Dr. Ryan Butts graduated from the College of Charleston with a degree in Economics and Biology. He was awarded his M.D. from the Medical University of South Carolina in 2005, and completed his Pediatrics residency in Houston at Texas Children’s Hospital. He returned to South Carolina for his Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship, where he was on faculty from 2011 until 2016.
- Medical School
- Medical University of South Carolina (2005)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008), Pediatrics
- Medical University of South Carolina (2011), Pediatric Cardiology
- Heart failure in single ventricle patients
- Outcomes after pediatric heart transplantation
- Pediatric heart failure
- Effect of Induction Therapy on Graft Survival in Primary Pediatric Heart Transplantation: A Propensity Score Analysis of the UNOS Database.
- Butts R, Davis M, Savage A, Burnette A, Kavarana M, Bradley S, Atz A, Nietert PJ Transplantation 2016 Jun
- A multi-institutional evaluation of antibody-mediated rejection utilizing the Pediatric Heart Transplant Study database: Incidence, therapies and outcomes.
- Thrush PT, Pahl E, Naftel DC, Pruitt E, Everitt MD, Missler H, Zangwill S, Burch M, Hoffman TM, Butts R, Mahle WT J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Jun
- Adverse events in children implanted with ventricular assist devices in the United States: Data from the Pediatric Interagency Registry for Mechanical Circulatory Support (PediMACS).
- Rosenthal DN, Almond CS, Jaquiss RD, Peyton CE, Auerbach SR, Morales DR, Epstein DJ, Cantor RS, Kormos RL, Naftel DC, Butts RJ, Ghanayem NS, Kirklin JK, Blume ED J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 May 35 5 569-77
- Statin therapy is not associated with improved outcomes after heart transplantation in children and adolescents.
- Greenway SC, Butts R, Naftel DC, Pruitt E, Kirklin JK, Larsen I, Urschel S, Knecht K, Law Y J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2016 Apr 35 4 457-65
- Effect of Sildenafil on Pressure-Volume Loop Measures of Ventricular Function in Fontan Patients.
- Butts RJ, Chowdhury SM, Baker GH, Bandisode V, Savage AJ, Atz AM Pediatr Cardiol 2016 Jan 37 1 184-91
- Validation of a Simple Score to Determine Risk of Early Rejection After Pediatric Heart Transplantation.
- Butts RJ, Savage AJ, Atz AM, Heal EM, Burnette AL, Kavarana MM, Bradley SM, Chowdhury SM JACC Heart Fail 2015 Sep 3 9 670-6
- Estimating equations for cardiopulmonary exercise testing variables in Fontan patients: derivation and validation using a multicenter cross-sectional database.
- Butts RJ, Spencer CT, Jackson L, Heal ME, Forbus G, Hulsey TC, Atz AM Pediatr Cardiol 2015 Feb 36 2 393-401
- Comparison of echocardiographic and pressure-volume loop indices of systolic function in patients with single ventricle physiology: a preliminary report.
- Butts RJ, Chowdhury SM, Buckley J, Hlavacek AM, Hsia TY, Khambadkone S, Baker GH Congenit Heart Dis 2015 Jan-Feb 10 1 E17-24
- Effect of human leukocyte antigen-C and -DQ matching on pediatric heart transplant graft survival.
- Butts RJ, Savage AJ, Nietert PJ, Kavarana M, Moussa O, Burnette AL, Atz AM J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2014 Dec 33 12 1282-7
- Comparison of pressure-volume loop and echocardiographic measures of diastolic function in patients with a single-ventricle physiology.
- Chowdhury SM, Butts RJ, Buckley J, Hlavacek AM, Hsia TY, Khambadkone S, Baker GH Pediatr Cardiol 2014 Aug 35 6 998-1006
Standard Monitoring Techniques in the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. In da Cruz E, Ivy D, Jaggers J, eds. Pediatric and Congenital Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery and Intensive Care.
Butts RJ, Do TB, Atz AM. (2014). Springer-Verlag London; 821-834.
Honors & Awards
- Mitchell I. Rubin Research Award
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina (2016)
- AHA CVDY Early Career Investigator Finalist
- Nominated for Golden Apple Teaching Award
MUSC Childrens Hospital (2013)
- American Heart Association
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplant
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society