A native of Venezuela, Dr. Luque received her MD degree from the Universidad de Carabobo in Valencia, Venezuela and her Magister Scientiarum in Internal Medicine from the Universidad Central de Venezuela. Dr. Luque completed Infectious Diseases Fellowships at the University of Rochester in Rochester, NY and the State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY. Over the past 22 years she served as the Director of the HIV program and faculty member at the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC).
Dr. Luque brings to UTSW over 25 years of experience in infectious diseases with a strong focus on HIV infection and its complications, as well as expertise in HIV clinical research and education. She was the Clinical Research Site leader and principal investigator of the AIDS Clinical Trials Unit at the URMC, a recipient of an RO1 from NIDCD/NIH to study hearing function in HIV and co-investigator in other NIH grants.
Dr. Luque was a key contributor in the development of clinical guidelines and HIV education initiatives for New York State (NYS). Moreover, for over 24 years, she was the recipient of a grant from NYS Department of Health to provide HIV education. This program (the Clinical Education Initiative) progressed from on-site education, case presentations and regional conferences to a more diverse endeavor that now includes online educational modules, tools for mobile devices and case simulations. This educational program is designed to enhance the capacity of NYS’s diverse health care work force to improve the health outcomes of individuals with HIV, other sexually transmitted infections and hepatitis C.
Dr. Luque’s clinical practice has always emphasized patient and family-centered care, which prompted her in her role as director of the HIV program, to lead the effort to obtain NCQA certification as Patient-Centered Medical Home for the URMC HIV Program. Dr. Luque is incredibly passionate about many causes including providing care and empowering underserved and minority populations to take an active role in their health care and providing education to clinicians in developing countries. Her leisure activities center on family life, travel, theater, independent movies and tennis.
- Medical School
- Universidad De Carabobo (1976)
- Universidad Central De Venezuela Luis Razetti (1981), Internal Medicine
- University of Rochester Medical Center (1983), Infectious Diseases
- SUNY at Stony Brook Health Sciences Center (1985), Infectious Diseases
- Hearing in HIV Infection
- HIV in Women
- Human Papillomavitus Infection and Disease in Individuals Living with HIV
- Use of Technology for Patient Activation
- Effect of Depot Medoxyprogesterone Acetate on Immune Functions and Inflammatory Markers of HIV-Infected Women.
- Weinberg A, Park JG, Bosch R, Cho A, Livingston E, Aweeka F, Cramer Y, Watts DH, Luque AE, Cohn SE J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 2016 Feb 71 2 137-45
- Depot medroxyprogesterone acetate in combination with a twice-daily lopinavir-ritonavir-based regimen in HIV-infected women showed effective contraception and a lack of clinically significant interactions, with good safety and tolerability: results of the ACTG 5283 study.
- Luque AE, Cohn SE, Park JG, Cramer Y, Weinberg A, Livingston E, Klingman KL, Aweeka F, Watts DH Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 2015 Apr 59 4 2094-101
- Identifying Effective Approaches for Dissemination of Clinical Evidence--Correlation Analyses on Promotional Activities and Usage of a Guideline-Driven Interactive Case Simulation Tool in a Statewide HIV-HCV-STD Clinical Education Program.
- Wang D, Le XH, Luque AE Stud Health Technol Inform 2015 216 515-9
- Activation of persons living with HIV for treatment, the great study.
- Fiscella K, Boyd M, Brown J, Carroll J, Cassells A, Corales R, Cross W, El'Daher N, Farah S, Fine S, Fowler R, Hann A, Luque A, Rodriquez J, Sanders M, Tobin J BMC Public Health 2015 15 1 1056
- Hearing function in patients living with HIV/AIDS.
- Luque AE, Orlando MS, Leong UC, Allen PD, Guido JJ, Yang H, Wu H Ear Hear 2014 Nov-Dec 35 6 e282-90
- Evaluation of an Enhanced Role-Based Access Control model to manage information access in collaborative processes for a statewide clinical education program.
- Le XH, Doll T, Barbosu M, Luque A, Wang D J Biomed Inform 2014 Aug 50 184-95
- Mycobacterium avium-complex pericarditis: a case of unmasking immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome.
- Babu TM, Laguio M, Luque AE, Larppanichpoonphol P Int J STD AIDS 2014 Feb 25 2 148-51
- The impact of age on the prognostic capacity of CD8+ T-cell activation during suppressive antiretroviral therapy.
- Lok JJ, Hunt PW, Collier AC, Benson CA, Witt MD, Luque AE, Deeks SG, Bosch RJ AIDS 2013 Aug 27 13 2101-10
- Bridging the digital divide in HIV care: a pilot study of an iPod personal health record.
- Luque AE, Corales R, Fowler RJ, DiMarco J, van Keken A, Winters P, Keefer MC, Fiscella K J Int Assoc Provid AIDS Care 2013 Mar-Apr 12 2 117-21
- Associations between genital tract infections, genital tract inflammation, and cervical cytobrush HIV-1 DNA in US versus Kenyan women.
- Mitchell C, Balkus JE, McKernan-Mullin J, Cohn SE, Luque AE, Mwachari C, Cohen CR, Coombs R, Frenkel LM, Hitti J J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 2013 Feb 62 2 143-8
Antiretroviral Therapy: Therapeutic Agents, Dosing, Pharmocokinetics, and Their Use. In Reese and Betts' A Practical Approach to Infectious Diseases
Luque A, Cohn S, Weinberg G, and Mariuz P (2003). Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- Bridging Fellowship in Neuroimaging
University of Rochester's Provost Office (2015)
- NHMA Leadership Award
National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA) (2008)
- Linda Laubestein Clinical Excellence Award
New York State DOH AIDS Institute (2002)
- NHMA Fellowship at New York University
National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA) (2000)
- Distinguished Physician of the Year
Visiting Nurse Services (1995)
- Overseas Study Scholarship (for Infectious Diseases Fellowship)
Fundacion Gran Mariscal de Ayacucho (Venezuelan Government Program) (1982-1985)
- Fellowship Award to attend Magister Scientiarum Program
Universidad Central de Venezuela (1979-1981)
- American Academy of HIV Medicine (2002)
- National Hispanic Medical Association (2000)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (1998)
- American Society for Microbiology (1992)
- Venezuelan Society of Infectious Diseases (1986)