Dr. Taurog has been a faculty member in the Division of Rheumatic Diseases at UT Southwestern since 1986. Since joining the faculty he has served as attending physician in rheumatology and internal medicine at Parkland Memorial Hospital. From 1980 to 1986 he was a faculty member in rheumatology and internal medicine at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.
The goal of Dr. Taurog's research has been to understand the molecular basis for the association of the rheumatic disease called ankylosing spondylitis with the major histocompatibility allele HLA-B27. This MHC class I allele is found in 7 percent of the U.S. population, but in over 90 percent of individuals with ankylosing spondylitis. Of individuals with B27, it is estimated that up to 13 percent will develop ankylosing spondylitis or a related form of spondyloarthritis.
Dr. Taurog's efforts largely involve the study of rats transgenic for HLA-B27 and its associated light chain, beta-2-microglobulin. The rats develop a spontaneous arthritis and spondylitis that in many ways mimics the spectrum of the human spondyloarthropathies.
We have used a variety of cellular, genetic, biochemical and microbiological approaches have been used to try to understand the role of the B27 molecule in the pathogenesis of this experimental disorder.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1974)
- Brigham & Women's Hospital (1975), Int. Medicine
- Brigham & Women's Hospital (1976), Int. Medicine
- National Institutes of Health-Research (1980), Immunology/rheumatology
- Role of HLA-B27 in Spondyloarthritis
- Inflammatory disease in HLA-B27 transgenic rats.
- Taurog JD, Maika SD, Satumtira N, Dorris ML, McLean IL, Yanagisawa H, Sayad A, Stagg AJ, Fox GM, Lê O'Brien A, Rehman M, Zhou M, Weiner AL, Splawski JB, Richardson JA, Hammer RE Immunol. Rev. 1999 Jun 169 209-23
- Spontaneous inflammatory disease in transgenic rats expressing HLA-B27 and human beta 2m: an animal model of HLA-B27-associated human disorders.
- Hammer RE, Maika SD, Richardson JA, Tang JP, Taurog JD Cell 1990 Nov 63 5 1099-112
- Relationship between inflammation, bone destruction, and osteoproliferation in spondyloarthritis in HLA-B27/Huß2m transgenic rats.
- van Duivenvoorde LM, Dorris ML, Satumtira N, van Tok MN, Redlich K, Tak PP, Taurog JD, Baeten DL Arthritis and rheumatism 2012 Jun
- Autoimmune epididymo-orchitis is essential to the pathogenesis of male-specific spondyloarthritis in HLA-B27 transgenic rats.
- Taurog JD, Rival C, van Duivenvoorde LM, Satumtira N, Dorris ML, Sun M, Shelton JM, Richardson JA, Hamra FK, Hammer RE, Tung KS Arthritis and rheumatism 2012 Apr
- The role of HLA-B27 in spondyloarthritis.
- Taurog JD J. Rheumatol. 2010 Dec 37 12 2606-16
- Spondylarthritis in HLA-B27/human beta-2-microglobulin-transgenic rats is not prevented by lack of CD8
- Taurog JD, Dorris ML, Satumtira N, Tran TM, Sharma R, Dressel R, van den Brandt J, Reichardt HM Arthritis & Rheumatism 2009 60 1977-1984
- Dendritic cell functional defect correlates with spondyloarthritis phenotypes in HLA-B27/human beta-2-microglobulin transgenic rat lines
- Fert I, Glatigny S, Poulain C, Satumtira N, Dorris ML, Taurog JD, Breban M Arthritis & Rheumatism 2008 56 3425-3429
- The mystery of HLA-B27: if it isn’t one thing, it’s another (editorial)
- Taurog JD Arthritis & Rheumatism 2007 56 2478-81
- Additional human beta-2-microglobulin curbs HLA-B27 misfolding and promotes arthritis and spondylitis without colitis in male HLA-B27-transgenic rats
- Tran TM, Dorris ML, Satumtira N, Richardson JA, Hammer RE, Shang J, Taurog JD Arthritis & Rheumatism 2006 54 1317-1327
- HLA-B27 in transgenic rats forms disulfide-linked heavy chain oligomers and multimers that bind to the chaperone BiP
- Tran T, Satumtira N, Dorris ML, May E, Wang A, Furuta E, Taurog JD Journal of Immunology 2004 172 5110-5119
Honors & Awards
- Master of the American College of Rheumatology
- Glenn Clark Lectureship
University of Tennessee, Memphis (2008)
- William M. & Gatha Burnett Professorship for Arthritis Research
UT Southwestern Medical Center (1997)
- Kroc Lectureship
University of Michigan (1993)
- Carol-Nachman Prize for Rheumatology
State Capital of Wiesbaden, Germany (1992)
- Rheumatologist of the Year
Abstract Rhumato (French Journal) (1991)
- American Association of Immunologists
- American College of Rheumatology
- American Society for Clinical Investigation