Dr. Busti came to the Department of Emergency Medicine in July 2016 from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He has a unique background as a healthcare provider and medical educator in that he is a nurse, clinical pharmacist, practicing physician, and a medical educator. He obtained his Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Texas. He then went on to complete a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center while he worked as a nurse in a level 1 surgical trauma ICU and emergency department. Upon completion of his PharmD, he completed a post-doctoral pharmacy residency at the University of Texas at Austin and Scott & White Hospital and then went on to teach clinical pharmacology and conducted clinical research at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in Dallas, Texas and in the NIH Clinical Scholars program at UT Southwestern. During this time, he also served as Chairman to the State of Texas Drug Utilization Review Board (2005 - 2009), a Governor appointed member to the State of Texas P&T Committee (2003 – 2009), taught clinical pharmacology at both Baylor University and Texas Woman's University, and founded 2 medical education companies that now provide medical education to health care providers worldwide. In 2012, he then obtained his Doctor of Medicine degree (MD) at Texas A&M College of Medicine and post-graduate training in Emergency Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. He is currently working on a MSc in Evidenced-Based Health Care at Oxford University in the UK and is actively engaged in medical education. His primary interests are in evidence-based medicine and medical education.
- University of the Incarnate Wo (1996), Nursing
- Graduate School
- Texas Tech U Health Sciences C (2001), Pharmacy
- Medical School
- Texas A&M University (2012), Medicine
- Graduate School
- University of Oxford (2015), Science
- Short-term ezetimibe is well tolerated and effective in combination with statin therapy to treat elevated LDL cholesterol in HIV-infected patients.
- Chow D, Chen H, Glesby MJ, Busti A, Souza S, Andersen J, Kohrs S, Wu J, Koletar SL AIDS 2009 Oct 23 16 2133-41
- Combination thiazolidinedione and fibrate effect on high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) concentration in a Veterans Affairs patient population.
- Alvarez CA, Russell NM, Edwards KL, Greene RS, Chastain LM, Weideman RA, Busti AJ J Clin Lipidol 2008 Dec 2 6 447-52
- Acute elevation of triglycerides after initiation of fosamprinavir/ritonavir in an HIV-negative patient with baseline hypertriglyceridemia.
- Nguyen ST, Bain AM, Bedimo RG, Hall RG, Busti AJ J Clin Lipidol 2008 Oct 2 5 398-400
- A multimodal, evidence-based approach to achieve lipid targets in the treatment of antiretroviral-associated dyslipidemia: case report and review of the literature.
- Bain AM, White EA, Rutherford WS, Rahman AP, Busti AJ Pharmacotherapy 2008 Jul 28 7 932-8
- Safety and efficacy of simvastatin for the treatment of dyslipidemia in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients receiving efavirenz-based highly active antiretroviral therapy.
- Rahman AP, Eaton SA, Nguyen ST, Bain AM, Payne KD, Bedimo R, Busti AJ Pharmacotherapy 2008 Jul 28 7 913-9
- Multicenter evaluation of vancomycin dosing: emphasis on obesity.
- Hall RG, Payne KD, Bain AM, Rahman AP, Nguyen ST, Eaton SA, Busti AJ, Vu SL, Bedimo R Am. J. Med. 2008 Jun 121 6 515-8
- Effects of atazanavir/ritonavir or fosamprenavir/ritonavir on the pharmacokinetics of rosuvastatin.
- Busti AJ, Bain AM, Hall RG, Bedimo RG, Leff RD, Meek C, Mehvar R J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 2008 Jun 51 6 605-10
- Lipid-lowering efficacy and safety after switching to atazanavir-ritonavir-based highly active antiretroviral therapy in patients with human immunodeficiency virus.
- Nguyen ST, Eaton SA, Bain AM, Rahman AP, Payne KD, Bedimo R, Herrington JD, Maclayton DO, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Busti AJ Pharmacotherapy 2008 Mar 28 3 323-30
- Improvement in insulin sensitivity and dyslipidemia in protease inhibitor-treated adult male patients after switch to atazanavir/ritonavir.
- Busti AJ, Bedimo R, Margolis DM, Hardin DS J. Investig. Med. 2008 Feb 56 2 539-44
- A retrospective study of the lipid-lowering efficacy and safety of ezetimibe added to hydroxy methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase therapy in HIV-infected patients with hyperlipidemia.
- Chastain LM, Bain AM, Edwards KL, Bedimo R, Busti AJ J Clin Lipidol 2007 Dec 1 6 634-9
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support Drugs and Electrical Therapy. In Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers
Hazinski MF, Cummins RO, Field JM, eds. Busti AJ (Contributing Author & Editor) (Ed.) (2004). Dallas, TX, American Heart Association
Advanced Cardiac Life Support Provider Manual for Professionals.
Field JM, Gilmore D, Hazinski MF, eds. Busti AJ (Contributing Author & Editor) (Ed.) (2006). Dallas, TX, American Heart Association
Pediatric Advanced Life Support. Course Guide for Professionals.
Ralston M, Hazinski MF, Zaritsky AL, Schexayder SM, Kleinman ME, eds. (Ed.) (2006). Dallas, TX, American Heart Association
Module 2 Lipid-Altering Drug Pharmacology and Safety.. In National Lipid Association Self-Study Module
Davidson MH, Busti AJ, Cziraky MJ. (2007). Jacksonville, FL, National Lipid Association
The Textbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care and CPR.
Field JM, Bresler MJ, Kudenchuk PJ, Mattu A, O?Connor R, Silvers SM, VandenHoek T. (Ed.) (2008). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Teaching Society of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Johns Hopkins Resident Teacher of the Year Award
Department of Emergency Medicine (2015-2016)
- Fellow, National Lipid Association (FNLA)
- Fellow, American Heart Association (FAHA)
- Distinguished Alumni Award for Excellence in Research
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy (2007-2008)
- Chairman, State of Texas Drug Utilization Review Board (DUR Board)
State of Texas Health and Human Services Commission (2005-2009)
- Teacher of the Year Award
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (2005-2006)
- Governor Appointed Member, State of Texas Pharmaceutical and Therapeutics Committee
Appointed by Governor Perry (2003-2009)
- Rho Chi Honor Society
- American College of Emergency Medicine (ACEP) (2011)
- American Heart Association (AHA) (2007)
- National Lipid Association (NLA) (2006)