Dr. Ryan Butts graduated from the College of Charleston with a degree in Economics and Biology. He was awarded his M.D. from the Medical University of South Carolina in 2005, and completed his Pediatrics residency in Houston at Texas Children’s Hospital. He returned to South Carolina for his Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship, where he was on faculty from 2011 until 2016.
- Medical School
- Medical University of South Carolina (2005)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Pediatrics
- Medical University of South Carolina (2011), Pediatric Cardiology
- Heart failure in single ventricle patients
- Outcomes after pediatric heart transplantation
- Pediatric heart failure
- Echocardiographic Detection of Increased Ventricular Diastolic Stiffness in Pediatric Heart Transplant Recipients: A Pilot Study.
- Chowdhury SM, Butts RJ, Hlavacek AM, Taylor CL, Chessa KS, Bandisode VM, Shirali GS, Nutting A, Baker GH J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2017 Dec
- A preliminary comparison of two-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiography and pressure-volume loop analysis in patients with Fontan physiology: The role of ventricular morphology.
- Steflik D, Butts RJ, Baker GH, Bandisode V, Savage A, Atz AM, Chowdhury SM Echocardiography 2017 Jul
- Effects of persistent Fontan fenestration patency on cardiopulmonary exercise testing variables.
- Heal ME, Jackson LB, Atz AM, Butts RJ Congenit Heart Dis 2017 Jun
- Characteristics of Clinically Diagnosed Pediatric Myocarditis in a Contemporary Multi-Center Cohort.
- Butts RJ, Boyle GJ, Deshpande SR, Gambetta K, Knecht KR, Prada-Ruiz CA, Richmond ME, West SC, Lal AK Pediatr Cardiol 2017 May
- Autoimmune enteropathy and hepatitis in pediatric heart transplant recipient.
- Lewis K, Butts R, Antonio Quiros J, Hudspeth M, Twombley K, Savage A, Self S, Burnette A, Sun S Pediatr Transplant 2017 Jan
- Decline in ventricular function as a result of general anesthesia in pediatric heart transplant recipients.
- Elhoff JJ, Chowdhury SM, Taylor CL, Hassid M, Savage AJ, Atz AM, Butts RJ Pediatr Transplant 2016 Oct
- Validation of Noninvasive Measures of Left Ventricular Mechanics in Children: A Simultaneous Echocardiographic and Conductance Catheterization Study.
- Chowdhury SM, Butts RJ, Taylor CL, Bandisode VM, Chessa KS, Hlavacek AM, Shirali GS, Baker GH J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016 Jul 29 7 640-7
- Effect of Induction Therapy on Graft Survival in Primary Pediatric Heart Transplantation: A Propensity Score Analysis of the UNOS Database.
- Butts R, Davis M, Savage A, Burnette A, Kavarana M, Bradley S, Atz A, Nietert PJ Transplantation 2016 Jun
- A multi-institutional evaluation of antibody-mediated rejection utilizing the Pediatric Heart Transplant Study database: Incidence, therapies and outcomes.
- Thrush PT, Pahl E, Naftel DC, Pruitt E, Everitt MD, Missler H, Zangwill S, Burch M, Hoffman TM, Butts R, Mahle WT J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Jun
- Adverse events in children implanted with ventricular assist devices in the United States: Data from the Pediatric Interagency Registry for Mechanical Circulatory Support (PediMACS).
- Rosenthal DN, Almond CS, Jaquiss RD, Peyton CE, Auerbach SR, Morales DR, Epstein DJ, Cantor RS, Kormos RL, Naftel DC, Butts RJ, Ghanayem NS, Kirklin JK, Blume ED J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 May 35 5 569-77
Retransplantation of the Pediatric Heart Recipient. In In: Stephen Dunn and Simon Horslen eds. Organ and Tissue Transplantation: Solid Organ Transplantation in Infants and Children
3. Kirk CR, Butts RJ (2017). Springer International Publishing
Standard Monitoring Techniques in the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. In da Cruz E, Ivy D, Jaggers J, eds. Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery and Intensive Care.
Butts RJ, Do TB, Atz AM. (2014). Springer-Verlag London; 821-834.
Honors & Awards
- Mitchell I. Rubin Research Award
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina (2016)
- AHA CVDY Early Career Investigator Finalist
- Nominated for Golden Apple Teaching Award
MUSC Childrens Hospital (2013)
- American Heart Association
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplant
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society