A. Dean Sherry, PhD, is Professor of Chemistry at the University of Texas at Dallas and Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He holds the Cecil & Ida Green Distinguished Chair in Systems Biology at UT Dallas and serves as Director of the Advanced Imaging Research Center at UT Southwestern. He was recognized for his outstanding achievements in chemistry by winning the Doherty Award from the DFW Section of the American Chemical Society in 1990, was honored by receiving the Chancellor’s Outstanding Teaching Award at UT-Dallas in 1994, was elected as a Fellow of the ISMRM in 2011, and won the Gold Medal from the World Molecular Imaging Society in 2013. Dr. Sherry research interests include applications of 2H and 13C stable isotopes as tracers of metabolism in vivo and the development of novel molecular imaging agents for MRI. He has been actively involved with the development of 13C isotopomer methods to measure flux through complex metabolic pathways in vivo and continues to apply those techniques to the analysis of liver and heart metabolism in small animal models and humans. Together with other scientists in the AIRC, he is now developing hyperpolarized 13C tracers for imaging metabolism in real time in isolated organs, intact animals and humans. He has also been active in the development of gadolinium complexes as MRI contrast agents since the early 1980s and is now working on the next generation smart agents that respond to biological indices such as pH and metal ions important in cellular metabolism. His group recently reported a novel Zn2+ sensor for monitoring beta-cell function in the pancreas in vivo by MRI. He was first to report the use of europium complexes as PARACEST agents and maintains an active interest in developing novel paraCEST reporter systems for molecular imaging. He served as Deputy Editor for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine from 2010 to 2014 and currently serves as Associate Editor of Contrast Media & Molecular Imaging.
|Undergraduate||Wisconson State University , Chemistry|
|Graduate School||Kansas State University (1971)|
- Stable isotope tracers for imaging metabolism in vivo, responsive MR imaging agents for detecting changes in biology or physiology in vivo.
- On-Bead Combinatorial Synthesis and Imaging of Chemical Exchange Saturation Transfer Magnetic Resonance Imaging Agents To Identify Factors That Influence Water Exchange.
- Napolitano R, Soesbe TC, De Leo´n-Rodri´guez LM, Sherry AD, Udugamasooriya DG Journal of the American Chemical Society 2011 Jul 13023-30
- Investigations into whole water, prototropic and amide proton exchange in lanthanide(iii) DOTA-tetraamide chelates.
- Woods M, Pasha A, Zhao P, Tircso G, Chowdhury S, Kiefer G, Woessner DE, Sherry AD Dalton Trans 2011 Jul 40 25 6759-64
- DNP by thermal mixing under optimized conditions yields >60,000-fold enhancement of 89Y NMR signal.
- Lumata L, Jindal AK, Merritt ME, Malloy CR, Sherry AD, Kovacs Z J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011 Jun 133 22 8673-80
- In vivo determination of human breast fat composition by (1) H magnetic resonance spectroscopy at 7 T.
- Dimitrov IE, Douglas D, Ren J, Smith NB, Webb AG, Sherry AD, Malloy CR Magnetic resonance in medicine : official journal of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine / Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2011 Jun
- T(2) exchange agents: A new class of paramagnetic MRI contrast agent that shortens water T(2) by chemical exchange rather than relaxation.
- Soesbe TC, Merritt ME, Green KN, Rojas-Quijano FA, Sherry AD Magnetic resonance in medicine : official journal of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine / Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2011 May
- Imaging the extracellular pH of tumors by MRI after injection of a single cocktail of T(1) and T(2) contrast agents.
- Martinez GV, Zhang X, García-Martín ML, Morse DL, Woods M, Sherry AD, Gillies RJ NMR in biomedicine 2011 May
- Europium(III) DOTA-derivatives having ketone donor pendant arms display dramatically slower water exchange.
- Green KN, Viswanathan S, Rojas-Quijano FA, Kovacs Z, Sherry AD Inorg Chem 2011 Mar 50 5 1648-55
- Off-resonance saturation MRI of superparamagnetic nanoprobes: theoretical models and experimental validations.
- Khemtong C, Togao O, Ren J, Kessinger CW, Takahashi M, Sherry AD, Gao J J. Magn. Reson. 2011 Mar 209 1 53-60
- The effect of 13C enrichment in the glassing matrix on dynamic nuclear polarization of [1-13C]pyruvate.
- Lumata L, Kovacs Z, Malloy C, Sherry AD, Merritt M Phys Med Biol 2011 Mar 56 5 N85-92
- Strategies for labeling proteins with PARACEST agents.
- Vasalatiy O, Zhao P, Woods M, Marconescu A, Castillo-Muzquiz A, Thorpe P, Kiefer GE, Sherry AD Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2011 Feb 19 3 1106-14
Honors & Awards
- Gold Medal Award from the World Molecular Imaging Society
Gold Medal Award (2013)
- Fellow, International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
Fellow of the ISMRM (2011)
- Director, Advanced Imaging Research Center
UT Southwestern (2005)
- Distinguished Chair in Systems Biology
UT Dallas (2005)
- Cecil & Ida Green Honors Chair in Chemistry
UT Dallas (2002)
- UT Dallas Chancellor's Council Outstanding Teaching Award
- WT Doherty Award
American Chemical Society (1990)
- NIH Senior Fellow
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow