In November 2016, Dr. Kirk joined the Pediatric Cardiology faculty at UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center. He trained at Cambridge University and Guy's Hospital in London, and received specialized training in pediatric cardiology at Harefield Hospital and Freeman Hospital in the UK, Boston Children's Hospital and the Children's Hospital at University of California San Francisco in the US, and at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne. Dr. Kirk has 25 years of experience at consultant level in the non-invasive and invasive management of all aspects of congenital cardiac disease. His special interests are heart failure, transplantation, utilizing IT to improve patient care, and developing educational material for trainees and lay people.
- Heart failure
- An Extended Role of Continuous Flow Device in Pediatric Mechanical Circulatory Support.
- Peng E, Kirk R, Wrightson N, Duong P, Ferguson L, Griselli M, Butt T, O'Sullivan JJ, MacGowan GA, Crossland D, Schueler S, Hasan A Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2016 Aug 102 2 620-7
- Successful HeartWare Bridge to Recovery in a 3-Year Old: A Game Changer?
- Kirk R, Peng E, Woods A, Flett J, Hewitt T, Griselli M, Schueler S, Wrightson N, Hasan A Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2016 May 101 5 1984-7
- A multicenter study of the HeartWare ventricular assist device in small children.
- Miera O, Kirk R, Buchholz H, Schmitt KR, VanderPluym C, Rebeyka IM, Wrightson N, Berger F, Griselli M, Conway J J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 May 35 5 679-81
- The 2016 International Society for Heart Lung Transplantation listing criteria for heart transplantation: A 10-year update.
- Mehra MR, Canter CE, Hannan MM, Semigran MJ, Uber PA, Baran DA, Danziger-Isakov L, Kirklin JK, Kirk R, Kushwaha SS, Lund LH, Potena L, Ross HJ, Taylor DO, Verschuuren EA, Zuckermann A J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Jan 35 1 1-23
- Fontan-associated liver disease: Implications for heart transplantation.
- Greenway SC, Crossland DS, Hudson M, Martin SR, Myers RP, Prieur T, Hasan A, Kirk R J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Jan 35 1 26-33
- Outcome of mechanical cardiac support in children using more than one modality as a bridge to heart transplantation.
- De Rita F, Hasan A, Haynes S, Peng E, Gandolfo F, Ferguson L, Kirk R, Smith J, Griselli M Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2015 Dec 48 6 917-22; discussion 922
- The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Registries in the Era of Big Data With Global Reach.
- Stehlik J, Mehra MR, Sweet SC, Kirklin JK, Cypel M, Kirk R, Dipchand AI, Van Raemdonck D, Edwards LB, Mario Bertolotti A, Mejia JC, Torres Navas A, Potena L, Akar R, West LJ, Zuckermann A, Khaliel F, Davis DR, Reichenspurner H J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2015 Oct 34 10 1225-32
- Effect of persistent versus transient donor-specific HLA antibodies on graft outcomes in pediatric cardiac transplantation.
- Irving CA, Carter V, Gennery AR, Parry G, Griselli M, Hasan A, Kirk CR J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2015 Oct 34 10 1310-7
- ABO-incompatible cardiac transplantation in pediatric patients with high isohemagglutinin titers.
- Irving CA, Gennery AR, Carter V, Wallis JP, Hasan A, Griselli M, Kirk R J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2015 Aug 34 8 1095-102
- Predicting graft loss by 1 year in pediatric heart transplantation candidates: an analysis of the Pediatric Heart Transplant Study database.
- Schumacher KR, Almond C, Singh TP, Kirk R, Spicer R, Hoffman TM, Hsu D, Naftel DC, Pruitt E, Zamberlan M, Canter CE, Gajarski RJ Circulation 2015 Mar 131 10 890-8
ISHLT Guidelines for the Management of Pediatric Heart Failure
Kirk R, Dipchand A, Rosenthal D. (Ed.) (2014). UAB Printing.
- Association of European Paediatric Cardiologists
- British Cardiac Society
- British Congenital Cardiac Association
- International Pediatric Transplant Association
- International Society of Heart Lung Transplantation
- Royal College of Paediatricians and Child Health
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal College of Surgeons
- The Transplantation Society