My fields of interest include clinical microbiology-related epidemiology, the evaluation of new diagnostic methods in clinical microbiology, the evaluation of new antimicrobial agents in vitro, and tropical infectious diseases, especially Chagas’ disease, neurocysticercosis, as well as traveler’s health.
|Medical School||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1959)|
|Internship||Parkland Health and Hospital System (1960), Medicine|
|Residency||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1962), Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1963), Infectious Disease|
|Fellowship||University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (1969), Infectious Disease|
|Medical School||London School of Hygiene & Tropical Med (1993)|
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Diagnostic methods in clinical microbiology
- Epidemiology of Chagas Disease in Belize
- Neurocysticercosis in North America
- First case reports of Ignatzschineria (Schineria) indica associated with myiasis.
- Barker HS, Snyder JW, Hicks AB, Yanoviak SP, Southern P, Dhakal BK, Ghimire GR, Couturier MR J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Dec 52 12 4432-4
- Detection of Intracellular Parasites Utilizing the CellaVision DM96 on Routine Screening of Peripheral Blood Smears.
- Racsa LD, Gander RM, Southern PM, McElvania TeKippe E, Doern C, Luu HS J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Nov
- Clinical features of West Nile virus epidemic in Dallas, Texas, 2012.
- Racsa L, Gander R, Chung W, Southern P, Le J, Beal S, Lee F, Cavuoti D, Reisch J, Alatoom A Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 2014 Feb 78 2 132-6
- Cost Avoidance and Outcome Improvement by Implementing a Test Utilization Strategy for Molecular Microbiology Tests
- Ricaldi J, Racsa L, Gander R, Southern P, Cavuoti D, Alatoom A. Clinical Microbiology Newsletter 2014 23 36 185-193
- Interpretation of positive molecular tests of common viruses in the cerebrospinal fluid.
- Bhaskaran A, Racsa L, Gander R, Southern P, Cavuoti D, Alatoom A Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 2013 Nov 77 3 236-40
- Prevalence of antibody to Trypanosoma cruzi in Hispanic-surnamed patients seen at Parkland Health & Hospital System, Dallas, Texas.
- Arena R, Mathews CE, Kim AY, Lenz TE, Southern PM BMC Res Notes 2011 4 132
Honors & Awards
- Secretary-Treasurer, ACCTMTH (Clinical section of American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene)
National tropical diseases professional organization (2011)
- Kuwait University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Microbiology
Visiting Professor (1982)
- President and charter member
Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology (1982)
- President and charter member
Texas Infectious Diseases Society (1980)
- Visiting Professor
St. Thomas’s Hospital and Medical School, London (1980)
- President and cofounder
Texas Society for Clinical Microbiology (1973)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Honor Medical Society (1959)
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (1995)
- Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (1993)
- College of American Pathologists (1980)
- Texas Infectious Diseases Society (1980)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (1977)
- Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology (1975)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (1974)
- American Society for Microbiology (1967)