Dr. Zhou is the Dr. Charles T Ashworth Professor of Pathology and the Director of Anatomic Pathology in the Department of Pathology. He graduated summa cum laude from Fudan University Medical School in Shanghai, China. He completed his pathology residency training at the University of Michigan and a fellowship in the Urological and Kidney Diseases at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Before moving to UTSW, he was a professor of pathology and urology and the Director of Surgical Pathology at New York University in New York City.
He has devoted his clinical and research effort to diagnostic urological pathology, and discovery and validation of tumor markers for urological malignancy. He has authored over 160 research articles and numerous book chapters, and is the editor of 4 textbooks of urological and prostate pathology. He serves on the Cancer Committee of the College of American Pathologists and is the primary author of the genitourinary cancer protocols, the guidelines for practicing pathologists on diagnosis and reporting genitourinary cancers. He is the treasurer of the International Society of Urological Pathology. He also serves on the editorial board of several pathology journals, including Modern Pathology and Pathology International.
- Medical School
- Fudan University Medical School, China (1989)
- Graduate School
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (1997), Molecular Genetics
- The University of Michigan Hospitals (2001), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- The University of Michigan Hospitals (2002), Surgical Pathology
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (2003), Urologic Pathology
- Discovery and validation of tumor markers for genitourinary malignancies.
Improvements in the diagnostic and grading accuracy.
- Incidence of intraductal carcinoma, multifocality and bilateral significant disease in radical prostatectomy specimens from Japan and United States.
- Peng YC, Tsuzuki T, Kong MX, Li J, Deng FM, Melamed J, Zhou M Pathol. Int. 2016 Dec 66 12 672-677
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitor sunitinib targets the vasculature of clear cell renal cell carcinoma: a morphometrical study of treatment effect
- Lu Chen, Longwen Chen, Jie Huang, Danfeng Xu, Linhui Wang, Ming Zhou Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2016 3 2016;9 3571-3578
- Diagnosis of "Poorly Formed Glands" Gleason Pattern 4 Prostatic Adenocarcinoma on Needle Biopsy: An Interobserver Reproducibility Study Among Urologic Pathologists With Recommendations.
- Zhou M, Li J, Cheng L, Egevad L, Deng FM, Kunju LP, Magi-Galluzzi C, Melamed J, Mehra R, Mendrinos S, Osunkoya AO, Paner G, Shen SS, Tsuzuki T, Trpkov K, Tian W, Yang X, Shah RB Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2015 Oct 39 10 1331-9
- Diagnosis of Gleason Pattern 5 Prostate Adenocarcinoma on Core Needle Biopsy: An Interobserver Reproducibility Study Among Urologic Pathologists.
- Shah RB, Li J, Cheng L, Egevad L, Deng FM, Fine SW, Kunju LP, Melamed J, Mehra R, Osunkoya AO, Paner GP, Shen SS, Tsuzuki T, Trpkov K, Tian W, Yang XJ, Zhou M Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2015 Sep 39 9 1242-9
- A 16-gene assay to predict recurrence after surgery in localised renal cell carcinoma: development and validation studies.
- Rini B, Goddard A, Knezevic D, Maddala T, Zhou M, Aydin H, Campbell S, Elson P, Koscielny S, Lopatin M, Svedman C, Martini JF, Williams JA, Verkarre V, Radulescu C, Neuzillet Y, Hemmerlé I, Timsit MO, Tsiatis AC, Bonham M, Lebret T, Mejean A, Escudier B Lancet Oncol. 2015 Jun 16 6 676-85
- Re-evaluating the concept of "dominant/index tumor nodule" in multifocal prostate cancer.
- Huang CC, Deng FM, Kong MX, Ren Q, Melamed J, Zhou M Virchows Arch. 2014 Mar
- Differential diagnosis of renal tumors with tubulopapillary architecture in children and young adults: a case report and review of literature.
- Chen L, Deng FM, Melamed J, Zhou M Am J Clin Exp Urol 2014 2 3 266-72
- Lymphomas and lymphoproliferative disorders clinically presenting as renal carcinoma: a clinicopathological study of 14 cases.
- Chen L, Richendollar B, Bunting S, Campbell S, Zhou M Pathology 2013 Dec 45 7 657-63
- Incidence and clinicopathological characteristics of intraductal carcinoma detected in prostate biopsies: a prospective cohort study.
- Watts K, Li J, Magi-Galluzzi C, Zhou M Histopathology 2013 Oct 63 4 574-9
- The diagnostic use of ERG in resolving an "atypical glands suspicious for cancer" diagnosis in prostate biopsies beyond that provided by basal cell and a-methylacyl-CoA-racemase markers.
- Shah RB, Tadros Y, Brummell B, Zhou M Hum. Pathol. 2013 May 44 5 786-94
Genitourinary Pathology, a Volume in the series Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology, 2nd edition
Zhou M and Magi-Galluzzi C, Elsevier (Ed.) (2015). Philadelphia, PA, Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier
Zhou, M and Magi-Galluzzi, C (Ed.) (2007). Philadelphia, PA, Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier
Prostate Biopsy Interpretation: An Illustrated Guide
Shah R and Zhou M (Ed.) (2011). Berlin Heidelberg, Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Uropathology A Volume in the High Yield Pathology Series
Ming Zhou, George Netto, Jonathan I Epstein (Ed.) (2012). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier Health Sciences
Honors & Awards
- Young Investigators Award, Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
- Autopsy Award, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Stowell-Orbison Award, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- M.R. Abell House Officer Award, Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical Center
- Outstanding Resident in Clinical Pathology, Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical Center
- Rong-Lin Award, Fudan University School of Medicine
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists
- College of American Pathologists
- International Society of Urological Pathology
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology