Dr. Suris, a Board Certified Clinical Psychologist [ABPP], is the Chief of Psychology at the VA North Texas Health Care System in Dallas, and an Associate Professor of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She has extensive experience in the assessment and treatment of veterans with PTSD and other psychiatric disorders through her clinical work and conducts funded research studies at the Dallas VA Medical Center.
Dr. Suris has worked as a clinician/researcher on multiple research projects, beginning with a small grant from NIMH to study treatment for women veterans with sexual trauma. She has received two NARSAD Young Investigator awards, funding from the National Institute of Health (NIMH) for pilot work in PTSD, Blue Gator funding (private foundation) for novel interventions for PTSD, as well as VA funding (Merit Reviews, Young Investigator Veterans Service Integrated Network 17 (VISN 17) funding, and VISN 17 funding).
She is interested in finding ways to reduce illness burden and increase the quality of life for people with PTSD from multiple sources (combat, sexual trauma, etc.) by examining the most effective treatments for PTSD, whether by testing existing evidence-based treatments in new populations or creating/examining novel interventions to augment existing treatments. She has received recognition and numerous awards including two nominations for teacher of the year by UT Southwestern psychiatry students; she was named outstanding researcher by the VA section of Psychologists in Public Service of the American Psychological Association; and she has twice received the Outstanding Woman Award for Leadership at the Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Also, Dr. Suris has received notable honors including: the Gerald R. Klerman NARSAD Young Investigator Award, an award given for outstanding clinical research achievement by a NARSAD Young Investigator and the George Winokur Award, an award recognizing excellence in contribution to the literature of the Annals of Clinical Psychology.
|Graduate School||University of Houston (1987)|
|Graduate School||University of Houston (1991)|
- Mental health and functional outcome measures
- Novel interventions for PTSD
- Women's mental health issues and treatment
- A Randomized Clinical Trial of Cognitive Processing Therapy for Veterans with PTSD Related to Military Sexual Trauma
- Surís, A., Link-Malcolm, J., Chard, K., Ahn, C., & North, C.S. Journal of Traumatic Stress 2013 26 1-10
- Interfering with the Reconsolidation of Traumatic Memory: Sirolimus as a Novel agent for Treating Veterans with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
- Surís, A., Smith, J., Powell, C. & North, C. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry 2013 1 25 33-40
- Predictors of Suicidal Ideation in Veterans with PTSD Related to Military Sexual Trauma.
- Surís, A., Link-Malcolm, J., North, C. Journal of Traumatic Stress 2011 5 24 605-608
- Diagnostic challenges of combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Surís, A. & North, C.S. Psychiatric Annals 2011 41 391-395
- PTSD related to sexual trauma in the military.
- Suris, A. & Smith, J. Handbook for the Treatment of PTSD in Military Personnel 2011
- Effects of exogenous Glucocorticoid on combat-related PTSD symptoms.
- Suris, A., North, C.S., Adinoff, B., Powell, C.M. & Greene, R. Annals of Clinical Pyshciatry 2010 4 22
- Military Sexual Trauma: Review of prevalence and associated health consequences in women veterans.
- Suris, A., Lind, L. Trauma, Violence, and Abuse: A Review Journal 2008 9 250-269
- Aggression Assessment Instruments.
- Suris, A. & Cuccaro, E. Handbook of Psychiatric Measures 2008
- Mental health, quality of life, and health functioning: Differential outcomes associated with sexual assault in women veterans.
- Suris, A., Lind, L., Kashner, T.M., & Borman, P.D. Journal of Interpersonal Violence 2007 22(2) 179-197
- Comorbidity of PTSD.
- North, C., Suris, A., & Adiwyui, S. Clinical Manual for the Management of PTSD 2011
Honors & Awards
- George Winokur Award, An award given by the American Academy of Clinical Psychiatrists for a 2010 article published in the Annals of Clinical Psychiatry
- Gerald R. Klerman NARSAD Young Investigator Award. An award given for outstanding clinical research achievement by a NARSAD Young Investigator.
- Outstanding Woman Award for Leadership, Federal Women’s Program, Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Outstanding Researcher by the Department of Veterans Affairs Section of the Division of Psychologists in Public Service (Division 18) of the American Psychological Association
- Member, American Board of Professional Psychology
- Member, American Psychological Association, Division 18
- Member, Association of VA Psychologist Leaders (AVAPL)