper LM, Huang SC, Antonescu CR, Westra WH, Bishop JA Hum. Pathol. 2016 Sep 55 44-50
- Large Cell Neuroendocrine Carcinoma of the Head and Neck: A Clinicopathologic Series of 10 Cases With an Emphasis on HPV Status.
- Thompson ED, Stelow EB, Mills SE, Westra WH, Bishop JA Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2016 Apr 40 4 471-8
- Newly Described Tumor Entities in Sinonasal Tract Pathology.
- Bishop JA Head Neck Pathol 2016 Mar 10 1 23-31
- Ciliated HPV-related Carcinoma: A Well-differentiated Form of Head and Neck Carcinoma That Can Be Mistaken for a Benign Cyst.
- Bishop JA, Westra WH Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2015 Nov 39 11 1591-5
- Adamantinoma-like Ewing family tumors of the head and neck: a pitfall in the differential diagnosis of basaloid and myoepithelial carcinomas.
- Bishop JA, Alaggio R, Zhang L, Seethala RR, Antonescu CR Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2015 Sep 39 9 1267-74
- HPV-related squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: An update on testing in routine pathology practice.
- Bishop JA, Lewis JS, Rocco JW, Faquin WC Semin Diagn Pathol 2015 Sep 32 5 344-51
- Polymorphous low grade adenocarcinoma has a consistent p63+/p40- immunophenotype that helps distinguish it from adenoid cystic carcinoma and cellular pleomorphic adenoma.
- Rooper L, Sharma R, Bishop JA Head Neck Pathol 2015 Mar 9 1 79-84
- SMARCB1 (INI-1)-deficient carcinomas of the sinonasal tract.
- Bishop JA, Antonescu CR, Westra WH Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2014 Sep 38 9 1282-9
Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology: Head and Neck Pathology
Lester Thompson, Justin A Bishop (2018). Philadelphia, Elsevier
Differential Diagnoses in Surgical Pathology: Head and Neck
William H Westra, Justin A Bishop (2016). Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer
Quick Reference Handbook for Surgical Pathologists
Natasha Rekhtman and Justin A Bishop (2011). New York, Springer
Atlas of Radiologic-Cytopathologic Correlations
Armanda Tatsas Syed Z Ali, Justin A Bishop, Salina Tsai, Shelia Sheth, Anil V Parwani (2012). New York, Demos
Atlas of Salivary Gland Cytopathology with Histopathologic Correlations
Chris VandenBussche, Syed Z Ali, William Faquin, Zahra Maleki, Justin A Bishop (2017). New York, Demos