My fields of interest include clinical microbiology-related epidemiology, the evaluation of new diagnostic methods in clinical microbiology, the evaluation of new antimicrobial agents in vitro, and tropical infectious diseases, especially Chagas’ disease, neurocysticercosis, as well as traveler’s health.
|Medical School||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1959)|
|Internship||Parkland Health and Hospital System (1960), Medicine|
|Residency||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1962), Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1963), Infectious Disease|
|Fellowship||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1969), Infectious Disease|
|Medical School||London School of Hygiene & Tropical Med (1993)|
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Diagnostic methods in clinical microbiology
- Epidemiology of Chagas Disease in Belize
- Neurocysticercosis in North America
- Prevalence of antibody to Trypanosoma cruzi in the human population of the Toledo District of Belize.
- Southern PM, Am J Trop Med Hgy 2004 2004 (3rd revision)
- Does examination of urinary sediment identify individuals with Gulf War Syndrome?
- Southern PM, et al Am J Med Sci 1998 315 225-229
- Relapsing fever: a clinical and microbiological review.
- Southern PM and Sanford JP Medicine 1969 48 129-149
- Gram-negative bacillary necrotizing pneumonia: a bacteriologic and histopathologic correlation.
- Mays BB, et al. J Infect Dis 1969 120 687-697
- Neurocysticercosis: Neglected but not Forgotten
- Coyle CM, Mahanty S, Zunt JR, Wallin MT, White Jr AC, O'Neal S, Serpa JA, Southern PM, Wilkins P, McCarthy A, Higgs ES, Nash TE PLoS NTD 2012
- Prevalence of antibody to Trypanosoma cruzi in Hispanic surnamed patients at Parkland Health and Hospital System
- Arena R, Matthews CE, Kim AY, Lenz TE, Southern PM BMC Research Notes 2011 4 132-137
- Archeology meets clinical microbiology: Microbial content of soils from Italy and Belize
- Southern PM Lab Medicine 2008 39 601-2
- Cutaneous ulceration caused by Balamuthia mandrillaris leading to fatal amebic encephalitis.
- Pritzker A, et al. J Amer Acad Dermatol 2004 2004;50:538-44
- Case Report: Ophthalmomyiasis externa in Dallas County, Texas
- Sigauke, E, et al Am J Trop Med Hyg 2003 68 46-47
- Toxoplasma infection: making the best use of laboratory tests.
- Willis M., et al. Infections in Medicine 2002 19 522-532
Honors & Awards
- Secretary-Treasurer, ACCTMTH (Clinical section of American Society of Tropical Medicne and Hygiene)
National tropical diseases professional organization (2011)
- Kuwait University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Microbiology
Visiting Professor (1982)
- President and charter member
Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology (1982)
- President and charter member
Texas Infectious Diseases Society (1980)
- Visiting Professor
St. Thomas’s Hospital and Medical School, London (1980)
- President and cofounder
Texas Society for Clinical Microbiology (1973)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Honor Medical Society (1959)
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (1995)
- Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (1993)
- College of American Pathologists (1980)
- Texas Infectious Diseases Society (1980)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (1977)
- Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology (1975)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (1974)
- American Society for Microbiology (1967)