Dr. Link grew up in South Dakota, but has spent much of his life on the East Coast in Boston, New York and Washington DC. After Tufts Medical School he was a resident at Columbia University, then completed fellowships in Cardiology and Cardiac Electrophysiology at Tufts. After military service with the Air Force, he spent the next 23 years at Tuft Medical Center. In 2016 he joined UTSouthwestern’s Cardiac Electrophysiology Division. Dr. Link brings to UTSW his extensive experience in care of patients with arrhythmias, sudden cardiac death, defibrillators, pacemakers, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and other genetic diseases. His clinical practice focuses on improving quality of life of patients with arrhythmias including atrial fibrillation, flutter and other SVTs, and preventing sudden death.
He is on multiple American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology Guidelines Writing Committees, including Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Eligibility and Disqualification Recommendations for Competitive Athletes with Cardiovascular Abnormalities, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, and Syncope.
His personal interests include bicycling, gardening, art, and collecting exciting neckties.
- Medical School
- Tufts University (1986), Medicine
Cardiac Ablation Procedures
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)
- Ventricular Tachycardia Ablation
Genetic Disorders - Familial Arrhythmias
- Brugada Syndrome
- Catecholaminergic Polmorphic Ventricular Tachycardia (CPVT)
- Genetic Testing for Inherited Arrhythmia Disorders
- Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
- Long QT Syndrome
- Prevention & Treatment of Inherited Arrhythmia Disorders
- Short QT Syndrome
Heart Rhythm Treatment/Electrophysiology
- Advanced Mapping of Rhythm Disorders
- Arrhythmias in Congenital Heart Disease
- Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy
- Athletes & Arrhythmias
- Atrial Fibrillation & Flutter
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT)
- Causes and Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation & Atrial Flutter
- Device Therapy for Monitoring & Treatment of Heart Failure
- Fluoroscopy Reduction
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (ICD)
- Implantable Loop Recorders
- Medical Management of Arrhythmia Patients
- Pacemaker/ICD Lead Extraction
- Premature Beats
- Subcutaneous ICD
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest/Death
- Supraventricular Arrhythmias
- Syncope (Fainting)
- Tachycardia - Supraventricular (SVT) & Paroxysmal Supraventricular (PSVT)
- Ventricular Arrhythmias
- Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome
- Air Pollution and Arrhythmias
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Sudden Cardiac Death
- Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation: Patient Selection, Periprocedural Anticoagulation, Techniques, and Preventive Measures After Ablation.
- Link MS, Haïssaguerre M, Natale A Circulation 2016 Jul 134 4 339-52
- Subcutaneous Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator in Patients With Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: An Initial Experience.
- Weinstock J, Bader YH, Maron MS, Rowin EJ, Link MS J Am Heart Assoc 2016 Feb 5 2
- Eligibility and Disqualification Recommendations for Competitive Athletes With Cardiovascular Abnormalities: Task Force 3: Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy and Other Cardiomyopathies, and Myocarditis: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology.
- Maron BJ, Udelson JE, Bonow RO, Nishimura RA, Ackerman MJ, Estes NA, Cooper LT, Link MS, Maron MS Circulation 2015 Dec 132 22 e273-80
- Part 7: Adult Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support: 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.
- Link MS, Berkow LC, Kudenchuk PJ, Halperin HR, Hess EP, Moitra VK, Neumar RW, O'Neil BJ, Paxton JH, Silvers SM, White RD, Yannopoulos D, Donnino MW Circulation 2015 Nov 132 18 Suppl 2 S444-64
- Treatment of Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy/Dysplasia: An International Task Force Consensus Statement.
- Corrado D, Wichter T, Link MS, Hauer RN, Marchlinski FE, Anastasakis A, Bauce B, Basso C, Brunckhorst C, Tsatsopoulou A, Tandri H, Paul M, Schmied C, Pelliccia A, Duru F, Protonotarios N, Estes NM, McKenna WJ, Thiene G, Marcus FI, Calkins H Circulation 2015 Aug 132 5 441-53
- Acute exposure to air pollution triggers atrial fibrillation.
- Link MS, Luttmann-Gibson H, Schwartz J, Mittleman MA, Wessler B, Gold DR, Dockery DW, Laden F J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 Aug 62 9 816-25
- Safety of sports for athletes with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: results of a prospective, multinational registry.
- Lampert R, Olshansky B, Heidbuchel H, Lawless C, Saarel E, Ackerman M, Calkins H, Estes NA, Link MS, Maron BJ, Marcus F, Scheinman M, Wilkoff BL, Zipes DP, Berul CI, Cheng A, Law I, Loomis M, Barth C, Brandt C, Dziura J, Li F, Cannom D Circulation 2013 May 127 20 2021-30
- Prevention of sudden cardiac death with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators in children and adolescents with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- Maron BJ, Spirito P, Ackerman MJ, Casey SA, Semsarian C, Estes NA, Shannon KM, Ashley EA, Day SM, Pacileo G, Formisano F, Devoto E, Anastasakis A, Bos JM, Woo A, Autore C, Pass RH, Boriani G, Garberich RF, Almquist AK, Russell MW, Boni L, Berger S, Maron MS, Link MS J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 Apr 61 14 1527-35
- Clinical practice. Evaluation and initial treatment of supraventricular tachycardia.
- Link MS N. Engl. J. Med. 2012 Oct 367 15 1438-48
- 2012 ACCF/AHA/HRS Focused Update of the 2008 Guidelines for Device-Based Therapy of Cardiac Rhythm Abnormalities: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.
- Tracy CM, Epstein AE, Darbar D, Dimarco JP, Dunbar SB, Estes NA, Ferguson TB, Hammill SC, Karasik PE, Link MS, Marine JE, Schoenfeld MH, Shanker AJ, Silka MJ, Stevenson LW, Stevenson WG, Varosy PD Heart Rhythm 2012 Oct 9 10 1737-53
Atrial and Ventricular Arrhythmias in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. In Arrhythmias in Cardiomyopathies
Kumar KR, Mandleywala SN, Link MS (2015).
Pathophysiology, Prevention, and Treatment of Commotio Cordis. In Current Cardiology Reports
Link MS (2014).
Implantable defibrillators in Long QT Syndrome, Brugada Syndrome, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, and Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy. In Cardiology Clinics - Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
Dohadwala M, Link MS (2014).
Sudden Cardiac Deaths in Athletes, Including Commotio Cordis. In Clinical Electrophysiology
Link MS, Ester NAM (2014).
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Alumni Award
Dordt College (2012)
- Hall of Fame Award
Lincoln High School (2012)
- Best Doctors in Boston
- Finalist - Young Investigator's Award - Commotio Cordis
47th Annual American College of Cardiology Sessions (1998)
- Meritorious Service Medal
U.S. Air Force (1993)
- American Heart Association (1995)
- Heart Rhythm Society (1995)
- American College of Cardiology (1993)