Svetla Stoilova-McPhie graduated at the University of Sofia in Bulgaria with a Bachelor in Physical Chemistry and in Molecular and Functional Biology. She has completed a Master in Biophysics and Radiobiology from the same University and obtained a Doctoral degree in Physics from the Hungarian Academy of Science in 1991.
She has since carried out consecutive postdoctoral trainings in Cryo-electron microscopy and protein structure determination at the IGBMC, Strasbourg; Wadsworth Center, Albany, NY; the University of Leeds, Oxford and Warwick, UK, where she also served as a Cryo-EM facility manager for five years.
Since 1999 the focus of Dr. Stoilova-McPhie research has been to resolve the membrane-bound structure of blood coagulation factor VIII by Cryo-electron microscopy. She has been awarded a British Heart Foundation grant in 2004 and an American Heart National Scientist Development grant in 2010. She was appointed as Assistant Professor at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston in 2008 aftre hurricane Ike.
- The focus of my research is to resolve the structure of membrane-associated functional blood clotting proteins and complexes by cryo-electron microscopy in a close to native lipid bilayer environment and at near atomic resolution. To achieve that, we have developed several lipid nanotechnologies, such as lipid nanotubes and nanodiscs. The developed methodology can be applicable to other membrane-associated protein systems.
- Factor VIII organisation on nanodiscs with different lipid composition.
- Grushin K, Miller J, Dalm D, Stoilova-McPhie S Thromb. Haemost. 2015 Apr 113 4 741-9
- Dimeric Organization of Blood Coagulation Factor VIII bound to Lipid Nanotubes.
- Dalm D, Galaz-Montoya JG, Miller JL, Grushin K, Villalobos A, Koyfman AY, Schmid MF, Stoilova-McPhie S Sci Rep 2015 5 11212
- Lipid nanotechnologies for structural studies of membrane-associated proteins.
- Stoilova-McPhie S, Grushin K, Dalm D, Miller J Proteins 2014 Nov 82 11 2902-9
- Helical organization of blood coagulation factor VIII on lipid nanotubes.
- Miller J, Dalm D, Koyfman AY, Grushin K, Stoilova-McPhie S J Vis Exp 2014 88
- Domain organization of membrane-bound factor VIII.
- Stoilova-McPhie S, Lynch GC, Ludtke S, Pettitt BM Biopolymers 2013 Jul 99 7 448-59
- 3-Dimensional structure of membrane-bound coagulation factor VIII: modeling of the factor VIII heterodimer within a 3-dimensional density map derived by electron crystallography.
- Stoilova-McPhie S, Villoutreix BO, Mertens K, Kemball-Cook G, Holzenburg A Blood 2002 Feb 99 4 1215-23
- Protein-Protein Interactions as New Targets for Ion Channel Drug Discovery.
- Stoilova-McPhie S, Ali S, Laezza F Austin J Pharmacol Ther 2013 Dec 1 2
- Hsc70-induced changes in clathrin-auxilin cage structure suggest a role for clathrin light chains in cage disassembly.
- Young A, Stoilova-McPhie S, Rothnie A, Vallis Y, Harvey-Smith P, Ranson N, Kent H, Brodsky FM, Pearse BM, Roseman A, Smith CJ Traffic 2013 Sep 14 9 987-96
- Defining the structure of membrane-bound human blood coagulation factor Va.
- Stoilova-McPhie S, Parmenter CD, Segers K, Villoutreix BO, Nicolaes GA J. Thromb. Haemost. 2008 Jan 6 1 76-82
- Structure of Arp2/3 complex in its activated state and in actin filament branch junctions.
- Volkmann N, Amann KJ, Stoilova-McPhie S, Egile C, Winter DC, Hazelwood L, Heuser JE, Li R, Pollard TD, Hanein D Science 2001 Sep 293 5539 2456-9